Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Are there any solutions to an icy driveway which do not hurt the driveway?
Find answers to your legal question.

Are there any solutions to an icy driveway which do not hurt the driveway?

I've heard that salt is damaging?

George A
Rating
Inexpensive non-corrosive methods would be sand, cinders. cement/asphalt safe ice melt products and possibly kitty litter.

The expensive solution would be to install a heated driveway system. That way you would never need to shovel, salt, sand or cinder your drive. Just flip a switch to turn on the heating elements or in the more expensive systems, it is automatically controlled by a thermostat.

Mr. Magoo
Rating
Don't use rock salt. Especially on concrete or paving stones - it puts little holes in the concrete. There are non-rock salt products you can use. There is one online put out by a company called ULine. I'm sure you can find something similar at the local grocery or hardware store or a big box hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot or even Walmart.

unplugged-Pro-Peace
Rating
salt will only damage if you have a concrete drive way. and it will harm plants if you get the salt on them.

there is salt you can buy that will not harm concrete or plants.

if you have an ashphalt drive way, you can use regular salt. no problem. well, if it gets into the storm water, its bad for the enviornment.

you can also use sand.

whatever you choose.

Friendly Stranger..
Actually you can purchase sand or spread cinder on your driveway. Both of these items increase your traction and they do not damage your drive way. Salt can be damaging because it can eat away at the paint on your drive way. Salt is only a last resort but try sand or cinder.

UCANTCME
You can use sand instead...

kelly_f_1999
well they are many things that one might use and salt is the best really once the ice and snow melts and the temp rises you can wash it off with water hose

pedro7of9
Rating
dont worry about...hundreds of millions of pounds of salt are poured on drives and roads every year.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it safe to ...........?
Is it safe to leave in-car "holders" in your car? I have an in-car holder for my Ipod and one for my navigation system. Is it safe to leave the holders in the car?...

I got a red light ticket while having my permit in Ohio. What will happen?
I thought the light was green, someone hit me at an intersection, and 3 witnesses told the cops it was red. The light probably was red then. I haven't went to court yet, as I HAVE to go. But, ...

Car crash what will happen?
my friend told his mom he will go outside and clean her car but he decided to joy ride and smashed it lighltly to a fence behind it. the car only has minor scrathces and fence is a little bit dend if ...

Why do they call a drive way when you stop there?
how come you park on a drive way but drive on a parkway??...

What to do when a car can't climb up a snowy hill that's only about a 25 degree slope?
It's snowing a lot right now here(NY), and my dad just got back home.

He told me that his car couldn't climb up a hill that wasn't even steep

or anything, and ...

Obstructing duel carriage ways and M ways?
Does it annoy others when you are blocked from overtaking by a driver who stays in the outside lane of a duel carriageway? Traffic backs up and the near side lane is free why do they not move over ...

Careless driving and left turn ticket.?
I was involved in an accident. I pulled out in the middle of the intersection (to make a left turn) and stopped waiting for everyone going straight to go through. About 4 or 5 cars went straight and I...

How to find out how to install carseat?
i am trying to find out the proper way to install a car seat for my almost 2yr old girl. its an 89 ford ranger extended cab. the front seats are bucket so there is no center space and the back only ...

Is my car dangerous with rusty jacking point?
i jacked my bmw 318i up by the jacking point at the side of the car and i noticed that it was rusty and now it has bent up abit. im worried that it mite be chassis damage....

How Do You Get a Noise Violation Without Knowing It?
I just got a speeding ticket yesterday (and I was speeding, so no dispute there). However, when the cop was running my license he said that there was a warrant out because I had gotten a noise ...

Seat belts and Newton's first law of motion?
Can anyone please help me one comparing the similarities with seat belt protections and Newtons first law of motion?And how Newton's 1st law describes the importance of seat belts, and what can ...

Do lidar speed radars take photos?
When they target a speeder do they take a photo of the car to enable a fine to be sent, or are they only there for the police to check speeds then chase if necessary. And do they allow for speedos to ...

WHEN YOU LOOK AHEAD WHILE DRIVING, IT IS BEST TO?
A. Look beyond the car ahead of you
B. Look only at the back of the car ahead of you
C. Focus on the right side of your ...

HID headlights in ontario?
is it illegal to have hid lights installed in your car, what brand is ...

Driving to big bear tomorow do i need chains?
We are going in a two wheel drive Sequoia and i am really afraid its going to be icy. The for cast says it is not going to snow and its fairly sunny tomorow and thursday but should we still get ...

Driving my wagon how to stay awake?
im a long distance wagon driver and i tend to get sleepy i pull over but costs time witch i haven't got any good remedy's to stay awake coffee doesn't ...

What are your tips for winter/night driving...?

Policeman????? 10 points?
i was wondering are there any policemen that go on yahoo, because i always get good answers and i want to know if there are any policemen on yahoo. I also want to know what it is like being a ...

I can't find the vehicle placard that tells me the pressure my tires should be, help?
It's a 1997 Chevy Malibu and I can't find the placard in any of the doors, the glovey, or the trunk. Does anyone know what my cold tire pressure should be?
Additional Details
A...

What should i know? PLEASE ANSWER!!!!?
I am taking my learner's permit test today. what should i know?
all answers are appreciated....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, April 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links