Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Are you supposed to walk with or against traffic?
Find answers to your legal question.

Are you supposed to walk with or against traffic?

Mr. KnowItAll
Rating
Ride with.
Walk against.

DannyK
Rating
Against.

But you better be on the shoulder when I'm coming.

peter w
walk against the traffic and ride your bike with the traffic but you have to obey the traffic signs

XenonAudio
Neither really matters, but if I had to, I would walk against traffic so I can anticipate what oncoming cars are doing. What matters most is that you walk in a safe area designated for pedestrian travel. You are risking your life when you walk on the side of a street where there are no sidewalks.

* * * Support good answers! By submitting a "thumbs up" rating
for a good answer you help reward good answerers with up to 50
additional points should they be selected as the best answer. * * *
_
_
_
_
_

steelypen
Walk against traffic.

tlbs101
If there is no curb/sidewalk -- walk facing traffic (against).

If there IS a sidewalk -- it doesn't matter.

Ryan R
How many times do we have to deal with this question? Look in the archives first.

You are supposed to walk against traffic. It is the law.

Buddy
Use sidewalks when available, and do not walk in the street.

Walk on the left side of the road if there are no sidewalks. Step off the pavement when a car approaches.

willow
against.
u don wan any serial killer mowing u down as roadkill, do ya?
bet on yoyos not seeing u while on the cell.
then it's goodbye charlie

Shelley L
I feel safer walking against traffic because I can see what's coming.

J.M.C
Rating
always face traffic

gorlitchi 2.0
Rating
I live on a reservation where there is signs up informing us that we are suppose to walk on the right side of the of the highway.Meaning against the traffic.some people do, so don,t.But the good thing about it is that nobody has been charged .

ginger p
against

Anthony M
Rating
if it is dark I walk against traffic so I can watch vehicle as they approach. If it is good visibility I walk with traffic.

jduck1979
Most books I've read which mention this subject recommend walking on the side with the Traffic coming towards you.

However, personal experience tells me it's safer to take whichever side of the road gives you the best view of what's coming + gives you the most room to dodge out of the way if you have to.. and if that means having your back to the traffic, use your ears to listen for what's coming + check behind every so often

evilcharm1
You are supposed to walk/ride against traffic.

First so that you can see what's coming and secondly so if you do get hit there is less of an impact.

If you are facing away and get hit by a car, you are thrown forward at that speed. But if you have a head on, there is less speed and supposedly less damage.

ThatsDumb
So its mostly recommended and not law to walk against traffic because everyone is scared to be hit? Well you must all live where there are way to many hit and runs and drunks to make y'all scared. So if you live in a community where no one gets hit out walking or rarely ever, then which side do you walk? And if there is no sidewalk but a path as large or larger than a sidewalk, than why walk against traffic? Sounds like a matter of opinion and fear rather than fact and law.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should driving age be lowered to 15?

Should one drive the speed limit or keep up with the flow of traffic if the flow is driving over the limit??

If you drive your car into a brick wall at 100 miles per hour, would you die instantly?

Why is AMBULANCE written in mirror view?
On an AMBULANCE van why is it written in the mirror view format??

What does every one think about the new airline regulations?
Do you think they are being too strict?...

AM I messing up my car??
OK I live on a Marine COrps base and the speed limit is 20-25 so I always set the Cruise bec. if you go over the MP"S (military police) will get you in a heart beat.. I do this everysingle time I...

Why do people run and ride bikes on the side of the road when there is a sidewalk?
I see this all the time where I live. People will jog or ride their bike on the side of the road. There are plenty of sidewalks that aren't being used. Why don't they just use the sidewalk?...

To anyone who rides a moped or motorbike...?
I'm thinking of getting a moped and I'm just wondering what it is like to be on the road.. do you feel nervous of the traffic, or do you feel safe? I've never driven anything before (I&...

Right of way - cars or pedestrians?
Sometimes there are crossing places that have lowered curbs and those bobbles for partially sighted people but there are no markings/ signings to suggest motorists have to stop at these. (No lights, ...

How do you go over speed bumps?
if you have a car that is low like a lambo or someother supercar or like a tuned car with a low bumper...how r you saposed to go over speed bumps?...

Why do cars drive with their headlights on in broad daylight?
This is a phenomenon I noticed when I was on holidays in USA and now it's happening in Australia. I can understand turning headlights on during a rain storm or overcast conditions, etc but why ...

Need some tips on driving a van in the snow/ice?
I'm driving a van, a 2002 Chevy Venture, in the snow and ice for the first time. I'm not a novice driver in the snow, but this van handles very differently than any other vehicle I've ...

Which uses more gas when driving a car at 40 mph--with windows open or closed with a/c on?
open no a/c or windows closed with a/c ...

What is it with men and road rage?
I have been dating this guy for about four months. He told me tonight that he got upset at a guy because it cut him in traffic and he gave him the finger. Is this something I should be concerned ...

Should I feel guilty?
A dove flew right into the front window to my car on the freeway while I was driving 65. I feel so horrible. It was trying to get its wing up to fly away and it just couldn't and it hit my ...

It has been made official recently that 'undertaking' another car on the motorway is an offence.?
Why does this not apply to motorcycles? I see it more from them than anybody.
Additional Details
I am not having a go at motorcyclists in any way. If nobody stops you doing something, ...

I was arrested last night for D.U.I...car crash?
I am so sad about my story. This has never happened to me before. I left my friends house(birthday party) They let me and didnt take my keys or offer me a ride home.
I drove on the highway ...

My dad really traumatized me this morning and I still feel bad sniff sniff?
I just got my learner's permit. I'm 18 and a woman now so I was able to sign for myself. My boyfriend hasn't reached adulthood yet he's 17 1/2 so his mom signed for him too. Y...

How do I keep cars from parking on my lawn?
My lawn extends out to the edge of our street. There is no real curb, so cars free free to park with their tires on the edge of my lawn...I was thinking about putting down some bricks or something to ...

When will they let us turn left at traffic lights regardless of what the traffic light says.?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links