Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

By Law how far away do you need to be from another car while driving?
Find answers to your legal question.

By Law how far away do you need to be from another car while driving?

I got pulled over because I was to close to another car, I was told that I needed to be 100 ft away! I think he lied?

honest
1 car length per every 10 mile per hour you are traveling.

asmikeocsit
Rating
Honest,Honest is right.

GRUMPY
If I remember correctly, I think it is one car length for every ten MPH

?
A car length or two.

topaz7494
It's one car length for every 10mph you're going! So if youre driving at 60 mph, then you better have enough room for 6 cars to go in between you and that car ahead of you. Yah right like anyone does that! But still I believe that's the law here in this state! (Florida)

--- and if someone gets up on my @ss, I like to pump my brakes a little. Go ahead hit me! You better have insurance! Cus I'm going to be soooo hurt!

roscoe1
Rating
Not unless you were going 100 miles per hour it is actually 1 car lenth for each ten miles per hour so if you are going forty it would be forty feet and so on.

all_purpose_screen_name
Rating
Four seconds. Distance depends on speed. When the car in front of you passes an object, you need to be able to count 4 seconds before you pass it. Stop tailgating.

niki-niki-tembo
Rating
Hi, It's one car length for every 10 miles an hour your car is going. Ex: you are going 40 miles per hour, that's 4 car lengths [or approximately 40 feet away from the car in front of you.]
The cop was not being truthful, unless you were traveling 100 miles an hour....which I doubt.
Sometimes these cops make up their own rules!!!
It takes you 10 feet to stop your vehicle for each 10 miles per hour that you are going.

yars232c
Rating
100 or 200 feet would be for municipal vehicles like fire trucks and such, you'd have to check with your state's DMV. The rule of thumb that I was taught was one car length per 10 miles an hour. I don't think you were driving 100 mph.

king_davis13
The actual answer is 1 second for every 10 MPH. To judge how many seconds you are behind someone simply pick out a landmark and begin counting when the car in front of you passes it and stop when you get to it.

Example:
10 MPH = 1 sec
50 MPH = 5 sec
60 MPH = 6 sec

I hope I have been helpful

Adam the Engineer
You should follow at no more than 1 car length for every 10 mph. To give you an idea, the average car is 20feet in length. So, if you were going fifty miles per hour, you should follow at 5*20 = 100 feet. This number is a round figure and includes the time it would take you to even start to push on the brakes if the person in front of you instanly stopped. Its a good idea to leave following distance, but i'm sure you already know that. Anyhow, I wouldn't try to fight the citation, but if you're nice the judge will probably reduce your ticket.

love is soo complicated
Rating
100ft away!!!!! no way thats so not true. probably 5 or 6 feet

phunboy2112
Rating
The law says 1 car length for each tem miles an hour of travel...so, if you're going 40, you should be four car lengths back. Of course, if you try to leave that kind of distance, stop idiot will cut you off and jump in there, but that's another story entirely.

john a
Rating
100 ft for sure

ja_mie_ko
Rating
in australia its 2 seconds

Katie *lil' phoenix*
you are suppose to be at least 10 seconds behind someone.i know because my best friends dad is a cop so yeah i had hard time to grasp it.

Charles K
Rating
100 feet is correct if you are driving 55 miles or faster or on the highway. In generally at least 2-3 car lengths. It may not seem like 100 feet is alot but the yellow markers on a highway are even further apart than that, but because you are traveling so fast they seem so close apart.

Captain Seawater
Rating
Most ways to be sure is to follow the two second rule-one onethousand two onethousand...by picking an object in the distance and count-if you pass it before you hit two thousand you're too close.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I need to report a truck driver that is abusing methampetamines how / who do i call?

Does the police officer have to talk to both people involved in a car accident?
I was in a car accident and I never got to talk to the police officer to explain what happened and all I was able to do was just give him my license and registration and the next time I even saw him I...

Isn't it illegal to drive with rear fog lights on when they are not required?
Has anyone been nicked for leaving them on long after the fog has cleared?...

Do you drive with two hands?
Please say no...
Additional Details
Whoa! I'm a little perplexed by the amount of thumbs ups and thumbs downs on this silly question, but hey, if I inspired you guys to think I ...

What is the point of swithching on fog-lights when you can see?
the car ahead perfectly clearly. Rear fog lights only dazzle the driver behind and reduce the change in light when the driver in front uses the brakes. Do you agree that they should not be used ...

Why are cars not installed with speed limiters?
buses are fitted with speed limiters (Not sure of the name of this device, (tachometer?) to stop them from going too fast. A lot of people are fined for driving too fast. Surely a lot of money would ...

Who thinks lack of concentration on the road kills not speed?

Can driving really fast fool the speed camera?
If I drive the car to sth like 150mphs, will it be too fast for the camera to catch me?...

Don't cars come equipped with turn signals anymore?
Huh, I always thought it was the law to use a turn signal when you turn on or off a roadway or change lanes.

Even if you have your phone glued to your ear.
Even if you're in a ...

If people dont want to wear seat belts, then why in some states its a law to wear them?

Do you drive the speed limit?

Do you think senior citzen (65+) should be behind the wheel?
they are so slow and blind. i almost got into a car accident today....

Can u fink of any facts on drink driving 4 me?

Additional Details
i am only at secondary skool! help me!...

Why should "Speed" kill? Why just focus on speed and generalize it?
In the UK, you often here a phrase called "Speed kills". In other countries you never hear this sentence and on display boards is says "Reckless driving kills" instead. This would ...

Does anyone else think that this is ridiculous? (Miley Cyrus seatbelt incident)?
Here is the story if you don't know it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/
So, Miley Cyrus and her dad were riding in the BACK of a vehicle and ...

Drivers must always keep in mind that:
A) Their driving can be affected by emotional factors.
B) Their driving will affect their physical condition.
C) Emotional factors have little affect on their driving.
D) Their driving ...

What is the national speed limit in uk?
im having a little bebate with my brother,he thinks the national speed limit in the uk is 70mph but i think it's 60mph.could someone please put our minds to rest..............cheers.............

A bit hypocritical???
After the recent change in law about the use of mobile phone when driving what are your views on the police using their personal radio`s when they are behind the wheel of a car?? I know some may say ...

Whats the answe to the driving test?
i want to past the test the first ...

How do you tell a car behind you to turn their front lights on?
Here's the example:
I was leaving a restaurant in my car with my bro following behind in his car - we were going to another destination and it was dark.
I noticed while on the main ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links