Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Can Police make a stop on the freeway?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can Police make a stop on the freeway?

I heard that only the "Highway Patrol" can pull you over. But, sometimes I see the Sherriff or the regular Police on the freeway. Since this technically isn't their jurisdiction, can they still pull you over on the freeway?

D. A
I don't know about where you live, but where I live, if the interstate is within the city limits of the city he works in, he can pull you anytime. If not, he has to contact the jurisdiction it's in and ask if he can pull you for speeding, unless you are going over 15 mph over the speed limit, which is considered reckless driving. If you are creating a situation that is or may endanger the lives of other drivers (weaving, driving so slowly it's impeding the normal flow of traffic, seriously tailgating a much smaller car), he can pull you without permission, but he must contact the jurisdiction and tell them that he is pulling you. That's why cops will pass you on the interstate, when you are going 8-10 mph over the limit. Most highway patrolman will not even pull you for going under 10mph under the speed limit. They need to spend their time concentrating on the ones who are more dangerous.

♥Tom♥
Yes they can... maybe they can give you a ticket too...

I believe that in most states (maybe all) the local police can write tickets within the city limits... or outside if they were in pursuit inside limits.

bugzaper
i dont know

gamemanual
Highway patrol as you call it is all-so called state police in other states and if we go by what you asked no on but highway or state police can pull you over, for anything, but sorry the sheriff has a big jurisdiction in a state, and regular police for a town or city, or sum time county, and if they need to go beyond they're jurisdiction, they get the OK from the next jurisdiction, or get back up from that jurisdiction or should I say assist that other jurisdiction.

merigold00
Rating
In many states, all certified officers can pull you over no matter where you are. As a professional courtesy, many of them will leave writing the ticket to the appropriate agency, but they have the power to do it themselves. If that officer hits the lights and sirens you need to stop, or you may be facing more violations, including fleeing an officer, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, etc

Bones
Yes, jurisdiction in those cases are usually handled by pulling you over or "making the stop" then calling the appropriate authorities if necessary. Some places just don't care who catches the bad guys just so long as they are caught.

GUY
Of course they can

Crazie f
Rating
I think that county cops can pull you over but not city....not sure but is a good question....and i am going to look into this,.........i have a question back......Is it illegal to drive barefoot? I was told my whole life that it is......because if you are in a wreck you have nothing to protect your feet.....and sandals and flipflops are made of ******* military armor or what......then I asked a volunteer police officer and he said it isn't illegal but he was like 110 yrs old.....

a99blkdog
any cop can give a ticket or make arrest ANYWHERE. Just try and argue with a cop.....

Padme
of course!

Ironball
Rating
If the pursuit started in their jurisdiction they can pull you over anywhere as they didn't loose sight of you.

Paul
Rating
In California, the city police or county sheriff of whatever city the freeway is passing through can stop you. They USUALLY don't, but they can if they want to.

ALSO, CHP can ticket you on any state hwy, such as Beach Blvd,
which is state hwy 39.

JEFFBEV
Rating
Yes they can. Highway patrol can also pull people over on city streets. Better watch what you are doing out there.

fire4511
Rating
Yes, any police officer can pull you over, and charge you with a crime or traffic violation!!

Curious
No they can't - just go as fast as you can and flip them off if they try to pull you over.

Not really.

oklatom
Rating
Any officer can made a stop anywhere. All it has to be is "in the interest of public safety".

eagleucsteve
Rating
The police can shoot you dead for being "the guy they thought you were", whether you're on the freeway or the crapper.

Josie
Rating
Yes they can.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Driving with one hand?
do people do it as they becoming more expirience or what. It looks cool to me because i just started driving and use both hands....

There are a few cars on the road that weren't made with seatbelts so,can you still be ticketed?
if you're driving one?...

What is the correct position for a stick shift when parked?
I drive a stick shift and when I park I leave the car in netral and put the emergency brake on. Is this correct?...

If a bus crashed with a full load of passengers would the law introduce seat belts as compulsary?
i travel on public buses all the time and i have often wondered how many passengers would be killed instantly as there are no saftey measures aboard....

Why do we drive left side in some countries and right side in some? Can we just standardize it?

Does anyone know how to beat a speeding ticket?
I know not to speed, but I have heard it was easy to beat, even when using radar- is the stories true?
Additional Details
Lots of answers so quickly- to answer everyone- I was doing (or ...

What is your biggest distraction when driving?
I'm doing a paper for my English Composition class and I need your help. I'm looking for the top 100 answers of what distracts you the most when you are driving? Short, sweet, and to the ...

Speeding ticket - 65mph on a 40mph road....what now?
Hi All,

I have just recieved my first speeding ticket in the last 1 and a half years of driving. I have been caught doing 65 on a 40 mph road.
Does anyone know the possible penalty.<...

Which side of the road r u suppost to walk on? agaist traffic or with the traffic?
and also is there a certain age where u have to b to walk alone?...

Have you ever been in a car crash and?
got out without a scratch?...

By Law how far away do you need to be from another car while driving?
I got pulled over because I was to close to another car, I was told that I needed to be 100 ft away! I think he lied?...

Why dont people use turn indicators anymore?
It seems like more often than not, people are not using their turn indicators. Not only is it a lack of compliance with our traffic laws, but its also an outright lack of courtesy to your fellow ...

Try this experiment.?
Drive your car or ride your bicycle with one eye closed, and report back on your thoughts about this....

At what age should children be taught about road safety?

As with motorists with mobile phones,should pedestrians be banned from using earphones.?
Just had a schoolboy on a sixty mph road stroll out in front of me and when asked why he said he liked listening to his music.
Here in the UK should pedestrians be held responsible if they cause ...

Is there thing i can do about a neighbour from parking their work van outside my front window every night? ?
i live on a small 2 laned street. in scotland
Additional Details
he has got 2 cars as well as his van he lives in a 1 bedroom ...

How do i stop people parking in my gate way?
Theres these couple who leaves next door to us and the keep blocking my gate way .I went down and asked them to move it 3 or 4 times and they still park there.They are blow ins from somewhere else ...

My car alarm went off tonight and i was in the house. I am afraid to go outside. What might have set it off?
I was walking down the stairs of my house when i thought i heard a car alarm, i went towards my kitchen (near the driveway) and it was my car (2008 Toyota Matrix) that was going off. It stopped when ...

Ideas on how i can DEFLATE my ex boyfriend's tires........?
i need to find a way to do it. Since I am no expert in cars AT ALL..is it going to make noise? should i use a knife? needle? ..

(im not going to explain why because it is too long, but ...

HOW OFTEN DO YOU DRlVE DRUNK?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links