Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Can regular rock salt (for water softeners) be used to salt an icy driveway?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can regular rock salt (for water softeners) be used to salt an icy driveway?

Will it work as well as the salt that is marketed for use on driveways? Is there really much difference between the two kinds (other than the price)?

David W
Rating
It worked fine on our drive and sidewalk; just try to keep it away from grass and landscaping, as too much may kill plants and ruin the soil.

I've also read that plain lawn fertilizer works, too, but it would be more expensive.

mdcbert
yes, it works the same.

the lock man
salt is salt

Bob
All salt does is lower the freezing point of water. Rock salt sold for melting ice is Calcium chloride and is usually green, it lowers the freezing point of water to somewhere near or below 0 F. Rock salt for water softeners as edible salt, sodium chloride, it will lower the freezing point of water into the low teens. i am not 100% sure of the temp figures but they should be close.

dadnbob
It should work the same. I've even used table salt on the front steps when we had an unexpected ice storm and no driveway salt.

George A
Rating
Any form of Sodium Chloride (salt) will melt ice as long as the temperature's above freezing.

Turtle 6
Rating
Yes, there's some differences; but water softener salt will work! And if you crush it into small pieces or even a powder? Boy does it work! I did the powder thing on 11 sidewalks during a recent ice storm here in Illinois -- those were the only ones that stayed clear.

Niko
salt is salt. sure, although they claim that some salts work in lower temperatures than others. It should work though.

st4byfour
Rating
yes it will work fine but will eat the side walk if you use to much

UCANTCME
Rating
Yes but remember that this will go into the city drainage and for that the fines are very high plus you will also kill your lawn for next year..

Dave Hughes
I mistakenly put road salt in my water softener, but ws able to get the majority of it out when I realized my mistake. Will the road salt I didn't get out harm my water softener? Thanks.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Who has the right away in the parking lot?
I was parked in a parking lot. The cars parked rear outward. My car and another car started backing out at the same time. We both hit each other. Who's fault is it? We got out of the car the ...

Isn't getting arrested for a non accident DUII like being arrested for thinking about committing a crime?
Lets face it talking on a cell phone while driving causes more accidents and has been proven more dangerouse then someone with a bac of.08...

Teen driving without a permit....?
Ok I am 16 and I am planning on taking drivers training this summer. Well before I start drivers training my dad wants to teach me a bit and have me get some real road experience before I start ...

In australia is it illegal to drive barefoot?
i do it all the time and thought it was ok-it doesnt say you cant in the learners book.however some of my friends etc have said that its illegal. does anyone know if thats true?...

When you go into someone's home for the first time, do you ever smell their couch cushions?

Drink driving?
I stopped drinking at 7pm this evning. I had 4 units in total. According to various sites on the internet it takes an hour to burn off one unit. Does this mean that I can drive my car as of 11pm?...

Please can your answer this question for me its for a contest im gonna be competing in?
how do road and bridge conditions affect traffic and safety on our local roadways, and how might new technology and improved road materials impact the safety of public ...

Why do people poor mouth truck drivers, when all of us take advantage of them when we go to a store, ect..?
Truck Drivers " Keep America Rollin' "
Additional Details
I work with truck drivers all day every day, i dispatch truckers in Georgia....

How do u drive a car...?
i need to know the basic theoritical stuff......

In a standard automatic car does shifting into Drive while reversing and going forward damage the transmission
Such as when leaving a driveway or parking space? Does it tear up your transmission, since there's no gear-grinding evident? And will the opposite do the same: Drive into reverse and ...

Why are triangle shapes used on road signs?

All season tires versus Winter tires?
I bought a new car and it came with four-seasons tires. Should I get Winter tires? Are the Winter tires much better?

And yes, it does snow a lot in my state....

Should i kill my self?
ok i hve a lamborghini and there is this realy big guy i mean realy realy big guy that keeps following me and he keeps saying get in my belly and it looks like mike ...

What should I do?
I crashed into an orange Skoda today. What a mess. Jam sponge and icing everywhere!

http://www.youtube.com/w...

I need a major roadway for my state Colorado. NOW.?
I need it now. NOW NOW NOW. It's 12:00. i need it in 15 minutes....

What's the major purpose of a car battery?

As a parent, do you want seatbelts on school buses?
read this and weep:http://www.ncsbs.org/tes...

Is it dangerous to use glasses when airbag activated?

Car A-pillars are wider than they used to be & impair drivers vision. Have you hit a ped or m/c as a result?
Should car designers make them narrower as they were for years?...

Why don't planes and cars have shielding to keep cell phones from working?
Since laws that say that you cannot use cell phones when driving and when on a plane are widely disobeyed, why has the government not tried to mandate designing cars and planes with shielding to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, December 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links