Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Can you over inflate your tires a little bit and still be okay?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you over inflate your tires a little bit and still be okay?

Hi there. I know the recommended psi (when cold) of my car is 30. When I go to put air into the tires, I usually top it past 30 (to 33 or so), and then slowly bring the pressure back down closer to 30.

Question is, is it okay to leave the tire pressure a little above 30, (ie. at 31?) Often with my luck when I try to bring down the air pressure I will end up letting too much air out, going under 30 and I will have to fill the tire up with air again. Plus, the closest gas station is 2 min away, so I know my tires won't be absolutely cold when I get there.

So it is okay to leave the psi at 31 without damaging the car with the usual damages associated with over inflation (uneven wear and tear, damages to your shocks, etc)?

Crazy Larry
Rating
One of my cars is a smaller car. Door post placard recommends 32 PSI (cold) all round. But I commonly carry myself and three passengers in this car so I run the tires at 34-35 PSI all round, summer and winter. My tires are 2 years old and show no significant signs of uneven wear. The speed limit here is 70 MPH and we drive at an average of 75 MPH.

Remember; the door placard label only gives a recommended tire pressure. You as the driver can adjust that to suit your driving style and the loads that you carry in the vehicle. My personal recommendation is that you don't go lower or higher by more than 10% either way.

llivewire
Rating
I think what you are doing will be just fine.

Eric F
won't hurt anything at all.
Just don't inflate tires past the max pressure that's stamped on the sidewall of the tire.

Adam D
A little shouldn't hurt. My dad always told me that the recommended level isn't enough, since the tires will wear faster when their underinflated so that you have to buy them more often.

mutterfugger
A couple PSI over may not hurt other than the usual damaged mentioned. Keep in mind, tires are designed for a specific pressure for reasons besides traction - highway speeds. Your tires expand from centrifugal force and heat - you don't want them overinflated for that.

Leigh
Rating
no way sweetie, with the temperature changes it changes the inflation level of your tires over inflating your tires could kill you - your tire could blow while you're driving down the road and SPLAT you're now one with the sidewalk

yowzer.girl
If you inflate at 1 psi over the recommended, you get better gas mileage.

Al
Rating
It is perfectly fine. Tires do expand and contract with temperatures. Thats why it is recommended that you add more air when carrying heavier load onto the vehicle. In your case 31PSI would be no harm.

unplugged-Pro-Peace
doesn't really make a big difference. as long as you don't go under 28 psi, and over 32 psi. if your at 33-35, its not going to make a big difference, but you should bring it back down to 30-32.

your fine

btw, over inflation increases tires to wear faster in the middle than on the sides. under inflation increases tires to wear faster on the sides than in the middle. just thought i'd share it.

menmaybb1
riding with over-flatted tires will cause ring wear in the center of the tire. it can also make the steering a little sluggish. one pound wont cause a great deal of trouble. but if it stays above 30 for a while you will have to change the tires sooner. the pressure wont let out a pound a second anyways. just when you go to gas station fill the tire to 30. if you go over then release the pressure back to 30

Pura9910
yes your tires have a certain recommended psi that they should be kept at. if you overinflate your tires by a few psi, it will not do any damage to your tires. if you are carrying alot of extra weight in your car, it is probably a good idea to overinflate them about 2-5 psi.but inflating them to like 60psi when they are made for 30 is a good way to have a blowout, causing someone to get hurt or killed. if you underinflate them then you will have slightly worse mileage on your car and it will be harder to drive and steer. 32 is about the best PSI to keep regular tires at.

Hammyilt
Rating
its perfectly fine, overinflation will also give you slightly better gas mileage, though it will be harder to control (slightly) but 31psi for a 30psi is not considered overinflation so don't worry. don't worry about uneven tread wear with 31 psi you're fine.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I tow another small trailer behind my travel trailer?
Hi, I have a 26 foot travel trailer. I don't want to buy one of those toy haulers to put my quad in. Has anyone towed their snowmobile/quad behind their travel trailer? Is it legal? If so I ...

What happens when a police pulls you over during a traffic stop?

Additional Details
does he physically check the vin ON your car OR does he just view the vin that is on registration and title only?...

How to get traffic lights put in somewhere they are needed?
There is a really bad Intersection where there needs to be traffic lights just wondering how I could try and get some put in before there is anymore accidents!

Thanks....

Do the speed cameras on the M25 West section still operate?
Do you know of anyone or have you been caught by them recently? I haven't seen any of them flash for well over a year now. Are they just causing fear?...

I need to stop falling asleep while I'm driving?
My daughter is 1 year old. She does not sleep through the night yet. The problem is that 2 months ago i started working at a new job and now I need to leave home at 04:30. However I can only go to ...

Have you ever been honked at by another car because of the way you are backing out of a parking space?
When I put the car in reverse, there was nobody behind me. I looked out my driver side window and there was nobody behind me. I then look at my rear view mirror, and there's nobody there. I ...

Do you come to complete stops at stop signs or do you roll through them?
does having an auto tranny make the tendency of rolling through them worse?...

Driving test advice please help?
Hey guys, so i failed the actual driving test twice and this is my last time i really need advice because i get to nervous when im in the car with them. My parents thing i drive fine but its my ...

When there is a fatal car accident due to falling asleep at the wheel, how do cops prove that?
If the driver was killed and supposedly was falling asleep how do the authorities know is was them falling asleep and not alcohol, or a cell phone or other factors?...

How do you have your car seat adjusted?
are you able to see the hood of the car? are you leaned more forward or back? my seat is fairly close and i can see the hood, also my arm is bent at a 130-140 degree angle to touch steering wheel, my ...

Rules of the road#13?
Explain why the following are important to take special note of when driving, What can you do to ensure safety for and around each?
Semis/large vehicles -
Snow mobiles -
Motorcycles -<...

QLD Road Rules. Lane position?
Hi,
my partner and i have the same debate over two issues when driving, when driving along should you stay to the left or right side nearest the centre line of your side of the road. ? I ...

Im a beginner driver and I have a serious issue?
So today was my birthday, went and got my permit, and Im fine at driving, infact I love it, just a significant part of my driving skills is off. Turning. Acceleration is fine, and braking is fine( at ...

What do I do about a handicap parking ticket?
I was with my husband grabbing a bite to eat on the way home and we parked in a handicap spot and I forgot to put up my plac card. 20 min later we were getting ready to leave and there was a $132 ...

A padded head restraint is intended.......?
a. to serve as a pillow only when you pull over to get rest
b. to be used as a neck rest when driving to combat fatigue
c. to help prevent neck injury when hit from behind
d. all of ...

Orange road sign: flag man?
What does the orange sign with the man and flag on it mean?

Here is a picture.

http://store.buyasignonl
I need to know what it means for a ...

I was in an automobile accident on the way home from work at 7:30am.?
I hit the back of someones car and there was barely any damage and I didn't have any insurance, I was contacted by the insurance companies collection agency saying that I owed them a $1,000 and ...

Pros & cons of Bill 203 (Street racing law) in Ontario? Please help ASAP !?
Hi everybody. I'm doing this report on street racing law in Ontario(known as Bill 203, which entitles you to $2000 - $10000 fines and vehicle suspensions for driving 50 km/h over speed limit), ...

Is it safe to use my high beams at night?
I have a 2006 Honda CBR F4i and I was wondering if you motorcyclists use your high beams while driving at night. The day light is always on but I just don't feel safe having only one light on at ...

What is the difference between an all-way stop sign and a four-way stop sign intersection?
My brother said he saw this. Aren't they both the same??...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, November 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links