Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Car light rules in California?
Find answers to your legal question.

Car light rules in California?

when can i use fog lights? Can i use them anytime at night? or in the day?? when can high beams? when can i use parking lights? when can i use low beam?
Additional Details
when do i need each light??

Superman
when can i use fog lights? Can i use them anytime at night? or in the day??
24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps. … http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24003.htm

when can i use parking lights?
24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24800.htm
25109. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with two white or amber running lamps mounted on the front, one at each side, which shall not be lighted during darkness except while the motor vehicle is parked. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25109.htm

when can high beams? when can i use low beam?
24409. Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated during darkness, the driver shall use a [high beam], subject to the following requirements and limitations:
(a) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use a [low beam]. …
(b) Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle within 300 feet to the rear, he shall use the [low beam]. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24409.htm

when do i need each light??
280. "Darkness" is any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise and any other time when visibility is not sufficient to render clearly discernible any person or vehicle on the highway at a distance of 1000 feet. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc280.htm

*/End of Line.

vicky
Rating
just use them when you need them silly

angiea276
Fog lights are for when it's foggy outside, or raining with low visibility. High beams are to be used when you have no cars in front of you, or no cars coming toward you in opposite lanes and it's too dark outside to have a clear view of the road and your surroundings. Parking lights are for when you are parked outside a designated parking area, for whatever reason, or for if you are temporarily parked along side a curb or something. It's so people can see your car in a dark area. Low beams are for daytime or regular night time conditions. Some rural areas also require you to use them. These areas will be designated by signs (i.e., "Turn headlights on for next 10 miles").

You should stop by DMV for a rules of the road handbook and freshen up your memory :)

there_she.goes
Rating
You use fog lights when it's foggy out and you need extra visibility. You can use high beams when you're driving with poor visibility and there are no oncoming cars headed towards you (it's blinding for the other drivers).

UCANTCME
You must use your headlights 30 minutes after sunset and leave them on until 30 minutes before sunrise.

You must dim your lights to low beams within 500 feet of a vehicle coming toward you or within 300 feet of a vehicle you are following.

You must turn on your headlights if snow, rain, fog, or low-visibility (1000 feet or less) require the use of windshield wipers.

Calif Vehicle Code, section 12, paragraph 24400 (d)

Buslady
low beam during normal night driving
high beams when light is low in the area.
do not use high beams in fog, you blind yourself
dont flash high beams at oncoming cars cos then yer being annoying and blinding the other driver
fog lights ONLY during fog, these are set to where you won't blind yourself

basebll824
Rating
Fog lights can be used at anytime. I run my fogs all the time.

High beams can only be used when you are not in a commercial area and there is not an oncoming car or a car in front of you within 200 feet.

Parking lights can be used at any time. However, they cannot be used as a substitute for headlights. (If headlights are legally required to be on, you cannot just run the parking lights)

Low beams can be used at any time. I always run my low beams with my fogs at all times. They are required at night, in low visibility situations, and when your windshield wipers are on in the rain.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Who's fault is it when someone hits a dog at a park? ?
The speed limit is 25. They left skid marks for about 8 feet trying to stop, so speed was a factor. However my dog should have been on a leash too. Who's fault is it? Just curious about this. S...

Where abouts is the rear anchor point for a child car seat in a 99 daewoo nubira?
I have just bought a daewoo nubira and i cant find the anchor point for my childs car seat
Additional Details
if there isnt a rear anchor point, where is it?...

Do low profile tires give a rougher ride ?
My new truck came with 20'' rims and low profile tires. The ride is OK, but would it be smoother with 18'' rims and regular tires ?...

What's the name of this road sign?
http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu
i'm totally blanking on its proper name and i need to know it for my project
Additional Details

What does this traffic sign mean?
http://www.trafficsignst...

Is there a homemade "recipe" for anti fogging mirrors, windshields etc.?

Is the driving age in Ontario changing from 16-18 ?
I have heard from a lot of people that the minimum driving age in Ontario is raising, is that true ??...

When a rear strut needs replacing what is worst thing that can happen if you keep driving?

Pls help, CAR ACCIDENT...A driver crashed into my car, I was not in the car but he stopped and gave me his?
details, I have a witness and I took pictures of damage of mine and his car. My car has been inspected and is a write off. 9 months on the claim is still ongoing, I am on thirdparty, fire and theft ...

Options for snow tires?
I drive an 04 Doge Neon with 175/70-14 size tires. Can anyone tell me if I can use a different size for snow tires? I have heard of "plus one" and "minus one". Can someone ...

Can you drive with your brights on when you are driving down a frontage road?

Additional Details
I know when to use my brights, I mean when I am driving. I am talking about when driving down a frontage road that runs parralel to an expressway. Can I drive with my ...

In the uk and ireland are ambulances all automatic or manual transmission or both?

Where can i buy stickers for cars that illegaly use disabled parking?

How to install Grill Guard?
How do i install a Grill Guard on a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 and do i need any special tools? Brackets?...

WHAT IS THE LAW IN OHIO ON ASSURED CLEARED DISTANCE?

How many people die because of airplanes and cars?

Anyone know of a website that offers written procedures for completing a driver log book? Need For DOT audit.?

What are some points why cell phones should NOT be banned while driving?
I am in debate class, and I was assigned to defend NOT banning cell phones while driving. What are some good points that will hold up in a debate?...

Is driving while talking on a wireless device safer than driving while talking on a hand-held cell phone?
In many places around the world, the use of hand-held cell phones while driving has been banned, but wireless devices such as bluetooth are a generally accepted safer form of cell phone communication,...

What are the statistics on when do car accidents happen more?
I was wondering about whether car accidents happen more during the week or on weekends? We're on the road right now (sat.11/1/08) and not even 15 min on the road and we already dealt with two ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links