Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Could you hit a pedestrian and not realize it?
Find answers to your legal question.

Could you hit a pedestrian and not realize it?

I always worry when I drive through packed school zones that what if I hit a pedestrian or student or little kid and didn't realize it. I drive a decent size truck (larger mid sized model), and obey the speed limit... but could you not feel a kid if you hit one in a school zone? Or for that matter, would you feel a pedestrian no matter where you hit them?

Thanks

StephenWeinstein
Rating
When in "packed school zones" drive much slower than than the speed limit. The speed limit is for normal situations; it is a maximum, not a minimum. When conditions necessitate, such as children or bad weather, you may need to drive slower.

Dan B
Rating
If you just ran over their toes, you might not know it unless you heard a lot of screaming. If you hit their body, I'm sure the noise of hitting the sheet metal would resonate throughout the truck. But I've never hit anyone to know for sure. I have hit small animals (rabbits, etc) and it makes quite a bit of noise even just running over the varmints with just the tires. At slow speeds, your vehicle will lurch a little bit as the tire rolls over the object.

People who claim that they didn't know they hit someone are in denial and are really saying that they though they may have hit a person, but were afraid to confirm their worst fear.

dansports67
Rating
It'd be like a speed bump that screams as you drive over it.

crystal
You would definitely feel it. You shouldnt worry so much. If your going the speed limit and your watching, you shood be fine. Maybe just look downwards in case a small child did walk into the middle of the road. But if you do all this, you should be perfectly find.

Dragonfrog
Rating
Sadly, it's happened. Be careful, drive slow in school areas.

Lindsay G
You would feel it. I ran over a racoon once with my back wheels and I felt it. I avoid him with my front wheels, but he ran under the car and my back wheels got him.

So again no, you would know if yout hit something.

xxliveurlife19xx
Yes, you would probably know you hit someone. Probably because people will be screaming their heads off. :O

leann s
Rating
Well considering you can feel when you hit the curb, I would hope that you would feel it if you hit someone. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you are doing the speed limit and paying attention.

Uncle L
Rating
ask the Buffalo Bills ~ Marshawn Lynch. he hit someone and had "no clue" and got away with it... Actually a snowplow driver up here hit someone and had "no clue"... i guess the secret is to not have a clue what they are talking about and you should get off scott free!!

MANERS
Rating
in theory, its possible.

*~*~*Rose*~*~* --'-@
Rating
Unless you're driving a hummer, you can feel something even as small as a pothole.

Jerry Springer told me soâ„¢
I dunno, some old lady hit a jogger and dragged her under the car.
She only noticed the lady when she parked in her driveway.

Citiscloset
Sir, this happens all the time on the news. Just practice extreme caution when driving in a school zone--or on any road for that matter.

Tazzy Rocker
Rating
No, If you hit someone, you will either see someone go flying, or you 're car will go over what seems like a bump.

golden rider
You might not feel it, but you are going to hear it for sure.

cq
if you are aware you would know!

friesrule09
Rating
YES: you could hit them so hard you would hear them or there body would brak one of your car windows LOL. NO: you could be driving at 3:00 at night going 120 miles per hour maybe even lower and be going so fast you dont realize :) !!!

Revin O
Rating
You'd def feel it.

KB
Rating
hence why we have windows to see out of..

davidbosco69
youd fel it

intel1397
Rating
If your driving a Hummer or Lincoln Town Car, Yeah

You could run them over and keep driving as bystanders watch you drive away in shock.

huskypimp
yeah i have heard many stories about this, but the drivers were old ladies. Then there was that one story where a handicapped person got dragged by a truck for several miles.

bendamanyo
Rating
It depends where you hit them. I don't think children would make more of a noise than an adult.

Eleana
Rating
yes you will feel it.

think about it.....any little rock that hits your car will be felt & heard unless your music is really out there. =D

ZenDog
Rating
nah man, could someone slap you in the face and you not know it?

Mike S
yeah if you were drunk or something other than that you should figure it out. well along with that you could be just an idiot if not drunk

Peter P
No, you probably wouldn't feel it.. someone I know drives a huge Suburban and he hit ANOTHER CAR and didn't feel it and he got charged for a hit and run..

Lakernation2009
Rating
yea i do it all the time.

☼summer 09☼
when your on crack.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can Police Give You A Ticket For Riding Your Bicycle Drunk?
CAN THE POLICE GIVE YOU A TICKET OR ARREST YOU FOR DRINKING AND DRIVING, OR BEING DRUNK DRIVING. NOT A CAR. A BICYCLE....

Why do those signs say, "In Case of Fire, Do Not Use Elevator"? How would you put a fire out with an elevator?

Car accident, who's fault is it?
me and a few friends are having a debate. If a person stops at a stop sign at a two ways stop and another driver coming from the left does not have to stop but has there turn signal on to turn but ...

Which is more dangerous a drunk driver or a cellphone driver?
I cant tell which I am better at but both at the same time, now that is a challenge....

What happnes if you weld with out a mask?
when you ...

If another driver cuts you off causing you to brake suddenly would you..?
flash your lights at them, beep the horn, give them the finger or what?...

What was the funniest or worst thing you did on your driving test ?
I failed the first 2 times Being a woman i am an amazing driver I only failed to stop at an unmarked junction as you do!
Additional Details
Dare i say it without being accosted by the ...

Ice on windscreen in the morning ?
I hate clearing ice of my car in the morning, sometimes I use hot water but know this can be dangerous ,I've heard you can buy some sort of spray foam which you spray on your windscreen the ...

Poll:- Do you Fasten your Seat belt?
T...

Do you think old people should be aloud to drive?
they dont drive very ...

Why should we have to pull to the side of the road and stop when a funeral procession is driving by?
That is so annoying, I don't have time to stop for some dead guy!
Additional Details
Since a few people asked this. It would not bother me if I was in a funeral procession and ...

Do you drive barefoot?If yes,are you a better driver in bare feet?

Is it illegal to drink and drive in all states?
Someone told me that it was legal to drink and drive in certain states and I don't believe them, please respond!...

Please someone,when it's windy and you're driving why do you have to slow down?
I was driving back across the M4 Second Severn Crossing Bridge early this morning,signs said slow down to 50 miles per hour.Is there an expert in vector analysis who could explain the theory(briefly)...

What's the worst driving fault you see in other drivers?
Cutting in at lights? Overtaking on the inside? Speeding? Driving too slow?

What do you do about it?...

Who are better drivers, women, or men?
right...
i had this debate with my husband... He is an excellent driver, but i think that so am I. As a woman, i can park in one go, (i find reverse parking easier than front parking) I can ...

Why don't people use their indicators at roundabouts?
Why do people fail to use their indicators at roundabouts. It is so frustrating sitting at a roundabout waiting for a gap, only to miss one because someone doesn't indicate as they are leaving.<...

PLEASE HELP!!!! whats the best way to handle a stickshift on hills?
I JUST GOT MY FIRST CAR, A MISTUBISHI LANCER '03. BUT ITS A STICK SHIFT, SO I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT. I GET NERVOUS EVERYTIME I CAR PULLS UP BEHIND ME ON A HILL...I DONT WANT TO ROLL BACK!...

Should we raise the speed limit to 100mph on motorways?
Assuming that we would also raise speeding fines and penaltys for anyone exceeding the new limit....

Why do people drive with their brights on during snow and rain during the day?
I can't figure this out. Yes, you should put on your headlights, but why do they use their brights? The lights are for the benefit of others, so you're easy to see from behind and in front.....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links