Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Do crosswalk buttons at traffic intersections really work?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do crosswalk buttons at traffic intersections really work?

Why is it there and why do people press it? The walk / don't walk sign will change with the traffic light. And it's not like pressing the button would speed up the traffic light. So why bother? Whoever sold the government this idea is one great salesman.

Say
Rating
They do work but they don't all work immediately. When you push the button you signal the light control box that you are a ped. ready to cross, but you are just one factor in the overall traffic grid.

The whole traffic grid is (supposedly) choreographed to move traffic smoothly and keep vehicle backups from occurring, so don't expect the whole system to cater to your needs. When the opportunity becomes available (say after a minimum of 40 seconds for traffic) , the light will change and let you cross. This is opposed to the light normally remaining red for 2 minutes, for example.

Sometimes it lets you cross a few seconds faster, but sometimes it lets you cross a lot sooner. New lights are programmed to only change when there is a vehicle waiting to enter at a red during off-peak times of the day. In other words, that light is programmed from 11 pm to 5 am to stay red until a car activates the light by stopping at the intersection.

If you're not in a car, that light would never change since you can't activate the road sensors, but pushing the button will let the system know you are there. In this case, when a car or you arrives at the intersection and alerts the system, the light will change immediately.

Of course, during off-peak times, there might not be any traffic to stop, but at least you'll get the light.

T
Rating
Old grump is exactly right.
When you press the button it signal the cross walk that someone is crossing. In busy intersections you don't need to press it, but in more quiet intersections, press the button because if you don't it may not change.
Did you ever notice when you're the only car at a red light and you take a look at the cross walk wondering when your light is going to change. The cross walk light starts to flash and then out of the sudden switches back to walk. Call me crazy but once you go out to press that cross walk button your light will eventually turn green.

CHICANO
Try it out it may surprise you one day.

Cyn
Rating
They do still work... In many towns, in especially busy intersections, the walk signal will come on after pushing the button... BUT all directions of traffic will be red "stopped".... so it's much safer to cross.
Don't you hate crossing a street, only to have cars turning right... or even left potentially hit you ... even though you have a "walk" signal? The button eliminates this problem.

oldgrump
The button does work. It signals the computer to cycle the crossing light at the next change of the signal. You only need to press it once. Pressing the button several times won't make it change any faster.

derekdemeter
There is one in Princeton, NJ that actually works.

oklatom
Rating
Find a quiet intersection without any pedestrian traffic and don't press the button. You will find you won't get a walk signal. Some of the ones in Las Vegas actually stop traffic in both directions and give pedestrians the chance to cross both ways and diagonally.

Also, The most popular hack, which works on most models, is the "Instant Walk." Three short clicks, followed by two long, one short, two long, and three short; turn any crosswalk signal from "don't walk" to "walk" with a matching change in the traffic signals.
(A long click is holding the button down almost 2 full seconds)

Note that the government doesn't want this information out there, because they don't want terrorists crossing streets at will. lol.

Vix
Rating
They still work here in Los Angeles

Tyler T
they dont work anymore. they used to, but its a pretty fd up idea so they canceled them and disabled them.

crose0130
yes they do. where i live if they didnt work then we'd be dead or waiting for a long time

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What make of car has the most accidents?

How much do airbags really matter?
I have a 1991 Corolla that doesn't have airbags... Should I be worried? I'm a good driver and shouldn't get in a crash but I mean how much of a difference do they really make. I ALWAYS ...

Abs system?
is it illegal to disconnect your abs system on your car and go to ...

I failed my permit test?
i Failed my first drivers permit test....is there any tips on helping me get it the next time?...

Women only, do you use your seatbelt in your car? how often? what color are they?
describe how you got friends or family to buckle ...

Do you think passenger planes should have ejection seats with parachutes?
I don't understand why regular planes don't have the ejecting seats like fighter jets. That would save alot of lives if the plane goes down. I don't get it.
Additional Details

What does it mean when an ambulance has its lights on but no Siren??
I was just wondering because I saw an ambulance assisting at a car accident and later on they left with the lights flashing but no siren....

Why are fire trucks red?

When's the last time you checked all the lights on your car? The running, the turn signals, the brake lights?
Every now and then.
Additional Details
Prosto Ta, I'll bet that was an expensive light bulb....

Have you ever jumped in front of a moving car and yelled at the driver to slow down?
As a private citizen, not as a police officer.

What was the result?
Additional Details
I was the one driving....

Can you survive a car crash if you hold on to the overhead hand grip really really tightly?

Car Seat rule what if your car is not big enough?
I have 3 kids 6yrs and under !! I cannot get 3 car seats in the back, do I get fined just because I cannot afford a new car at the mo ? can a third child sit in between the seats ?...

Can mobile phones set off Airbags?
I recently heard that Mobile Phones can set off an airbag in a car. Is that true?...

Whats the law on disabled parking spaces
my mums neighbour has a disabled badge but because of an op couldnt drive so the bay was unused (this bay was actually put there for my father who died 5yrs ago) she now has another car because of ...

Would Clarkson make a good, cheap speed hump for a suburban street?
Might be a tad uncomfortable for the fella; still, never mind!...

Why are my tires so loud when i drive straight and go quiet when I turn right?

Additional Details
95 licoln mark 8. tires appear to be in good shape....

Plzzzzzz do not open this of u dont have respect for...........?
i know... who am i to say u all this, but for god, i want everyone to plant a single tree today and now plzzz, if u do it u will be the one who will feel good that u did atleast something for this ...

How many of you actually believe left turns go first at a stoplight!?
I can't BELIEVE it, I almost got hit by some fool who did not have a green arrow and saw me getting ready to turn right, waiting for a lull in traffic. Another time I was driving straight threw. ...

Are the big Dump Trucks with sign on rear"not responsible for broken windshields" really responsible?

Do you ever flick off people as you drive?
If so, what's the point? Reckless speeders always flick me off when I drive AT the speed limit. I don't know why they feel so good after flicking someone off..what's the point? It'...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links