Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Do tire chains really help?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do tire chains really help?

I live in Florida and am driving to Tennessee (in the mountains) in January and I know I will run into ice. I was thinking about investing into some tire chains or anything else that you can put on the tire to increase traction. There will be some minor hills... Do tire chains really work? What are the best kinds to get, and will they really work on small hills and such?
Additional Details
What about the plastic PVC type "chains" or the rubber "chains" and additions? Do they do the same justice?

Wired for Sound
I'm not sure where some of the folks got their information, but to my knowledge, tire chains are legal in all states that they would be needed in. Granted, Florida, Hawaii, etc probably wouldn't see the humor of you driving down the road with them on the vehicle. :-}

Tire chains work best in snow.... if the snow has packed to ice, they also do a good job, but if you are talking freezing rain situations... the best thing you can do is park the car, get a room and let the weather warm up.

If you are going to be on the interstate highways, I highly doubt that you will need them unless you hit a freak storm that just dumps snow.

The best thing you can do is slow down. Like stated above, four-wheel drive will not help you on ice. It will only compound the problem...

If you decide to purchase a set of chains, I would suggest that you go with cable chains if you have a front wheel drive car. They provide the most amount of clearance between the tire and the fenderwell. If you have a rear-wheel drive car, you might consider regular tire chains, but do yourself a favor.... no matter what kind you get, practice putting them on the car in your driveway before you leave Florida. It's a lot easier to "get the hang" of putting them on or taking them off when it's 60 degrees and sunny rather than 25 degrees, snowing and dark. Carry extra clothing to wear and a good pair of gloves (or two pair, in case the first one gets soaked).

I have run a truck in the mountains of Colorado most of my career and now in the Pacific Northwest where the snow is really wet and deep when it comes down. Chaining is a fact of life when driving a truck, no matter what someone stated above. You either chain it up, or park it and most loads don't have the luxury of sitting until the snow melts.

Just remember one thing... getting to your destination late is better than not arriving at all. Don't push yourself or your car. There is nothing wrong with knowing your limitations.

Have a safe trip and I hope this has helped....

The Mr. Pine
They make a huge difference. I found a good source.

Marc
Rating
Chains are to be used when appropriate...in snow. I can't think of a state that has mountain snow areas that has made them illegal.

quik66gto
Yes tire chains work or you can opt for cable chains. Or get a set of Snow/Ice tires and your good to go. Try www.tirerack.com and look at winter tires.

Vince M
Rating
Not only do snow chains work, they may be required on certian roads at certain times. The local transportation departments or law enforcement agencies may set up check stations to make sure that your vehicle carries chains, in case of weather changes, or to check that chains are installed before allowing the vehicle to procede into icy road conditions.

If you are only anticipating a single trip where these conditions may be encountered, you might consider renting chains. In winter, many auto parts stores and sporting goods shops will rent them for your vehicle.

I found that they don't cost that much to purchase, and, ever since one strange trip from California to Reno, Nevada, when it snowed in June, I ALWAYS keep a set in the trunk of my car. It takes up little room, and it's less trouble to unpack and repack them each time I take a trip over the Sierra Nevada Mountains. (about four times a year.)

DoH
Rating
They work but it's a terrible ride, kind of like driving on those rumble strips all the time. If you don't have ones that fit your car perfectly they will ruin the tires and probably your wheel wells. They are impossible to get on sitting on the side of the highway in the freezing cold.

Your better off stopping and waiting for crews to salt/sand the road. If your going someplace where they are used to that kind of weather, then they will know how to take care of the roads. If you hit an ice storm in Florida, then your in trouble. In New England, they would have salt and sand on the roads hopefully before it starts. Point being you won't need them - I live in New England, own 4 cars - but not one set of tire chains. I drive 500 miles a week year round commuting to work.

Edit - 4 wheel drive won't help on ice. Been there done that.
4 wheel drive on snow is a different matter.

tou2yaj
Yeah, tires chain really do help with the traction, but is illegal to use in most states.... It basically, ruins the pavement on the streets....

jenny
Tire chains work, but are illegal in most states, like said above. They also are a hassle...too much so to bother using, unless you're driving a big 18-wheeler (and even some of those truckers don't use them)...try snow tires, or ask your friends that live in those local regions (if they do live around there) what they would suggest.

southside
Tire chains help, but like the other guy said you cant use them in most places. If you are really worried about it rent a SUV or a Subaru for your trip. If you cant do that, get some good snow tires and drive carefully.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the safest place to sit on a bus?
My public transportation says you are 36 times safer on a bus than a car. But should something for wrong, what would be the best place to sit if the bus were to get into an accident?...

I ran a red light tonight...?
Driving home tonight with my wife in the car I didn't know where I was going. I thought to turn right but as I started to turn right she said no not right and yelled out straight, without ...

The Garage says that it is not possible to fit Snow Chains to a Ford Focus?
Is this true as Traction tires are expensive !!!...

Hi I am from India. My question is "Is a black car unsafe to drive on highways when compared with other colors
Hi I am from India. My question is "Is a black car unsafe to drive on highways when compared with other colors"...

If you are involved in an accident, causing injury or death, you must report it in how long and to who?
To the DMV within 24 days
To the DMV within 24 hours
To the CHP within 24 days
To the CHP within 24 ...

While you are passing on a two-lane road, _________.?
identify an acceleration lane
pass on the right if the shoulder is clear
identify a safe space to return
accelerate above the speed ...

Why do the buttons on my steering wheel have brail on them?

I have a friend who has to attend a 3-day dui driving school. She wants to know what they do in the program.?

What are those buckets that go up in the air called on utility trucks called?
and why when they park in there parking lots, when the day is over do they put the buckets up in the air. My dad said it so homeless people dont sleep in them, but I dont believe him....

How old do you have to be to sit in the front of the car which has an air bag on the passenger side?
i was under the ipression you had to 14 in the front bur now im being told if you have the rite restraint then any age can sit in the front,also ive been told if you are pregnant you are not allowed ...

I put a stick in my dogs nose...?
but now she acts like she knows nothing over in the happyland but she acts like she cant see or smell or touch or breath...how do i get her to stop acting like an idiot?...

Whats the penalty for not producing an MOT certificate?
hi i was given a producer by the police a few days ago. I have insurance and a license but i dont have MOT on the car i was pulled in. Whats the penalty for it coz i cant produce the MOT test ...

I committed a hit and run and i don't have a driver's lisence now what?
I got really lazy and decided i'd get to school faster if i took my dad's car (he and my mom weren't home at the time) so i grabbed the keys and off i went. BAD IDEA! As i was making a ...

Patched tire safe?
I lost a lot of air in my front tire today on the freeway and fortunately a road side service man was able to refill it with air but suggested I get it looked at. I went to a tire place and they ...

Okay i saw roadkill on the road!?
WHAT SHOULD I DO?...

Is it ture that if you are sitting at a red light and you take your foot off the gas petel?
Is it true that in New York, if you are sitting at a red light and you take your fooot off the gas petel and creep just a little bit, and then put your foot back on the breaks, is it coincidered ...

How to get speedbumps installed on city and neighborhood roads?
I would like to get speedbumps installed on city and neighborhood roads in my area. I live in Georgia and would like to know how I would go about the speedbumps.

T...

Why are most car washes dimly lit?

What areyour biggest pet peaves while driving?
I hate when I am already going WAY over the speed limit and someone is tailgating me!
I also hate it when I get to the stop sign just moments before someone else and they wave at ME to go when ...

What's worse: a car accident or a gun accident?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links