Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Do you put your car in neutral when you're parked uphill?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do you put your car in neutral when you're parked uphill?

Additional Details
Source : http://www.k12.wa.us/TrafficSafety/pubdocs/BTW/BTW75-94.pdf

Is this for a manual transmission only?

JetDoc
Rating
Don't know where your test reference came from, but it was obviously written by someone who's never driven a car with a manual transmission.

When parallel parking uphill against a curb, I agree with the part about steering your wheels away from the curb, then allowing the car to roll backwards until the tires touch the curb, but you should NEVER park a manual transmission car in neutral. It's a good idea to use the parking brake too, but parking brakes are not always reliable. In older cars, the parking brake may be worn or prone to failure.

Always park your manual transmission car with the transmission in first or second gear, so if the car does try to roll, the resistance from the engine compression will stop it.

With an automatic transmission, always park the car with the transmission in PARK.

Ryan
NO!

nice_dog
No. It's dangerous

Hi y´all !
No, I don´t. I don´t trust the so-called parking brake.
Just make sure you are parked correctly, because when they tow your car with the gear in 1, they´ll break it.

gcaisle
Rating
NO!! MANUAL TRANSMISSION: YOU PUT YOUR CAR IN ANY GEAR AND IT ACTS LIKE THE PARK ON AN AUTO TRANS. ALWAYS PUT YOUR CAR IN GEAR OR IN PARK ON A HILL AND APPLY THE HANDBRAKE. THEN YOU HAVE A BACK UP IN CASE ONE OR OTHER SHOULD FAIL. You don't drive much do you?

tilleybryan
well,if you put it into neutral, then wouldnt you just roll down the hill?

willroch2003
Rating
Always leave car in gear when its on a hill, and a good idea is to also turn the wheels toward the curb so that if by chance it rolls back it will run into the curb and not the traffic. Hope this helps you. Um automatics should be in park Manuals in first or possibly reverse.

laughter_every_day
On a hill, put your automatic transmission in Park. Put your manual transmission in a forward gear. With both, also use the parking brake. If you leave the transmission in neutral, the only thing holding you still is the relatively weak parking brake.

uncleneal
Rating
If your car has a manual transmission, place in 1st if parked uphill, reverse if downhill.

With an automatic transmission, place in park.

Regardless, ALWAYS set the parking brake no matter which way you are facing or type of transmission. If you want added protection, turn the front wheels so they roll against the curb.

shi_89_golz
Rating
No i normaly put it in second gear and use handbreak

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What are some ways you will get caught speeding? (kinds of radar, cameras, etc.)?
What are some ways you will get caught speeding? (kinds of radar, cameras, etc.)
Additional Details
Ok some of you people are weird... lecturing me, who doesnt even have a permit, to ...

How many hours should you wait after drinking a beer to drive safely?

Are people in the USA turning against the American cars?
Three-quarters of all Americans think that the federal government should let General Motors or Chrysler go bankrupt rather than pumping more money into the struggling automakers, according to a new CN...

Why do people drive so fast on the interstate? It is not the Indy 500.?

How to persuade obstinate bus drivers that it's not a good idea for passengers to remain on a broken down bus?
I was recently on a bus that broke down and pulled into the hard shoulder. Car drivers/passengers are advised to get out of a car if it's stationary on a busy road, incase something should ...

What is the number of accsident for mobile phone while driving?

Has an unattended item of luggage at an airport or station ever actually been destroyed as threatened?

What is the earliest age that a child can legally sit in the front passenger's seat?

Additional Details
I live in arkansas and if it is by weight and hieght does anyone know what they are in Arkansas?...

When buses were nationalised they ran on time.?
Now private individuals have become millionaires on the back of subsidies given to bus firms and the service has deteriorated.Who agrees?...

When driving, is it safer to steer with one knee or both knees?
when your driving and your dialing the cell phone with your left hand, and you are holding a cup of coffee with your right hand, do you steer with one, or both knees?...

What are the dangers of riding on a donut spare tire?
I have a friend who has been riding on her donut spare tire for a month. I have tried to tell her that this is dangerous but I have no sure facts to back me up. Please help!...

Do speed cameras catch you both ways,speeding?

Do you think that elderly drivers should be retested at some point?
I mean no disrespect here.But every single day I see some elderly driver do something that is completely unsafe and very likely to cuase an accident under the right conditions.I.E This morning on the ...

Can you derail a train by putting a coin on the track??????? thanks.?

What are some reasons cell phones are dangerous in cars?
besides being distracted.....

Elderly Drivers..?
You hear about it in the news, always the same general story. Elderly man plows through school, killing one child, injuring others... on his way to a driving exam. Elderly man plows through farmers ...

Can people buy home testing kits to determine whether they are over the drink drive limit?
i often wonder how people who have been drinking know how much alcohol is still in their systems the next morning and think a test that you can buy over the counter would be a good idea....

What does an airbag feel like?
I know it hurts when it comes out, but is it rough feeling, soft and smooth, or kind of like a balloon? Is it fabric, rubber, or something else? I've always wanted to know. Thanks.
A...

Why is it not a legal requirement that truck-trailers have the height marked on them?
We have foreign drivers, who work in metric, picking up English trailers marked in feet and inches, or not at all, as the case may be.

Does it make you "think" that the safety ...

The local BMW garage uses a bit of inner city dual road as a test track, shall I call the police?
Basically, next to our building in Leeds there is a bit of dual that the BMW garage uses as an acceleration and show off test track for people test driving their tin cans. It's noisy and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, December 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links