Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Does anyone know the proper way to hold the steering wheel for a New York State road test?
Find answers to your legal question.

Does anyone know the proper way to hold the steering wheel for a New York State road test?

I have to take this test on Friday, I drive good but how should I hold my hands on the wheel, also when I turn left or right for the test should it be hand over hand or anyway

merigold00
Rating
9 & 3, or 3-5/7-9. Keep your thumbs out of the inside of the steering wheel, and keep both hands on the wheel at all times when driving.

The reason why is AIRBAGS.

As for turning, a lot of people like the hand over hand (I do) but some eaminers like the push/pull. Practice both and ask the examiner what he prefers.

buster
Hands 10 and 2, hand over hand or you will fail read your drivers hand book.

CuriousCat
Rating
both hans on the wheel at ten and two.

my aunt failed because she used just one hand

sorry I didn't know they changed it

P. M
Rating
Imagine the wheel is a clock face. Put your hands on the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

Hand over hand when turning.

Me again
Rating
Now days they say 9 and 3, because of airbags. If you put your hands at 10 and 2, when the airbag deploys because you rammed the car ahead of you because you were looking at your face in the rear view mirror it will throw your arms up and into your face. But you should be safe with 10 and 2. Hand over hand when turning. The testers want to see both hands on the wheel whenever possible, except when shifting if your test is in a manual transmission car. But listen. As soon as you pass your driving test and that anal-retentive tester isn't with you, there are a lot more options. My favorite is my right thumb and forefinger at 5 o'clock with my right hand resting on my thigh. Other times it's my right wrist at 12 o'clock with my left hand on the left door mirror. You're going to be driving a lot. Make yourself comfortable and relaxed. Always keep your left hand available for obscene gestures and honking your horn, as well as for rolling down the window to yell at people and rolling it up and locking the doors quick when they come after you.

hobbabob
10 o clock for left hand 2o clock for right . do not hook thumbs behind wheel [in a accedent air bags can break thumbs, newer less stupidly designed cars are starting to take this into consideration] . hand over hand is acceptable but shipping hands is faster if you are coordinated / practiced enough. always wear you seat belt and good luck.

steviesrscamaro
sure do it ;s a5 oclock postion

Danzarth
Rating
When I took the test (13 years ago, wow I'm getting old) it was 10-o'clock and 2-o'clock. However, if you are a good driver as you say, it shouldn't really matter that much. Just hold the wheel however it feels natural to you. The grader is looking for more important things anyway.

Maritza
it used to be 10 & 2 but now it is 11 & 3

wrenchbender19
around the nine and three position should be just fine if you use hand over hand i would slap you hand over hand is not a very safe driving habit to get into shuffle sterring is what is recommended but dont get to nervous and be comfortable when driving

St N
Rating
Hands at 10 and 2. If this is for a CDL then use hand over hand if you feel comfortable with it. For a car licence, I would suggest not crossing your arms over each other. Arrive early and try to corner an in-car instructor who has students taking the test. They will probably give you an answer for free.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How fast is too fast? When to back off?
The SCENARIO;

Interstate OR Trans Canada Highway
No traffic
No cops
Perfect weather
Straight road
Open speed limit
No passengers

At what speed ...

How does the number of passengers in your car increase your risk of getting into an accident?

Is it now time for the whole world to change over to driving on the left?
Science shows it would prevent millions of accidents.

When changing gear in a UK car with the steering wheel on the right, your left hand changes gear and your right hand stays on the ...

Is it true?
that you can't let your kids ride in the front seat of a vehicle in michigan?
Additional Details
well i know the laws here i live in missouri and my grandpa lives in michigan and ...

Why do people put stuffed animals on the front of their trucks?
I've seen so many trucks with stuff animals in the front and never understood why drivers did that. Just curious....

Why doesn't our public busses have seat belts?

Why does road accident happen even if we are driving correctly as per rules?

Failed 1st driving test, my examiners were really annoying!! Should I change driving instructor?
Ok, so there were these 2 examiners (we have 2 examiners in southern europe where I am from) sitting at the back seat and making me feel so insecure, I was already panicking by the time they told me ...

Pain in left wrist whilst riding a motorbike?
my husband has resently done his cbt and ended up with a lot of pain in his left wrist due to the clutch on it. is this normal? his hand actually locked up at one point. he wants to go for the ...

To use the brake during a sliding spin in wet conditions or not?
I was using a circular entrance ramp to I-75 last night.
It was damp out after/during a light drizzly rain. The back tires on our 2002 Chevy Trailblazer broke loose and slid around. We ended ...

When changing lanes, can i look over my left shoulder instead of my right?
i'm taking my driver's test today and when i back up or change lanes i'm used to looking behind me from the left side because i am short and the back seats are kind of high and i can�...

What is an uncontrolled intersection?

So - was the high-speed crash Richard Hammonds fault?

Additional Details
If yes, why?. If no, why not?...

At what age you think police should allow young people to drive?

Why cell phones aren't allowed to be used near gas stations ?

Should Horses be allowed on the roads?
Earlier on, my family and I was in the car travelling down a busy road of which has an awful round about at the end of it. As we were heading towards the round about we noticed two women ( lets say ...

Do cars explode when lit on fire?
Today I saw a car burning and had an arguement whether it will explode or not. Do cars explode when they are on fire and if so, how?...

Why are people so against the seat belt laws?
They say "It's my car and I should be able to do what I want inside". (Within reason of course)...

What is the purpose of traffic signals towards the end of slip roads on to motorways? What do they achieve?

What does a one way road sign mean?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links