Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Flow of traffic vs. speed limit?
Find answers to your legal question.

Flow of traffic vs. speed limit?

if the flow of traffic is above the speed limit arent you suppossed to follow the speed limit???
&& if you know a sight that states that pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeees i really want to prove my boyfriend wrong lol

Vince M
Rating
The LAW in EVERY state says the speed limit is, just that; the speed limit.

And, you CAN get pulled over and cited, even if you are moving at the same speed as everyone else. In fact, you don't even have to be the fastest car in the bunch to be singled out for a ticket. Many cops won't do this, unless the flow is moving dangerously fast. Then a cop will make his presence known and pull someone over for sure. But, the arguments that "everyone was over the limit," of "other cars were moving faster" will NOT get you out of a ticket, either by the officer or in court. If you WERE over the limit, you earned the ticket and no excuse is acceptable.

These are the facts and no one can tell you different. Most states have their vehicle codes posted online, so a quick search should locate the ones in your state.

IF all the traffic around you wants to go faster, YOUR responisbility is to pull into the slow lane and let everyone pass you. That, too, is the LAW.

Russ B
You always have to follow the speed limit. Just because the rest of traffic is going 70 in a 55 zone, doesn't mean a cop is not going to pull anybody over. And if you are the lucky one, the "Everybody was going 70 so i was going 70 too" excuse isn't going to fly.

Bub
Rating
You are correct. Flow of traffic never makes it okay for you to speed. The police may look the other way, but they never have to. To be legal, do not speed. Your BF is wrong on this one.

Cable T
I prefer to run with the flow of traffic but here's the trick. Run just a little bit slower and you won't be in the way as much and the cops won't pull you over for going over the speed limit if other traffic is moving faster than you are.

eric
Rating
I prefer to go with or close to the speed of traffic. It is usually safer that way then going the speed limit. If you prefer to go the speed limit, stay in the right lane and be prepared to see some middle figures, flashing headlights, and beeping horns at you. And on a side note, 10 miles over the speed limit is not likely to result in a ticket. Depending on the speed of traffic, if the traffic is flowing at 15 over, then any speeds around 20 over are the drivers cops target, basically anybody moving faster then the flow of traffic. And if you're not in the far right lane, if you're in the middle and especially far left lane going the speed limit, you might get a ticket for holding up traffic or failure to keep right, as the signs "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean, which as nothing to do with the speed limit. A lot of people misinterpret those signs thinking as long you're going the speed limit, you don't have to be in the right lane. That's wrong. The sign means if you're moving slower than other traffic (even if you're going the speed limit), you should stay in the right lane (unless passing), and allow faster traffic to pass.

kenbgray
Rating
If you try to do the speed limit when the flow is greater, you will cause an accident. It may be wrong, but you really don't have much of a choice.

IceHedge
I am pleasantly amazed of the maturity of everyone answering this question! I live in Knoxville, and I've only seen literally a HANDFUL of people who actually go the speed limit. However, there IS a reason for this:

If you go the speed limit on, say, the interstate, you're never going to witness another do-gooder/law abider because you're both going the same speed. So if you're going the speed limit and someone gets onto the highway you're on via an entrance ramp or whatever 5 miles ahead, you'll never run into them. However, you will witness a lot of morons along your journey who are either going well-below the speed limit or highly above it.

If you go above the speed limit/go with the flow of traffic, even if everyone else around you is going with the flow of traffic, then you are extremely likely to cause or be a part of a wreck. If you go the speed limit and find yourself nervous because people are switching lanes at the last second without using their blinker and etc., don't worry, you're the one going the constant, consistent speed, and not all speeders are complete idiots. They'll evaluate you and the cars around you, see you're going much slower but at a consistent rate, pass you uncomfortably fast, and move on. It's not right, but it's the safest thing you can do is to go the speed limit regardless of what everyone else is going.

Jane
I was taught in driver's ed (in 1978) that I should follow the flow of traffic even if it was above the speed limit but to follow the speed limit when the traffic was at a level where they could pass me safely although the article below says it is illegal to exceed the speed limit at any time:

http://www.pe.com/columns/on_the_road/stories/PE_News_Local_S_traffic11.4681b58.html

fight amongst yourselves as to which is correct

ja man
Rating
You should follow the speed limit but they won't pull you over if you are going with the flow of traffic

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How to put strobes in my truck?
I wanna put some saftey lights in my truck for when I plow and such. I'm gonna get a roof amber light, but i want some flashing LED's in my grill. since it's not a necessary, I don'...

How to Convert Drm brakes to Disc brakes?
Im doing minor projects to increase the safety of my. Its a 98 Saturn SL2 w/o ABS (project for another day). There was an option for the car when it came out for 4wheel disc brakes. I want upgrade ...

Would you take these roads right now? Trapped in WV with possible ice.?
Ok, so we need a ref. Please look at this map and tell me if you would take them right now. We were driving from NC to Madison, WI

Had to stop last night due to the ice storm through ...

Were to take forklift truck test?
I am 20 years old and am intrested in gettinf my fork lift licence. Does any one know any were in glasgow were you can do training and take the test. And how much would it cost all together roughly ...

This rear- end collision happened when I was coming out of a parallel street parking. Who's fault is it?
This rear- end collision happened when I was coming out of a parallel street parking. I checked to the left to see if any cars were coming in or going out of the street. None were, so I felt that it ...

What are the possible safety device that can be used in a car?
beside seat belts and airbags , especially for the rear ...

My driving lessons ? - Automatic or Manual driving lessons? ?
Hello ,

I am 17 male and want to do my driving lessons.

Being the lazy person I am I want to do an automatic. I will prob drive an automatic anyway. And then can go re-do my ...

What kind oif test r there besides road test for getting ur driver's license in texas?
my friend took a computer test and sais it was easy
what do u ...

Is it illegal to have different tyre sizes on a car?
My front tyres are 195/65/14,the rear 195/60/14?

T...

A Q about "mobility scooters" > any notions ?
Hi Folks,

There seems to be an increasing number of these fine devices driving around, and I am pretty much in favour, as I may need one myself one day

BUT

There is ...

Would a taxi in LA have an infant carrier (child safety seat) if you request one. ?
I will be traveling and am wondering what to do about transporting my infant son safely....

Based on self-discipline, careful planning, and applied effort, would you be a good driver?

What is the better test for ur driver's licnese?
what is the better test in texas for getting ur driver's license
my mom said she did the actual driving and she said its nervous but i shud be alrite..i mite only hav trouble with the ...

SH*T!!!! PPPPLLLLEEEAASEE HELPP!!!?
About how much would it cost to repair a 2003 4Runner? The left of the front end got in a BIG wreck and was almost as counted as totalled. But it still drives? It straight up looks like it got put in ...

How to control steerig while driving a car?
I ve been learning car driving for the last 15 days but I am not getting steering control. I am going in a zig zog path.Please tell me about steering control and also some driving tips like when to ...

Got my driving test next week any tips?

Is it hard to drive an r.v.???????10 points?
My friend said it was hard but I was just wondering. Does anyone have any experience or bad memories. T...

I Almost Got Hit By A Car?
I was riding my dirt bike and I turned around in the middle of the road because I thought their where no cars coming. Then some lady in a Nisan Altima came and Almost hit me if she didn't put on ...

Are fuel suppliers libel for auto accidents and is auto insurance an un necessary purchase?
Are the fuel suppliers libel in your state and mine? Auto insurance agents are being vague when asked this question,
If so, auto insurance sales amount to un lawful soliciting and an un ...

Car accident question and it left me with whiplash?
i posted a question before asking if i should go to the doctor because my neck, back and shoulders were in pain. well i went, and he confirmed that i had slightly bad whiplash. he prescribed me 2 ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links