Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How big does a crack in the front window of a car have to be to make it unsafe for you to drive?
Find answers to your legal question.

How big does a crack in the front window of a car have to be to make it unsafe for you to drive?

I have a crack in my car window.
Bottom left hand corner.
Less than a foot long.
Additional Details
Its a crack on the windshield less than a foot long. I wanted to know do all insurance companies cover this? and which ones do cover it? Could you take a Driving test with a car with a cracked windshield ?

DrB
Get it fixed ASAP. Most insurances cover this..

FRANKFUSS
The structural integrity of the window has been compromised, thus making it easier for a foreign object to penetrate it.

DavidC
Rating
Modern contruction makes a windscreen an integral support for a car, and cracks should not be tolerated particularly if the are near a support pillar.

At a foot long. the crack is too large to be safe.

There is also a probabilty that another comparitvely small knock could put the screen right out.

Most areas will not allow a drivers test to be taken in a car which is considered by the examiner to be unsafe

Justin H
It depends on whether the crack is considered to obstruct the drivers view. If an officer and/or the court were to rule that it obstructed the driver's view, then any crack could be considered unsafe and result in a fix-it ticket. But if it just runs low along the passenger side then it might not be a problem.

Your best bet is to get it fixed as soon as you can.

EDIT
With regard to the insurance, most companies will cover it as long as you have comprehensive coverage - the same coverage you would use if your car was stolen. However, it may often be the case that your deductible is higher than the cost of the windshield or close enough that filing an insurance claim will result in higher premiums with little gain. In other words, it might be better to pay for it yourself in the long run.

cayey911
Rating
they say any crack period is unsafe only because as soon as you drive it keeps cracking even if you don't hit any bumps. yes you can fill it but wont pass inspection...they always make you change it....best thing i can tell you is go change it..otherwise you might get tickets or fail inspection next time you go.

JetDoc
Rating
Depends on where you live. Different states have different standards, but generally, if the crack is longer than 6" (Longer than a dollar bill) then the windshield should be replaced.

If your current insurance company won't cover the repair, then you're out of luck. You'll have to pay for it yourself. Trying to buy new insurance to pay for damage that has already occurred is fraud, and is illegal.

dodge man
if its on the drivers side of it ,the law will say that it can obstruct your vision ,and they will give you a ticket for a violation of equipment law,and make you prove when you go to court that it has been repaired,i got a few of those in my life time,they usually will let the ticket go once they see it has been repaired,but they will give you a ticket for it,plus it wont pass inspection either,good luck with it.

his_lady_v
Rating
A crack that is about a foot long or longer is always dangerous as, at that point, a small rock or even a small collision could make it shatter. However, it has to be in the way of the driver's vision in order to be illegal.

loco_tech85
Rating
It depends on the State. In NY, if you have a crack in your windshield and it's within range of your windshield wipers, then your vehicle will fail it's annual inspection.

The other way to define it would be, if the crack is long enough or in the location where it would distort the driver's vision through the windshield.

PJo
If it blocks your field of vision. But cracks tend to spread quite quickly. Call an auto glass shop. I don't know where you're located...Diamond Glass is a good one if there's one in your area... they will come right to your house or place of work and replace your windshield. They do a professional job & will tell you what it'll cost on the phone when you call

Oh, and some states have laws that do not allow you to drive with a cracked windshield.

Pook
Rating
If it's your windshield that usually covered by insurance because it can be unsafe. Go get it fixed. You don't wanna be driving and have something happen.

Johnny B
As soon as it obstructs normal vision it has to be replaced.

UCANTCME
Rating
THE RULE STATES THAT IF IT INTERFERES WITH YOUR VISION THEN IT SHOULD REPLACED.

mksjmyd
Rating
Unless it blocks your line of vision or the wind is blowing back your hair from the gap, I wouldn't worry about it.

~Just forget to ask Lvlydaze~
Rating
I had one and I was told until you can actually "feel" the crack, it's nothing to worry about.
To play it safe, get it fixed..Wouldn't want you to worry.

Jay
You know I have to agree with you! I've got a crack in my @ss less than a foot long and nobody said I needed to fix it. It doesn't make it unsafe for me to sit down either!

The nerve of these cops nowadays.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Right of way - cars or pedestrians?
Sometimes there are crossing places that have lowered curbs and those bobbles for partially sighted people but there are no markings/ signings to suggest motorists have to stop at these. (No lights, ...

How do you go over speed bumps?
if you have a car that is low like a lambo or someother supercar or like a tuned car with a low bumper...how r you saposed to go over speed bumps?...

Why do cars drive with their headlights on in broad daylight?
This is a phenomenon I noticed when I was on holidays in USA and now it's happening in Australia. I can understand turning headlights on during a rain storm or overcast conditions, etc but why ...

Need some tips on driving a van in the snow/ice?
I'm driving a van, a 2002 Chevy Venture, in the snow and ice for the first time. I'm not a novice driver in the snow, but this van handles very differently than any other vehicle I've ...

Which uses more gas when driving a car at 40 mph--with windows open or closed with a/c on?
open no a/c or windows closed with a/c ...

What is it with men and road rage?
I have been dating this guy for about four months. He told me tonight that he got upset at a guy because it cut him in traffic and he gave him the finger. Is this something I should be concerned ...

Should I feel guilty?
A dove flew right into the front window to my car on the freeway while I was driving 65. I feel so horrible. It was trying to get its wing up to fly away and it just couldn't and it hit my ...

It has been made official recently that 'undertaking' another car on the motorway is an offence.?
Why does this not apply to motorcycles? I see it more from them than anybody.
Additional Details
I am not having a go at motorcyclists in any way. If nobody stops you doing something, ...

I was arrested last night for D.U.I...car crash?
I am so sad about my story. This has never happened to me before. I left my friends house(birthday party) They let me and didnt take my keys or offer me a ride home.
I drove on the highway ...

My dad really traumatized me this morning and I still feel bad sniff sniff?
I just got my learner's permit. I'm 18 and a woman now so I was able to sign for myself. My boyfriend hasn't reached adulthood yet he's 17 1/2 so his mom signed for him too. Y...

How do I keep cars from parking on my lawn?
My lawn extends out to the edge of our street. There is no real curb, so cars free free to park with their tires on the edge of my lawn...I was thinking about putting down some bricks or something to ...

When will they let us turn left at traffic lights regardless of what the traffic light says.?

Im scared of (driving) help!!! ( 10 points for grabs)?
so im 15 going on 16 of may 21st and i have my permit and am taking drivers ed starting June 9th anyways i am really scared of driving ever since my 2 family members got thrown out of the car in a ...

How can i tow my car out of the ditch?

How to stay awake while driving(IMPORTANT!!!)?
my mom has to take my dad to and from work
he works from 5pm to 3am
she doesnt get back til 5am and then she has to get up at 7am
to take the children to school
i cant drive cuz ...

Have you seen any stupid (road) signs?
ive seen deer in 300 yds ( how the heck to they know)
danger: falling rocks/trees (how the hell does that help, what are you supposed to do, put the roof up and drive faster and hope not to get ...

I have my permit. So any tips?
So while driving what is the most important tip to avoid collisions and just stay safe? :]...

How hard is it to learn to drive??
Okay so I know nothing…and I mean nothing, about driving a car. Im 19 an feel as though its about time I got stuck in and started lessons. Ive put it off for the past 2 years due to the fact Im ...

How do i get round the speeding fine?

If someone has there permit at age 18 can thay drive by there self?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links