Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How can I stop people from parking in front of my house?
Find answers to your legal question.

How can I stop people from parking in front of my house?

I live in a Cul De Sac with little or no parking. Short of putting up a baracade of laying down nails. Any suggestions. People have even parked in and or blocked my driveway.

john b
Rating
Turn the sprinklers on the cars. People hate that, especially if the water has a high iron content. Or...you can do the yard work and use the blower to blow cut grass/dust on them.

CLAUDE D
If its not illegal for them to park in front of your house, there really is nothing you can do.

chickey_soup
Rating
Unfortunately, unless they are parking on YOUR property there is nothing you can do. Streets and sidewalks are public property and anyone can park there.

However....you can appeal to your town or city to make it a no parking zone. If they are blocking your driveway, you can call the police.

If the people parking there are your neighbors or neighbors guests...well do you really want to pick a fight with people who know where you live? Be neighborly and ask them kindly to ensure their guests don't park in or blocking your driveway. They are entitled to park on the street.

blksvr
Rating
When they block your driveway you have the right to call the police and they will ticket them, sometimes even tow them.

alexandre
Rating
hey sweetie
have u tried talking nice to them
if u didnt
try it
if u did
and still they didnt listen
put a sign not to park
or not to tresspass
and if u did
call the police or the tow company
and i am sure they will find it amusing being
ticketed or towed
best of luck

michael_oxgood
Rating
you could try the old fashioned way... talk to your neighbors. i have an old vw beetle in which there is no reverse (tranny problem) and i simply asked them to please leave me a spot that doesn't require me to push my car. they laughed with me (not at me) and have complied for the most part. also, i can borrow a cup of milk from them if i ever need one, they pitch in on big projects, and from time to time, they even drop by for a beer, or offer me some food if they are grilling out. further, they tend to keep an eye out for my car and house when i am out of town. try it. it works!

Breanna C
You can't stop people from parking in front of your house if you don't specifically own that part of the street with your property. You can stop them from blocking your driveway or parking in it, though, by putting up a sign that warns them that they will be towed, and by calling the towing company should they park there.

Some other sheisty people have painted the curb in front of their houses red...I understand why they do it, but I suggest you don't get caught.

bikernoj
Rating
If your driveway is blocked, have them towed. Blocking a driveway is illegal.

Fred C
They can be ticketed for blocking a driveway, but the rest of the street is public parking if not marked as handicapped zone, or fire hydrant zone.

BallerinaGirl
Rating
Park there before they do. Or always park blocking your own driveway. You can also try putting up orange cones.

TOASTEE
Rating
talk to your neighbors- tell them there is not enough room for their friends to park around your house. I also like the idea of putting a sign up, maybe on your mailbox. You can always call the police if they park in your driveway or block your mailbox.

blahblahblah
if they are parking in front of your house, but not blocking your driveway, there is nothing you can do, since that is considered a public parking spot. if they do block or park in your driveway, then you can always call the police and have them issue a ticket or even have that vehicle towed at the owners expense. if all else fails, then probably sticking with what you were doing will do as well; putting nails in front of your driveway.

George P
Rating
Why don't you park where they are parking? This would eliminate all of this. I understand you should be able to park in your own driveway, but unless they are blocking you in, there isn't much you can do. If it is a problem, throw a party and have your friend park near their property. If they have a problem with it, then you can tell your neighbors that they do it to you all the time.

nicajm65
Rating
Call the police every chance you can. Other than that, nothing else you can do.

naj3032
Rating
laying down nails is the only way

Bee~Ben~4~evr
Rating
i would say that no matter what u do or say or put any sign up thay will do what they plez and that what were u thinking when u put this question up ?

don't hate snowflake
put up a tasteful sign

ccgriffin1972
Have some kids come over and spend the day, make a big mud pie in the front yard and tell them to paint the car.

mims03
put up a no tresspassing sign then call the tow company i'm sure they'll love the business.

meow
Rating
Can you paint thr curb red?

Sexah Mamma :)
I was about to say Put Down A Brigade of Nails!! HAHA they will get the message and who can prove it :) I was building a shelving unit honest...on top of that who wants to continuously change their tires?!! mhm...go for it

Steve
I've been facing this issue since new neighbors moved in two weeks ago. For two years I had the space free, and these new neighbors don't have space because so many of them live in that one house, so they park in front of my house. I think the best answer is to just allow them, if you can see why. My neighbors don't have room in their cramped parkway so one of them has to park somewhere. I've asked them to park on another section of the street, but I live in a neighborhood where parking can get tight, since the driveways are so narrow, and families live in one house. I know this will be hard initially, but just try to see life through their eyes, since my neighbors are immigrants, and be accepting. It's not worth to think about the rightness about this all day. Believe me, this parking in front of my house ownership is like seriously offing me over. I think just surrender and find some way to be understanding.

Notty
I have a Scout Leader who parks across my drive. I even called the Police and they say that they can issue a ticket if he does it again. The only thing is by the time they arrive he has cleared off. Typical!

Dave
Box them in with two cars, then make them come ask you to move. Note their license plate, in case they hit and run. Oh, and easiest, see if their registration expired. Easy removal

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why don't all school busses have seatbelts? Can't they see how it could save lives?
I get so mad when I see that kids have died when their bus flipped over that I want to see someone get sued for damages but who do you deal with? Who's fault is it? The school's?...

What fine will i get for speeding by 23 mile on a 70 mile per hour road?

Number one reason for drunk driving?
What is the number one reason people use for why they drove drunk....

Just what was the "Baby On Board" sign for? Did it help us decide which car not to hit in case of an accident?

Car stickers!!!!!!?
Don't know where I should have asked this, cars or parenting but hopefully I'll get less abuse here. Just want to know if anyone else hates the stupid stickers in cars which started off as ...

B4 i have a crash in my car pl help.i keep stalling wen stoppin its somethin im doing/or not doin with my feet
everytime i stop my car stalls i think its me doing someting wrong with the clutch and breaks.i feel like screaming all the time.i fear im going to have an accident!please tell me the right way to ...

Since it is slow inconsiderate drivers that hog the middle lane that cause other road users to get aggitated..
should they not be the ones that are targeted and enforced to drive properly?
Additional Details
as at the moment I think the general consensus is that nothing is done to stop their ...

Warning about Xmas drink-driving?
PLEASE DO NOT DO IT.
Not even a glass of wine.... if you know you're driving on the day.... Zero Option. The Police WILL be out there. If you are within a mile of relatives or friends... WAL...

If there was no one on the highway and you knew you would not get caught or crash, would you go 160MPH?

Why do people treat cyclists with no respect?
Today I cycled about one mile in Wembley just to get back to the station and while on the road a car driving in the other direction sounded its horn malicously for no reason at all (this has happened ...

If you saw people hurt in a car wreck would you stop or go on?

Driving What pi*ses you off?
Why do people drive on the outside lane of a duel carriegeway at 30 mph just because they want to turn right 3 miles down the road and why is it someone will pull out in front of you then travell at ...

What's that thing called in the parking structure where when you pay, it rises up and you're allowed to go???
I can't think of the name, but it's that long wooden thing that rises allowing you to proceed....

Should the elderly be forced to take drivers tests again after the age of 50?

Additional Details
Ok sorry about the 50 thing, Hope I'm not that crabby at 50....

I got a car accident here in china and i dont know how to deal this problem with the chinese driver pls help?

Where is the strangest place that you have ever slept?
mine was on the back of a Duccatti motorbike on the motorway coming home from StoneHenge :-) I know but it was good ...

Most annoying driving habits?
I REALLY hate people who:
Tail on motorways.
Use their mobile phones (espetially on a roundabout!!)
Those who don't indicate.

What annoys you?...

Why do so many people drive with fog lights on when it's not foggy?!?
It's not big, it's not clever so stop it....

Driving too fast?
this might be a stupid topic but nevertheless, i can't stop myself from driving fast. it's ok when i'm in residential areas with road humps but when i get on a straight road or a 40 ...

Do you think that with all the extra speed cameras, it has lowered the death rate on our roads?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, November 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links