Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How can you tell the difference of a cop car then a civilian car at night time?
Find answers to your legal question.

How can you tell the difference of a cop car then a civilian car at night time?

cop car dark lights difference

Fred C
There is no simple way. Some of them with the lights on the dash and the rear package shelf are obvious, but many ghost cars have the lights behind the grille, so it isn't obvious until they pull you over.

Pilgrim
Rating
Cop cars use standard headlights that look like everybody elses.

Learn to drive the speed of traffic at night.

Zach
Rating
Here in Michigan if the licence plate has a small X in it, that's almost 100% of the time a police officer. For example 83 x 129 or if it's a blue and yellow licence plate instead of the white and blue.

But also look for the A-pillar mounted light. Those don't come from the factory on every car, but with the number of police re-sold vehicles increasing, that's becoming harder.

alina
common sense

Just Me
Just assume all the cars at night are cop cars and don't do anything stupid.

In God We Trust
Usually the markings should signify that indeed a police car is on the scene. Whereas a civilian car does not manifest any markings. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? - Romans 8:31. The Lord daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah. - Psalm 68:19. Peace and God Bless.

logicalgal
Always drive as if there was a police car nearby.
Where I live, there are "covert" vehicles.........i.e. generic white pickup truck, mini van, S.U.V., etc. which patrol the highways. They look like any other passenger vehicle and the Police Departments interchange them from one jurisdiction to another so drivers don't become familiar with them. The only difference between these "covert" vehicles and your vehicle, is that they are equiipped with those "fancy" lights and are driven by your friendly Police Officer.
There isn't any way of distinguishing a police car at night unless you invent one. Then you could become an overnight millionaire!
THINK AND DRIVE!!!

dodge man
Rating
on some of the unmarked cars i cant tell the difference in them at all,when its night to me they all look the same,if you can your doing better than i can,good luck.

conicat
I've heard several people say they can tell by the tail lights. And if there's a moon or some light you can see a glint of something on the roof. Not foolproof methods by any means, but it changes the odds, I guess.

Grains_of_Wrath
Rating
I don't think cops use small cars, they're usually large (Holden Commedores or Ford Falcons where I'm from), or they're SUVs. The unmarked ones are usually a new model, within two years. That's about all the clues you'll have if it's night though.

Gary V
It's kind of a guy feeling and a bit of experience. As a truck driver I've learned to identify the types of cars that are usually going to be unmarked cars. Those I can spot.

Of those if I see extra antenna.... I'm gonna slow down. Sometiems I'm wrong but I'm usually not. Better safe that sorry.

Besides the extra antenna I look for objects mouned inside the car (lights) that's a dead giveaway as well.

I haven't been cought speeding in years, not because of those tricks, but because I don't go more than 5 m.p.h. over. Keep up with traffic and take fewer stops. A ticket is not worth it.

bungee
you can't

forgotten angel
unfortunatly there is no easy way, you could always look for the light bar on top or if its a ghost car you can always try looking inside and see if a cage is visible but not likely able to happen. normal cruisers are easy to see due to there color but unfortunatly ghost cars are mostly always blacking making a night time detection hard, ive tried and the only way i knew was due to the lights, sirens and loud speaker tellen me to pull over

Wiseone
Rating
The blue lights should be a dead giveaway.

LilB
Rating
the white hood on a black car

numbers and words written all over it

the lights

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why do people insist on walking on the right?
Why do people insist on walking on the right when it means they have their backs towards oncoming traffic, on most roads in the UK, when walking near to the kerb?...

What do you think about lowering speed limit?
Do you agree or disagree? Please give your reasons. I just want to collect people's opions to this issue....

Are some drivers really stupid?
Walking home from work today, I was crossing at some lights, when a car that had gone through them (onto a main road)inexplicably decided to reverse back onto the street I was crossing. I dodged out ...

How old do you have to be to ride in the front seat of the car?

How can drunk driving to be stopped?
i need help its this on i need more answers to this ...

Traffic light is red.. it is safe.. would you go or wait?
It is late night, quiet, and no cars... no people, an here is this red traffic light that you know stay forever... You can see well left and right. front and back, it is safe regarding accidents.. ...

Driving age limit going up?
Hey, I'm in the 1993 generation and was born in April, I was wondering if these rumours going around about by the time I'm 17 the age will have just about gone up to 18? Is that true? If so,...

Am I going to DIE if I use CELLPHONE while driving?
Since this is the matter of life or death, tell me... how could it kill me then?...

What do you think of the proposed new law on fine and points for handsfree mobile use in cars if not attentive

Driving lesson trouble?
i've been having driving lessons for about 10 weeks now and i have my good days and bad days. had one today, and it went terribly. i get on well with my instructor, i find it frustrating ...

Can you charge an undead-battery?
without F-ing it up!?...

Can I get cash from an insurance company rather than fixing the damage to my car?
My neighbor hit my car, but I need the cash more than I need the dent repaired. Is it acceptable for me to ask for the money instead of the repair? How do I go about this? T...

What age should u begin to learn how to drive?

The first time you ever drove a car how good were you at . . .?
regular parking, parelell parking andbacking up in to a space!!...

If I fill my tires with hydrogen, will my car float?
It's a 2001 Dodge Neon, if you need the specifications....

Whos fault is it when someone runs a red light at an intersection, causing a collision?
The traffic light has turned green for me and a car at the intersection runs through a red light going across my path. I break my car really fast and hard to prevent crashing in to it, but the car ...

How do you check for your 'blind spot' in a car?

Additional Details
So true David. I like the term 'life saver'. Most bikers use this (experience). I can see who are the drivers on here too, lol....

Car accident in school zone need help?
My niece and her friend 14 and 15 were taking the bus(front of school) when a car hit them pretty bad (the face is going to need surgery and she needs terapy so she can walk). the police report said ...

What age should you be able to cycle a bike on the road.?
Cars you have to be 17.
mopeds you have to be 16.

I think there should be a law for the min age someone can ride a bike on a public road. Maybe 14.

It it not safe for any ...

Why can't you turn off your fog-lights when it's not foggy ?
And why don't you know what to do at roundabouts - they not tricky? And, why do you think it's acceptable to drive under the national speed limit ? If anyone can answer these questions I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, April 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links