Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How do I keep cars from parking on my lawn?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do I keep cars from parking on my lawn?

My lawn extends out to the edge of our street. There is no real curb, so cars free free to park with their tires on the edge of my lawn...I was thinking about putting down some bricks or something to line the edge of the lawn...any suggestions?

brotherlove@sbcglobal.net
I would start with a polite request to not park on the lawn. In person if you are home or a written request on a paper left under the windshield. You could even write a nice note and make copies or print copies from your computer. If that does not have the desired result, edge the yard with something that blends with your home. It could be round wooden posts that stick up 6 inchs or so. It could be bricks half buried at a 45 degree angle so it creates a sort of sawtooth look. If that doesn't work try a short picket fence. After that if the problem continues it is time to call the police and/or have the vehicles towed.

Fred C
Your lawn may extend to the street, but the city owns the sidewalk area even if there is no sidewalk. You can't have cars towed because you don't own the street. You can't put spikes or nails, that is a trap. At the very least you will be sued for damage to a vehicle, and you could seriously injure somebody out for a walk or a child running along the side of the road. Have you considered making a kerb out of landscape ties or 4x6 lumber? As long as you don't pour concrete, and whatever you put is removable, it should be fine, especially if you get togerther with the neighbours and all do the same thing.

LT
While I wouldn't like cars driving /parking on the grass.. you do not own the part of the lawn beside the road. You can check with the city and see where your property line is to be sure. Or do as you are saying and put bricks, stone or something there to keep them off. As long as the city doesn't say anything you can keep the cars off. Good luck.

Mikey D
Rating
I've seen alot of people line their lawns with big rocks. it works, I NEVER see anybody parked on the lawn with rocks lining the edge, hahaha.

and the iron bars sound alittle mean, you just want to stop people form parking on your lawn, you dont want to trick them into ruing their tires.

Capricorn
Rating
The bricks would be a pretty good idea. Maybe you could put signs up at the edge of your lawn that say "Beware of Dog". Maybe then, they won't even park CLOSE to your yard!

volleyball55morrow
Rating
i bet if ya do what i did they'll stay clear of your yard.
go out there and dig a small trench lay 2by4's with nails drove through. put dirt back against, so they want see it.
stand by and laugh as tires go flat.

Joe M
I would put a brick through the windshield of the motherf**ker parking in my yard.

Either that, or take a couple of two-by-fours, put some 4" nails through them, and bury them so that the nails aren't visible, but the weight of a car will flatten the tires.

Actually, I would probably just go kick the azz of whoever is doing it.

Gina Day
Rating
I have seen a lot of people that put decorative posts up around their lawns. You can find pretty ones at Lowe's or Home Depot. Don't give them room to park on it. I don't think bricks would stop them because they could just park on top of them.

tricky
Rating
garden gnomes to protect garden or get some plastic post witha chain link between them.

Michael M
signs and then call the cops

bevaun
The rocks work my friend just paint them in white and put them down and they will do the talking. Plus they look nice.

So Gregory, I say 'rock' on to you.

toy2toy33
Greyory, check with county first? I had problem like that an put-up a fence. they made us move it, because they have a 25ft. right-away from center line of road.How ever,they let me put large Rock that can be moved.good luck.toy2

Chrys
Rating
yes..those castle wall blocks would work great, as would sharpened spikes. (to kill their tires...)use plants to keep them away...low ones, so people can see cars comming.

Icarus
Put down something that will damage the tires on the very edge of your lawn. For example, rod iron hammered in so that only a very little bit shows. Who ever tries to park there will hopefully see them and not park onto the grass. And if they do they'll have to buy new tires. I don't believe you would be responsible for the damages since they encrouched on your property.

xuserx2000
Rating
Bricks are tacky....and they make it hard to cut the grass.

Put up a sign that says tow-away zone....then call the closest tow company to you, and start having cars towed away. They may even provide a sign for you, as some of them do.

Just explain to them how much business they can look forward to, and they will be happy to help you out..

alexa
i have no sidewalk in front of my home i live in an inclosed community, so my yard is the parking spot for all neighber parties,and for walking there dog and come on up to the middle of my lawn and poop away, im about to grab someone by the neck~!!! any suggestions b 4 i do?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you drive a car or a phone booth? Should people be allowed to use cell phones while driving?

Would a drunk driver not automatically be at fault for a traffic accident?
Going down a San Diego Freeway, a dodge Durango in front of us, approx 3-4 car lenghts. Going about 65-70mph... When all of the sudden the driver of the Durango hits his breaks, then SLAMS on his ...

Are speed limits a restriction on personal freedom?
When I was a kid my father was a fast, safe driver. No accidents, no scares. It seems to me we are all different and individuals should not be restricted from being themselves as long as they are ...

Anyone 18 and still not have their license?
I am.. and i know there must be other people out there! I've had my permit for a while now just haven't gotten around to getting my ...

Should older drivers be allowed to drive?
If over 70, I say not! Many are unaware of their surroundings; cannot hear, cannot see that well.
I was standing in line at the DMV, when an elderly woman, who looked to be in her late 80’s or 9...

What are your views on the speed limits and the laws regarding speed limits and penalties 4 breaking them etc?

What is the safest way of transportation?

Why do drivers wait to turn on their car blinker after they are in the turning bay?
People, we know you are turning when you are already in the bay! How about giving us some heads up and turn your blinker on letting us know you are going to turn into the bay BEFORE you turn into it? ...

For those of you who drive an SUV because its safe....u give a crap about other drivers?
or is safety only an issue for you because you are soooooo godddam special...you are the reason driving cars is dangerous....

What is the most dangerous state to drive in?

How do blind people cross the road?
i know some pedestrian crossings have a bleeping noise to tell blind people to cross the road..but what about zebra crossings or those pelican crossings with out the bleeping signals?? how do they ...

What is your biggest pet peeve while driving?
Mine is people who drive in the fast lane VERY slow and don't move over

Also people talking on the phone and not paying attention to the road!...

Do you think "blue" headlights should be banned?
I drive at night A LOT and I am absolutely sick of closing one eye as I go by these bright white blue headlights just to be sure I'll have one eye to see with when I get past. ( I heard that ...

Minor Fender Bender. Exchanged info, no police report. They want $3000 or to sue.?
I have full insurance coverage. It was a rainy evening & I was stopped behind a car at a stop light. I thought she was turning, so slowly rolled forward but I bumped into her. We pulled over. ...

Will i get a ticket for driving at 75mph on duel carridgeway, police car driving on the otherside of the road?

Where do you stop at a stop sign?
Is it at the sidewalk/crosswalk and then the curb?...

Why do people hold hands when they cross the street?
wouldn't everyone die at once?...

Do evil sinners die in car accidents?
Do you believe that people who are killed in horrible car accidents more then likely deserved what happened to them?...

So my best friend recieved a ticket going 107 in a 45. What could happen to her?
This is her third ticket in a matter of a year. The first was for running a red light, but was taken off her record through defensive driving. The second was another speeding, going 80 something in a ...

Do you think seat belts save lives or take lives? Best answer gets 10 points.?
I have had 2 friends die, both wearing seat belts.... makes me feel like they take lives instead of save them, what is your opinion.
Additional Details
I have had two friends die in auto ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links