Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How do blind people cross the road?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do blind people cross the road?

i know some pedestrian crossings have a bleeping noise to tell blind people to cross the road..but what about zebra crossings or those pelican crossings with out the bleeping signals?? how do they know?? coz im sure they are not that great at hearing a car approaching at a certain time and speed

headsiwin
Rating

In the UK most crossings have, on the approach, raised dimpled paving, known as tactile paving, that they can feel underfoot so as to navigate to it.

Blind people generally have a raised awareness in other senses so they will generally have heightened sensitivity to sounds and touch.

Better hearing alerts them to road tyre noise, engine revs, brake squeal etc, enabling them to cross after hearing the cars stop.

Edit: During my time as an instructor I taught deaf to drive and they seem to have heightened visual and vibration awareness.

EDIT 2: Why a thumbs down for a correct answer?
Please read this

..." provisions generally include ramping down footway surfaces as necessary, and the provision of tactile paving surfaces to assist the visually impaired, in accordance with DTLR Guidance on the use of Tactile Paving Surfaces."

Also included is the full link below....

totan
the zebra croosing is actually brail for their feet , joking obviously

Duke75
Rating
Their dog tells them when it is safe to cross - the dog won't cross if their is traffic coming.

susie x ♥♥♥
Some obviously have guide dogs who are their eyes. There is a blind guy who lives near me who is known by all the locals, when he gets to a road he just waits until someone comes along and helps him across, It seems to work for him.

terrellfastball
They walk on their hands to be sure to attract the attention of drivers.

NO, just kidding. Hearing tells of most approaching traffic, some even have a dog to look for them.

JEEVES
Very carefully!

Who Else
Rating
Actually I do think they can hear a car approaching at a certain time. I have been told when one of your senses are not effective than the others increase.....

lewispaul9.dogs
Rating
They have a white stick and they tap it on the ground so that people know they are there

Al Mac Wheel
1. They cross with more carefulness than people who are not blind.

2. Some of them use guide dogs, who are trained to recognize both the human signals (like WALK sign) and whether the cars have stopped or are being dangerous.

3. Some of them walk with the blind person cane and trust motorists to obey the traffic laws regarding properly identified blind pedestrians always having right of way.

twinkle
Rating
On the crossings that don't beep but the green man lights up, there is a small button underneath that they feel. When it is safe to cross it turns around and they feel it twirling.

Capodastaro
Rating
well cars have to stop at zebra crossing so that helps

private
Rating
I guess we need a Nadia crossing too. %)

mz.h0llyw00d23
THEY HAVE THERE DOG AND WHEN THE DOG STARTS TO CROSS THEY CROSS WITH THERE DOG AND ALSO THEY HAVE THERE STICK THING TO SO THEY WALK INTO A CAR THATS PARKED AT A RED LIGHT OR SOMETHING.

graham_cougill
Rating
with extrem caution !!!!!!!!

UCANTCME
When you are blind your other senses will become stronger for example your hearing will be alot better that yours..........

TM
I am visually impaired and also hard-of-hearing, but I have a lot of both senses. STILL, there are times when I can't see the pedhead (walk/don't walk sign), and my orientation and mobility instructor taught me to use a parallel surge as an aid when to cross. That is, when the cars parallel are driving by, it is usually your turn. However, cars can still turn at the wrong turn -- that is why it is common for pedestrians to have the right-of-way regardless of the light changes, and why the white cane laws are strict.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Driving lessons not having a good time !?
I have an instuctor who shows me how to free wheel,raieses his voice when i stall and has said i will cause a accident if i dont go faster (im doing speed limit) this is an AA ...

Can you be prosecuted for reckless driving in a car park in the uk?

New smart cars? safe??

Does your state require State Inspection?
What state do you live in and do they require state inspection of your vehicle? If your state doesn't have it do you think they should and if your state does have it do you think they shouldn...

Are BMW drivers arrogant and agressive? Or is it just my perception?

Additional Details
And to all those who suugested it was because they are black, I was actually thinking about white drivers....

What speed do you drive on the freeway?
Is it 10 miles over the speed limit? The actual speed limit? Slower? Over 80 mph? Be honest!...

Do you drive barefoot and do you think it is safe?

Speed Camera Flashed Two Times?
Hello,
All,

I have been going home from work alone, When a speed camera facing towards me flashed two time, I was doing 40MPH but that road was 30MPH.

Can you please ...

Fear of Driving?
I know this sounds funny but it is so true. I don't necessarily think it is the fear of driving but maybe driving to places far (heavy traffic areas or places that I never been) becuase I can ...

Should the age of teens getting their license to drive be move up to 18?

I was in a car accident this afternoon: the other driver was at fault(driving down a 1way st the wrong way)?
The other driver left the scene but i filed a police report(I got his liscense plate #. Now my neck and back seriously hurt, and the front end of my car is all messed up. What should i do?
A...

The 'school run' and bad parking?
Is anyone else fed up with cars dropping off children at school causing blocked roads etc? This is particularly bad around the area of my doctors' surgery where parents park in the surgery car ...

PARKING TICKET!!! please help?
I just got a £60 parking ticket even though i had paid and got a valid ticket and the time wasn't up! i parked in a car park which was completely full so i found a parking spot next to another ...

Have you ever accidentally hit an animal while driving? What happened?
Dog? Cat? Deer? Other?...

How many times a year should you rotate the tires on your car?

Why do slow cars speed up when you overtake them?

What is the harm in inflating a tire higher then recommended?
I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, many sites recommend inflating the tires to the max inflation instead of the recommended inflation in order to get significant fuel savings. The recommended pressure is 3...

I have this weird neighbor who puts rags in his gas tank, (the cap is open and the rags hang out of it)??
He also puts plastic bags on his tailpipe, and rearview mirrors, he always has his hood open, and one time, my sister in law came over to visit and she said he was carrying a car battery in a blanket ...

What is more dangerous...?
driving over or under the speed limit?

I was stuck behind someone travelling well below the speed limit causing some drivers to take risks to overtake....

When traffic signals are not working?
a. traffic on the major road has the right-of-way
b. all trafic must stop, a four way stop
c. be causious; it is a yeild
d. all of the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links