Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How do determine the speed of a car without a speedometer?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do determine the speed of a car without a speedometer?

MK6
Rating
check the mile markers on a highway and for every 60 seconds one goes by, - you're going 60 mph.

Conductor Budgie
One way is to reference the tachometer (engine RPM gauge) to a previously determined point. NASCAR stock cars aren't equipped with speedometers, so during the pace laps of the race, the pace car travels at exactly the pit road speed limit (usually 35-55mph), and the cars see where the tach is at this speed (ex. 3500 rpm in 2nd gear).

Another way is to time yourself between mile markers. A speed chart follows:

Time per mile = MPH
36 sec = 100
38 sec = 95
40 sec = 90
42 sec = 85.7
45 sec = 80
48 sec = 75
51 sec = 70.5
55 sec = 65.5
1 min = 60
1 min 5 sec = 55.4
1 min 12 sec = 50
1 min 20 sec = 45
1 min 30 sec = 40
1 min 43 sec = 35
2 min = 30
2 min 25 sec = 25
3 min = 20
4 min = 15
6 min = 10
12 min = 5
15 min = 4
20 min = 3
30 min = 2
1 hour = 1

humanresourcesman
Rating
Watch the mile markers on the Interstate Highway. Time how long it takes you to go from one marker to the next (i.e. from 245 to 246 for example). If it takes you exactly one minute to go one marker (one mile) then you are going 60 miles per hour (because there are 60 minutes in an hour). If it takes 30 seconds then you are going 120 miles per hour. If it takes 2 minutes then you are going 30 miles per hour, and so forth.

Mark
If you drive fast enough, soon a friendly police officer will stop you and tell you how fast you were going.

Pork
Rating
High-speed camera

Frankie
drive it on a deserted airport landing strip and see how fast you can go..

Iam!!
Rating
When you pass the first mile sticker, or some other markers that you know are exactly one mile, you begin counting one-one thousand, two-one thousand. Keep counting until you come to the next marker. When you come to that marker, it will tell you how fast you are moving. If you count to seven- one thousand, you are doing 70 mph. This is how the Highway Patrol explains it, or other accident investigators determine rate of speed.

Ricvee
Rating
If your car has a rev-counter (measures the number of revolutions the engine does per minute) and you know from past experience (i.e....before the speedo failed !) at what speed the car engine is doing various revs,you can determine your speed. For example : I know that my car's engine does 2000RPM at 60Km/h in 4th gear, 2500RPM at 100Km/h in 5th gear and 3000RPM at 120Km/h in 5th gear...

joelgmt
Rating
just keep going faster and faster, eventually a police officer will let you know.

shadeofwild
Rating
speed gun or
Calculate by the dist / time taken

larryboy
Rating
obviously these answers are not good because there in no way for you to measure your velocity or momentum, you cant really buy a radar gun to use on yourself or even find a cheetah. the only sensible answer here is to watch the mile markers. but still that would be dificult. you cant go the speed of traffic all the time cuz they are often well above the limit. if your spedometer is broken then get a new one. your state probably doesnt allow cars without spedometers on its roads so that is reccommended highly uncase you get pulled over by a cop. then youd be in big trouble if you didnt have one. so get a new one if yours is broken, and/or have someone check your old one at a mechanic. they can tell you to what degree yours is off. good luck and please remember always give larry boy best answer points!!

randyrich
Past experience

hpc91
Step on the gas... when you see red and blue lights behind you, you know you're going too fast!

Nyx
Rating
I did this at high school:

Distance x time = speed

Thats just one of the stuff that I bothered to learn in science, did it for homework. (That is why I don't want to be a traffic warden)

FAA
Drive a known distance and time you trip.
Distance/time gives the speed.

Volleyball♥Country Music♥Amanda
Rating
Velocity times momentum equals excelleration.

(V*M=A)

Physics.

lparker_2005
radar gun or follow speed of traffic

Lionel M
use a stopwatch when you accelerate turn it on when you stop then stop the watch

MiaDiva28
Rating
i guess that comes from experience. if you've been driving for a while then you will know about how fast you are driving. if not then go with the speed of traffic. sometimes they have those scanner things on the side of the road that tell you how fast you are going.

Claude
Look at the whit lines on the road.. if thy pass you slowly, it means you are moving slowly but if they are moving so fast that they almost look like 1 solid line with no braks then you are probably going fast!! hahaha!!! just kidding!

I would honestly say calculate the distance travelled & the time in which you have travelled. that will give you the km/h or mph but that will only give you th average speed and thats after you have done the trip. Im sure there must be other ways that I cant think of at this moment cos Im acting like a daft cow due to the lack of sugar in my system.

airbull0424
Rating
A cheetah can run right around 60 miles an hour. So find one and right before you run him over, you are doing slighty more than 60 miles an hour.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why is it that some people dont use turn lights ??
Seens to me that some people think they're there so the car can look good....

Should 4x4 drivers be taxed more?
4x4's put more polution in the air so should the people driving them pay towards environmentle damage they cause? Also there a death trap to anyone they are in collision with as they are more ...

Another fatal crash in thick fog. Who or what was to blame?
One man died, and eighteen others received hospital treatment. About 50 people in all were involved in the crash, and they all blamed poor visibility. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I ...

Is it illegal to drive with one headlight on?

Additional Details
It was wrecked and i cannot replace it without getting body fixed.. which is alot more money. :((...

Can a cop clock 2 cars at the same time,for the same exact speed,while he is moving in the opposite direction?
I was behind another car on a bridge. A State Trooper passed us heading in the other direction .... on the bridge running parallel to ours. He got off of his bridge, sped down ours, passed me and ...

Can you smoke with an infant in a car?

Uhh. does anybody know what state new york is in?
uhh... help me?...

What do you carry in the car for bad weather?
With the weather taking a turn for the worse the news is advising drivers to take emergancy supplies in our cars.

What's in your car?...

At what point should an elderly person not drive?
and are the elderly even as bad of drivers as younger people?...

How can I stop people from parking in front of my house?
I live in a Cul De Sac with little or no parking. Short of putting up a baracade of laying down nails. Any suggestions. People have even parked in and or blocked my driveway....

Traffic tickets are not for safety but revenue, right?
If the safety nazis really wanted to stop speeding, tailgating, running red ligts, not stopping at stop signs, etc etc....wouldn't it be better to make the fine $1000 and not $100? Second ...

I am afraid of driving!!!!?
When a car seems to be near to the car that I'm driving I feel afraid , that's why I did not get the license until now....
What can I do???...

If you were riding on any public transportation, and you had a seat it was crowded, there was a woman?
or anyone who had trouble standing, would you give them your seat?...

If you got a drivers license and dont know how to drive a car is that good?

My wife and I are expecting triplets and need to know if three car seats fit into the back seat of a SUV truck

Turning right in USA when traffic lights on red (UK asking)?
My son as moved to the USA and was saying you can still turn right at a red traffic light, please explain. (i live in UK is dad)

If you are at a cross-roads wouldn't turning right be ...

Why don't people use their turn signals...do they think they own the roads?

Do you drive the speed limit?

I have been told that it is an offence to reverse a car out of a drive onto a main road is this true?

People say women are less likely to crash cars, SHOW ME THE PROOF!?
Please for UK drivers ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links