Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How far apart should two cars be when driving on the road?
Find answers to your legal question.

How far apart should two cars be when driving on the road?

pro619
Rating
I have a friend who is a police officer and was told that the rule is 1 car length for every 10 mph you are driving. So if you are doing 50 mph, you should be 5 car lengths behind the car in front of you.

todvango
Rating
The "distance" changes with the speed of the vehicles. Rather than trying to remember car lengths for a certain speed, try just going with the minimum of 2 second rule. (3 is safer, 2 is more realistic if you don't want everybody and their brother pulling in front of you.)

Pick a spot along the road, a guardrail post, a sign, a rock, doesn't matter, when the car in front of you passes it start counting.... one....one-thousand, two....one-thousand... if you have passed the same object before you finish the second one-thousand, you are traveling too close. It's that simple.

oklatom
Rating
3 seconds, at any speed. When the car in front passes something, start counting. If you can't count to 3 before you get there, you are too close.

rann_georgia
It doesn't matter. The moment you obtain a save driving distance in front of you, some idiot will cut in front of you and nearly cause all three of you to wreck. Never fails.

motochick
It depends on where you live..In so cal(where I live) a few inches is good enough,especially on the freeways..lol.A good driver will keep a cars lenght away from the car in front.

EJFX
The rule is 1 car length every 10mph

So if your going 50, your 5 car lengths back

Aspen Dreamer
Rating
I would say the cars need to be a safe distance apart so that in case of emergency, you can get out of your spot quickly...

The "rules" of distance never apply in real life, cause most folks pay no attention to the same rules you do...

Too many crowd in where they shouldn't be...

ecclectic1962
about a car length for every 10mph.

David
Rating
Drivers manual states for every 10mph= 1 cars length. It also says to double that when weather conditios are unfavorable.

chasingangelsaway
Each state will have a different method of determining distance. In Louisiana it's three seconds behind, but I always thought that was too close.
Personally, I choose "the farther the better" method. I always keep my distance, change lanes, or allow folks to pass. Especially on highways with speeds of over 60mph.
All it takes is one driver to spill his coffee on his lap, and slam his brakes to cause serious injury or death..

The safest way to drive is by simply assuming all other drivers on the road are drunk. It aint far from the truth in some places.

goodyspc@verizon.net
one car-length for every 10 mph

Bradley S
in divers ed they said 3 car lengths, but on the interstate that never happens.

nmcpsu215
Rating
Typically a good rule of thumb is two car lengths away from each other...in other words, you should be able to fit two normal sized cars between you and the car in front of you.

wolfpack1jmb
well cops and drivers ed will say 2 or 3 sec on road and on interstate 3 to 5 se behind,but alot of times is to far back.on regular speeds stay 1 to 2 sec behind or to get on nerves or know em tail gate them:), on interstate2 to 4 sec.but if they cant drive or are obviosly drunk or on drugs stay back

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I am 34 and cant drive?
I am 34 and never learned to drive. I have a fear of driving. I really want to learn. I live in a bigger city and it is hard to get around and I dont know many people here. I cant really afford to ...

Did you know that that Two Million Drivers can`t be bothered to clunk click?
On google news. What do you think of that then? Will these be the same ones who are allowed to use their mobiles whilst driving? Time to grumble. You are allowed. Your Granny says so....

Do you think more car accidents are caused by people NOT paying attention or by speeders?

Additional Details
So all of the people that say people NOT paying attention causes MORE accidents, so then would you rather people speed or NOT pay attention?...

What can I do about my first speeding ticket?
I was pulled over on Highway 12 about a moth or so ago. I am 16 years old and had only had my liscense for about 4-5 months at the time. I was recorded going 66 in a 55 while entering a construction ...

Do the different "M&M's"® colors taste different?
too me they dont... :...

Using turn signals no longer "cool"???
Has anyone noticed lately, that people on the road do not use blinkers? Does this annoy anyone else besides me? It's a common courtesy on the road, and yet it has gone by the wayside......

Whose at fault in this traffic incident?
If a car on the opposite side of the street is making a abrupt left handed turn, and you t-bone the car because you can't swirl out of the way. You are going at the speed limits, 40 mph. Whose ...

What is the best method to drive down a huge snowy hill?
Fresh snow..ice under it. What is the best way if any to approach this? We got dumped on last night and cars were turning around and going back home rather then taking on this hill....

Parking outside my house?
I live a cross from a school when school is open the teachers park on my front and i have to park in the next street is there anything i can do....

Is it illegal to collapse the seats in the back of a car and have a passenger in the remaining seat?
For example if you collapse one side allowing you place luggage there etc, and then having a passenger on the other side?

Someone mentioned to me that it maybe illegal and I just wanted to ...

What traffic violation do u consider the most dangerous?
2 me, runnung a red light is the worst and most dangerous violation....

What sign should i use when parallel parking ? hazards lights? or just direction light?
i just want to know that because im presenting my test soon and i dont know this one!...

What do you do when this happens?
You are driving down the interstate at 70mph, next thing you know, your wipers start going back and forth really fast, your car headlights start flashing, your horn is beeping constantly, your hood ...

Will a seat belt make a difference in a head on collision w/ a big rig, car going 80 mph, truck going 60 mph?

Your tyre bursts while you are driving. What should you do?

What is the appropriate age when it's considered safe for a child to sit in the front seat of a car?

Driving without a license (with a permit in ny) and "leaving the scene of an accident" advice?
I was dropping a friend off at class & when turning his car around in a parking lot I tapped a car, got out and assessed that there was no damage to the big metal bumper on the parked pick-up ...

Ok stupid ? Which is better stopping slow or fast I say slow even pressure my dad says quick is same?

Additional Details
ok sorry i ment which is better on the ...

How do i get over my fear of driving?
Im really scared of driving and next month i have to take my driving test!! How can i get over this fear?...

Riding in your car policy....should the driver be the one that picks the music? His car his music?
Or should I cater and listen to attrocious music that my friends seem to enjoy.......

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links