Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How many car lengths/feet do you stay away from the person in front of you?
Find answers to your legal question.

How many car lengths/feet do you stay away from the person in front of you?

I am taking my drivers test and I was just wondering...

Stargazer
Unless they've changed the rules again....the old way was the 2 second rule...but..it was changed to the 3 second rule. It's been that way for at least the last 20 years or so.

Tony C
Rating
What ever makes you comfortable,The minimum is 3 seconds.

deltafoxxray
Rating
2 seconds..... forget the car length stuff...

yorkie
Rating
depends on your speed

your highway code will give you up to date figures

Ed Atun
Rating
3 car lengths for every 10 miles of speed.

jtexas
general rule, I use 2 seconds

rmm
Check your states drivers manual - the correct answer might be found there.

UCANTCME
Rating
2 to 4 seconds behind.......

BioHazard
Rating
when driving, stay about 2 seconds behind. that'll be good enough to pass a driving test. when stopped, i don't know. half a car length should be more than enough

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

NFL Player stopped by cop; what is the law regarding emergencies and red lights?
Some of you may have heard or read about a recent incident where an NFL player was kept from seeing his dying mother-in-law by a police officer due to running a red light. This has me curious as to ...

How do you follow someone while driving?
How many cars should I stay behind when following ...

What are some things to remember when I take my driving exam??
I live in oklahoma and i really don't know how the instructor grades the driving test.I am suppost to go take it tomorrow,what are some things they will be looking for that i might not have ...

Why do women like showing their knarly looking feet on freeways and or highways and roads!?
(example they prop their feet on the dashboard), one time i was nearly shot at when this girl that was riding in my car propped her feet on my dashboard and some gang members drove by and thought ...

WHY do so many people drive with their fog lights on ALL THE TIME?
I don't get it. Are they just trying to be cool? Maybe they don't know how to turn them off?

And some people have driving lights on with their low beams. Driving lights are high ...

Why dont people use there light signal when turning?
I WORK IN HIGHWAY CONSTRUCTION AS A TRAFFIC CONTROLLER AND USEING A TURNING SIGNAL TELLS ME WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. ITS SAFE HAVEN OUT THERE WHEN OTHERS KNOW WHEN YOU WANT TO TURN LEFT OR RIGHT OR JUST ...

Will curb feelers on the front of the car help me drive even if I am legally blind?

If you drive through standing water, can you ruin your?
brakes on your car (at least temporarily)?...

Do you brake HARD for tailgaters?
I do! Have not been hit yet, but if they rear end me, that'll lean 'em.
Additional Details
The worst is when you are speeding and they still insists on riding your @ss....

The car accident was horrible?
my sister's fiance' just got in a car accident, the steering wheel cane off his jeep. his nose is broken in three places. any idea how to make feel better by fathers day?...

How many of you ladies can give me the steps to changing a tire?
Have you ever change one alone? Would you be afraid if you had a blow out on the highway? I would and I know that I would call for help. Now a days you can get hit by a car or someone can grab you ...

What is the penalty for not using child safety seat?
My neighbors have a 9 months old infant. They don't use a child safety seat when riding in the car. The baby is ALWAYS on the mother's lap and in the front seat. There isn't even a ...

Have you ever been in a car crash?
T...

Can i die from being hit by a car?
im a girl am 12 and weigh 83 pounds if i got hit by a car going at 30/40/50 miles an hour would i be more likely to ...

Are radial tyres available for two wheelers?

What is the REAL AGE to drive?? In California??
Whats the youngest age u can drive in California??...

Am I the only person who switches on the car headlights while driving on the road and it gets dark?
I've never seen someone else turn on theirs while actually on the road even if it gets dark. Its almost like there's a law that says only turn on your headlights when you're at the ...

Why do people drive drunk even though they know that there is serious consequences? ?
School Project:
Why do people drive drunk even though they know that there is serious consequences?...

I think to should be a law...?
I think it should be a law that
when you come to a traffic light
if it is red, but no other cars are around
instead of sitting there and waiting
for it to turn green, it should ...

Deer horns?
do those deer horns for cars really work?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links