Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How many feet before a intersection do you need to a put a blinker on?
Find answers to your legal question.

How many feet before a intersection do you need to a put a blinker on?

Aunt Sam
I'm not sure what state you live in, but in Ohio, it depends on your speed. If the speed is under 40 miles per hour, you must put the turn signal on at least 100 feet before you turn. If it is over 40 miles per hour, you must put the turn signal on at least 200 feet before you turn.

penguinblue
At least 100, probably not more than 300 or so.

jackwalz
Rating
in NY I think its 200

motorcitytech
we were taught 100-200 ft. depending on the speed of the road you are on. This was waaaay back in the early 80's when I took driver's ed.

Elrico Delamonzo
yes I agree with 100 feet

bostonianinmo
Rating
You should generally signal your intention about 2 - 3 seconds before getting to the intersection. Based on this rule, the actual distance would depend upon your speed.

One thing to watch out for is to not signal too early! Here in SW MO, people either don't signal at all or they signal about 3 blocks before they intend to turn. I was pulling out of my street a few days ago and a Caddy about 150 feet away turned on his right blinker. I assumed that he was turning into my street so I pulled out to turn left. That assumption nearly caused a serious wreak as he actually intended to turn right at the next block. What an IDIOT!

kearneyconsulting
Varies by state.

Pusspuss Geroux

Fire_Starter_1
Rating
We seldom use them here.

thecanes26
Rating
I just started driver's Ed yesterday, and they told us 100 feet.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can charges be pressed against you if you saran wrap someones car or write on it with removable marker?
i just want to know because i plan on doing it to someones car and i dont want to get into to much trouble for it.
Additional Details
by the way, im 14...

What does flashing your headlights at an intersection mean?
Does this mean that the person who flashes headlights wants you to get out of the way, or is he being courteous by letting you pass first? Does this have different meaning in different countries?...

Why does it seem like some people speed and tailgate more in the rain or snow than during normal weather?

Can you drive with tire chains the whole winter season with out removing?
Or can you only use tire chains in snow?...

Should the government force automakers to come up with some kind of system to keep cars cool in the summer?
so that if someone forgets their baby they don't die? Something like a solar powered AC that works with the car off and keeps the car at around 72 degrees would save so many babies!...

Do you think if everyone drove the speed limit (not higher or lower) would the roads be safer?
it seems like a lot of problems occur when people come down the on ramp unto the freeway going way slower than what the flow of traffic of the freeway already is. this causes people to have to slam ...

I have a slight phobia about driving, even though i have a driving licence, how do i get over this phobia?

What are some pros to teenage driving?

Additional Details
...aside from doing errands and bringing people places?...

Low profile tires in snow?
this mornig it was snowing and my car would not get up the hill! but my boyfriends car got up no probs! is it because i have lo profile tires and is there anything i can do apart from buying new ...

Is it legal to pull out of a driveway and onto the road in front of a bus in order to make a right turn?
i.e. if a bus is stationary on the road, stuck in traffic, can one pull out of the driveway horizontal to it and move out in front?...

Emergency! Drunk Driver? I dont know what to do?
I was trying to go to sleep right now and i heard noise outside so i looked out the window and i saw a car backing up and they just crashed into someone elses car that lives down the steet and the ...

Railroads are very close to my home two sets of them my daughter is 13 seems responsible?
although her horse is now being stored ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THOSE TRACKS SHE I LET HER COME N GO ................IF THIS WAS YOUR DAUGHTER WHAT WOULD U DO AND WE LIVE IN A SMALL SAFE TOWN BUT THOSE TR...

How do you define "speeding" on the public roads.?
I've driven for many years and remain frustrated at the bandied accounts of speeding.
The law dictates that we comply with the limits designated for the respective road we're on .......

Why do they spell "Ambulance" backwards on the front of ambulances?

Why do weels seam to turn in the opposite direction in movies?
weels of cars seam to turn in the wrong ...

Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?

Do you have to obey flashing light school zone speed limits if school is out for the summer?

Does any one else get nervous when they are being tailed on the road?
I notice that when drivers tail me while I am on the road because im not going fast enough for them, I get really tense and nervous. I end up not focusing on the road and staring into my rear view ...

Am i just a bad driving or over reacting ?
please help i passed my test in march but was on maternity leave till september so only started driving to work then , I work in a busy city and for first week was anxious but then was fine then 3 ...

Where's the public outrage ? Why are SUV's still legal at all?
Do anybody besides me read the article that said that SUV's kill 10,000 + Americans a year due to rollover accidents ,that those 10,000+ deaths represent 1/3 of all US traffic deaths despite ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links