Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How old do you have to be to ride in the front seat of the car?
Find answers to your legal question.

How old do you have to be to ride in the front seat of the car?

spicy_one20
12 yrs of age

I <3 Leone
It should say in the manual that comes with the vehicle. But with most you have to be 12 years old.

carseat xpert
Rating
Every state has different laws regarding child passenger safety. Some states govern age limits in certain seating positions, others don't. But the recommendation by all safety experts is that children 12 and under ride properly restrained in the rear seat. A child can ride in the front seat if there are no other seats left or there is no back seat as long as they are in a forward facing car seat, booster seat, or seat belt (depending on the child's age) if there is an active passenger side airbag that cannot be turned off. An infant riding in a rear facing car seat can NEVER ride in front of an airbag, so if they have to go in the front seat, there must be an on/off switch to deactivate the airbag. For forward facing kids, turning off the airbag is safer if you have that option, otherwise, the vehicle seat should be pushed all the way back out of the airbag deployment zone and you should make sure the child does not lean forward into it while riding.

D
It is size, not age.

Elaine
It varies by state. Here's what Tennessee has:
Car seats for anyone under 4 years old.
Any child under 1 year old (regardless of weight) and anyone weighing less than 20 lbs must be in a REAR FACING child restraint seat, in the rear seat IF AVAILABLE.

I don't think any state requires rear seat usage, since many vehicles don't have one, or don't have one available, but the car seat is mandated in most states (again, laws vary) and rear-facing is also required for certain ages and weights.

?

sassyprincess75392000
Rating
8 yrs old

stitchfan85
Rating
i believe you have to be at least 12 years old.

The Rocker
Rating
Well most car's say that you have to be 12. When I was 12 (just a few years ago), I wasn't allowed to ride in the front seat. But it all depends on the parent/sibling who drives the car.

AL
I believe the laws mostly say 12 but I think the biggest joke is some of the drivers I see can't even see over the steering wheel. lol

DesignR
uh so far everyone is wrong. Infant can ride in the front seat as long as you have the ability to turn off the air bag.

Brittney
age does not make a difference it depends on your size if you need to be in a childs seat or not

Johnny Speed
Rating
It varies from state to state, but it is highly dependent on the height of the child. Most states recommend that children under 13 ride in the back. To find out the rules in your state, you can look at www.safemotorist.com. Hope this helps!

ThisJustin
Rating
Its more of a height than an age requirement. Check with your DMV.

mommy2savannah51405
Rating
at least 10.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If I fill my tires with hydrogen, will my car float?
It's a 2001 Dodge Neon, if you need the specifications....

Whos fault is it when someone runs a red light at an intersection, causing a collision?
The traffic light has turned green for me and a car at the intersection runs through a red light going across my path. I break my car really fast and hard to prevent crashing in to it, but the car ...

How do you check for your 'blind spot' in a car?

Additional Details
So true David. I like the term 'life saver'. Most bikers use this (experience). I can see who are the drivers on here too, lol....

Car accident in school zone need help?
My niece and her friend 14 and 15 were taking the bus(front of school) when a car hit them pretty bad (the face is going to need surgery and she needs terapy so she can walk). the police report said ...

What age should you be able to cycle a bike on the road.?
Cars you have to be 17.
mopeds you have to be 16.

I think there should be a law for the min age someone can ride a bike on a public road. Maybe 14.

It it not safe for any ...

Why can't you turn off your fog-lights when it's not foggy ?
And why don't you know what to do at roundabouts - they not tricky? And, why do you think it's acceptable to drive under the national speed limit ? If anyone can answer these questions I ...

Can a child of 8 sit in the passenger seat if they have a car seat ?

Additional Details
Going on a long journey and would be nice to have her in the front with me, we live in the UK ....

Do you know any tips/tricks for parallel parking?

Is it actually illegal to leave a small child unattended in a locked car while you pop in a shop.?
I appreciate it is a very unwise thing to do and I would never do it myself for many reasons, however I am falling out with a friend who will leave a sleeping child in the car and either go to shops ...

Can anyboby tell me what is the fine for doing 90 mph in a 70 mph please?

Do speedometers show a faster speed than the car is traveling at?
my friend went through a speed camera over the speed limit by a few miles and when i pointed it out she said its ok her speedo does'nt show true speed is this true?
Additional Details<...

Have you ever crashed your mom or dads car?

What is the best 4x4?

N/S is left O/S is right hand side of car looking forward from drivers seat.Please settle this argument for me

Two black parallel cords across the road?
Recently two black parallel cords have been placed outside my local supermarket from one side to the road to the other about 50cm apart, I would assume that they would be police related but what do ...

Bus lanes May I enter them to overtake (actually undertake) when the vehicle in my lane is turning right?

Additional Details
UK we drive on the left but bus lanes are usually on the ...

Why don't cyclists stop at traffic lights?
Do you think they should?...

Do you think having an intensive driving course gives you the road experience you need?
I know there are places where you can learn in a week, but it doesn't give you general experience of all the situations you can come across surely? Did you learn this way?...

Your best safety tip for when driving a car?

Why do people tailgate during snowstorms?
My car does not have 4WD and is HORRIBLE in the snow. Just because others drive a 4WD vehicle doesn't give them a license to drive like maniacs during a snowstorm.

Is it unsafe to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links