Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How to tell if your car has been tampered with?
Find answers to your legal question.

How to tell if your car has been tampered with?

Ok I'm completely stupid when it comes to cars so I thought I would come to the internet for help :p Today my car crapped out on me and part of me is suspecting foul play while the other part of me thinks it just crapped out. I thought I'd explain what happened in detail and hope that a few people that are good with cars could tell me what they think.

First I'll give you a bit of background on the car. It's a 1996 Mazda B2300 truck. I got it from my step dad and mom as a going away to college present (used to be my step dad's). It had the check engine light on but my step dad told me it wasn't an issue and he's had that on for a year prior to when I got it last August. I have driven it fine and have experienced ZERO problems with it up until this day. I drove like 40 miles yesterday and over 100 on Thursday and experienced NO problems. I didn't start experiencing any issues until today after I had driven about 10-15 miles or so. Here's what happened.

I drove out to meet someone to sell a camera on Craigslist. Then I drove 5 more miles to a smokeshop to pick up some cigarettes. After that I drove and when I stopped at a traffic light I went to accelerate and the whole car started shaking and was probably only moving because I was somewhat downhill. I turned the car off and back on and drove it down to another traffic light and it did the same thing. I then got on the freeway and fortunately it worked up until the traffic light by my house when I had to make a complete stop. I tried turning it off and on again hoping it would fix it but it just shook the whole car up and then the engine just stopped trying and the car kind of went idle. The car was on as was the radio but the engine would just not turn on. I pushed it into the nearest gas station and tried starting it up and the engine didn't even turn on.

The reason I suspect foul play is because one of my roommates and I don't exactly get along well. She's obnoxious, rude, and inconsiderate and I don't like to surround myself with those kind of people so I don't like her much. I'm not exactly too vocal about it around her because I don't want to cause any drama. Recently she brought complete strangers she met on the beach to the house and part of me thinks that she mentioned how much of a "douche" her roommate was and one of these guys, trying to impress her, messed with my car.

My girlfriend who was also in the car and also doesn't get along with this particular roommate said that the roommate tampering with it was the first thing she thought of, just like me. Part of me knows that it's probably just me trying to find a reason for why it crapped out, but I can't help but wonder if she really DID mess with it. Like I said above, I have had the truck since August and it has had ZERO problems since then. I drove it out 100 miles on Thursday and 40 more yesterday and there were zero problems but then when I decide to only drive like 15 miles the truck craps out on me? Just seems a bit odd to me..

Sorry about the long question but I'm really hoping that someone that knows cars pretty well can help me out with this. Maybe tell me what the possible causes for this could be or maybe what I describe will tell someone that knows cars can tell that by the symptoms that it was tampered with. I really hope someone can help me out with this, thanks :)

Hayden
Rating
take it to the mechanics or the CHOP SHOP haha. It could be any number of things although the shaking does sound wierd.

al t
sounds like you are paranoid......to make yourself happy, GET RID OF THE ROOM MATE (even if you have to move out)......

Locksmith
never should have stopped for cigarettes-bad for everyone's health! don't believe me? just ask your dead pickup!

quepasameng
The car is 15 years old! What do you expect, its gonna break down, sometime...

tigersplay
People are more vengeful than honest yes its easy to get paranoid... However facing the facts that a lot of people never grew out of preschool on the inside is not paranoid. Show a back bone and most of these cowards will go back into the wood work after all the are scared of direct confrontation or they wouldn't do this. As far as your Truck only by knowing the problem can one ascertain the possible causes ... sounds to me like you may be correct

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Pedestrian Crossing Road?
If you are driving down the right side if the road, and a pedestrian is crossing the left side, but you can make it across before he or she reaches the yellow line in the middle of the road, should ...

How do I know if the paint on my car is lead based?
I was grinding away the rusted sections and the paint around them on my 1969 vw bus. I tried to hold my breath or breathe through my shirt when I was grinding. I wasn't wearing a mask so I still ...

I can't drive with one foot!?
I've been driving for about 6 months now & I learned driving with 2 feet. Nobody told me different. Now I'm taking drivers ed & my teacher told me i had to drive one footed bc it ...

How many questions are on the pennsylvania drivers written exam?

If I have a permit, can I drive out of state?
Well usually in the summer, we take a trip to Louisiana to visit family. I wanted to help my mom out with the driving while traveling. So for half the day my mom will drive (probably in the evening) ...

Do you walk in front or in the back of a car?
im talking about when somebody drops you off somewhere and their car is still on. Are you supposed to walk around the car in the front or the back of it?
Additional Details
Isn't ...

How far you stop a stop sign and street light?
I am taking my driving test and these are the two things i can't find or even know... So any help would be cool. (:
And if it helps I live in Hawaii, not sure if there is different laws in ...

Is standing the same as parking in a no parking zone?
3 times I've been chased out of " No Parking " zone while I'm in my vehicle with it running waiting on someone. If there were an emergency I could move immediately. I ...

How can I make sure my car is safe enough to drive long distance?
I am planning to drive a few hundred miles and I am not sure if my car is good enough to handle that. I recently done and smog test and it passed, does that mean it's safe enough? What can I do ...

51. When driving a vehicle with air bags, you are safest when seated:?
a.
At least 10 inches away from the steering wheel

b.
Within 6 1/2 inches of the steering wheel

c.
With your head positioned directly above the steering ...

Can I exchange tires that are P2457016 for P2256016?
I just bought a Jeep Cherokee with bigger tires on it that are going to need changed. I already own a Chrysler LHS that has the 225 16's. I was going to take the tires from my car and put them ...

Expensive Driver's Ed?
I am interested in taking driver's ed in New York State to get a senior license at age 17 (only if you take Driver's Ed, not a commercial driving school), but the only place near me (D...

If the roadway is wet and your car starts to skid, you should:?
a.
Slowly ease your foot off the gas pedal

b.
Slow down by shifting to a lower gear

c.
Slow down by pumping the brakes quickly and ...

Driving laws in other states?
my friend and i are wanting to take a roadtrip, and we'll pretty much be driving across the country. we're both under 18, and i was wondering if there were any laws in other states, like ...

Traffic Camera Question?
Tonight I went through a yellow light,
the light turned yellow right as I approached the crosswalk,
and it was still yellow as far as I could see as I made my way through the intersection.<...

If i buy helium balloons... and leave it in the trunk in my car for one day.. will they deflate?
so im trying to surprise my boyfriend and i want to buy 4 balloons and hide them in my car(the trunk).. but they'll have to stay in there for one day.. will they deflate faster that way if i ...

Is there anyway to lock up my RV?
So anyone can just hock up your RV to their car any drive away! :( scary! Huh? Is there anyway to lock up the front where you hicth the car to the RV? also do you know od any other security things ...

How to appeal a speeding ticket to get off record?
i was caught speeding going 45 in a 35 it was on a highway a little outside of town and i was with my grandma im 16 and we had just came for a financial aid class for college and she was kinda ...

Question suppose i took a taxi and we had an accident?
question suppose i took a taxi and we had an accident(like someone hit us)
now would the driver stop the meter? or would it continue to charge me?...

Can city cops read your speed ON the Toll Roads?
I live in McKinney, TX and take 121 Toll Road to work. I've only seen state cops on it and city cops stay on the service road... whats up with that?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links