Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

How wide is a semi tractor, not the trailer?
Find answers to your legal question.

How wide is a semi tractor, not the trailer?

Wired for Sound
Most tractors are 96" (8 feet) at the widest point of the body and axles.

You can find tractors that have been special ordered with 102" axles (8.5 feet). These built this way to give the truck a wider stance and more stability in corners. Most of them are pulling tank trailers.

Hope this helps answer your question.

EDIT:

Cable T... I mean you no disrespect, but California, and the Federal Highway Administration both state that any and all vehicles can be upto 102" wide. There are no statements regarding only trailers can be 102" and not tractors. I agree with your statement regarding cabover tractors being right at 96", but if you look at most conventionals with a sleeper, that sleeper will be right at the 96" mark as well. My original statement stated that the drive axles were 102, not the cab/sleeper.

The last link on the bottom is from a US manufacturer of 102" wide drive axle assemblies. If they are making them, the must be legal somewhere and they have found a market for them.

Thanks

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/trucksize/width.htm

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publications/size_regs_final_rpt/

http://transport.tuthill.com/support/eLibrary/PDF's/Products/Brochures/102_w_CC%20Tearsheet.pdf

Cable T
Rating
Widths vary from one manufacturer to another. A tractor can be up to 8 ft. wide not counting safety equipment....meaning mirrors. Usually a COE (cab over engine) will be close to the 8 feet width but a conventional (hood) will be somewhat narrower. I disagree with a previous answerer that some tractors are 8.5 feet wide. Federal law only allows trailers to be over the 8 ft width limit and then only up to 102 inches wide without a permit.

jim
About 8 feet

Rick S
depends on the make and modle

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the actual number of collisions that take place in every motor vehicle incident?

Is it safer to drive or to walk/bike/bus somewhere?
Why? If you can find any statistics please tell me.

and, are there any other reasons why people choose to walk/bike/bus other than for the environment and for their own health? (and ...

How long after you get a ticket from a camera ticket thing (red light) does it take to show up on the ?
la superior court website? in Southern , California; L.A. county?...

Can't we solve the blind spot problem by making mirrors curved?
i was driving today and thought we could eliminate blind spots and get a wider rear view if the mirrors on the cars where curved outward, that way we could see the blind spot on the left part of the ...

Improper turn from approved turning course?
Few days ago I was pulled over. I was give a ticket for "improper turn from approved turning course". When I looked it up on the net it looks that it carries a 3 point penalty. My question:<...

What causes a kill switch to activate on an automobile?
I have a 98 MB E-class, and lately the kill switch triggers immediately as soon as I turn the car off....what could be the issue...and when opening either the back or passenger door and then shutting ...

Under Texas law does a teen under the age of 18 have to a person over the age of 25 in the car?
My mom keeps telling me that even if you have your driver's license, if your under 18 years old you have to have some over the age of 25 in the car with you while your driving? I've looked ...

What should be the legal driving age?
I Have seen on a couple of sites that they plan on rising the driving age to 18. What do Adults and teenagers think of this? I am interested on what the response may be.
Additional Details<...

What is expected from California driving test?
I know the little things, making sure the mirrors are in right positions, seatbelt, hand signal, etc
What I need to know is if they require parallel parking. Because I need much practice for ...

In cold weather how long should you let your car warm up before you take off in it ?

DO I YOU HAVE TO STOP AT A CROSSWALK?
yes u do, just to warn everybody i just failed my road test before i got out of the parking lot. Even though my instructor was a walrus(appearance and physique), i accumulated 23 pts before i got ...

Why are Drager/Draeger Car Breathalyzer Faulty personally I go with Start Smart.?

Why are Drager/Draeger Car Breathalyzer faulty Smart Start interlock devices are better?

Anti theft devices can you take it off and car still run?
it is on a 2003 chevy malibu and wheres it located ...

I have a ford transit which is speed limited to 64 mph how do i get it removed or increased?

Why are the words on fire rescue and ambulances spelled backwards?

What happens if u get a ticket on a learners permit while driving alone?

Why do teenage girls feel the need to spray paint "SENIORS 09" on their windshields?
it's just telling the cops, hey, pull me over, i'm a young and inexperienced driver....

If YOU MUST be on the cell phone when driving....?
Here is what I don't understand, why MUST people have the phone IN THEIR HAND AND UP TO THEIR EAR when driving? Don't practically ALL cell phones have a "speaker" feature? I know ...

What is the likelihood of a pedestrian surviving when hit by a car?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links