Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

I have a cast on my right leg. Is it illegal for me to drive my automatic car with my left foot?
Find answers to your legal question.

I have a cast on my right leg. Is it illegal for me to drive my automatic car with my left foot?

I am recovering from ankle surgery and am not allowed to be out of this cast for about 3.5 more weeks. Is it illegal for me to drive in the state of Virginia only using my left foot?

Miss Steak
I think the short answer is that would be irresponsible, and not within the "reasonable and ordinary control" of the vehicle. I noticed some language of that nature in Section 46.2 - 315.

But, you can browse the stats of Virginia. A link follows. God bless, and hope your leg heals quickly.

Porterhouse
I would tend to doubt that it would be illegal, but I would caution that your coordination of your left foot and ankle will be different than that of your right leg. It would be pretty difficult and possibly dangerous.... that's about all I have on the subject, good luck.

Bark at the Moon
im not sure its illegal...but it sure is dangerous

kimberbee
Rating
i doubt its illegal, but it is VERY difficult and dangerous. it doesnt seem like it would be tough to drive with you left foot but it really is.

Monique
If you get into an accident then you'd have A LOT of explaining to do. Just think about what you would have to do in a spur of the moment situation while on the road driving. You wouldn't be able to manuever the way you would normally.

Atticus Finch
Rating
No, of course not. Remember, there are people who only have one leg to begin with, and they qualify for a license. The sole relevant question is whether or not you can do so safely. If you are able to operate your vehicle safely, the fact that you are driving with your left leg instead of your right is completely irrelevant. Should you be challenged on this score, the evidence would be whether or not you were stopped for unsafe driving, and if that was related to your leg, as opposed, for example, DUI or another problem.

jmilburn72501
-----I would not feel safe driving with my **right** leg in a cast; I would minimize the driving I did with that condition. My reaction time would be way slow. ---Jim

Fred C
Rating
I wouldn't even worry about the legality, although it should be illegal if it isn't. There is no way of driving an automatic safely with the left foot. It is one thing to use the left for the brake, it is another to try to move the left foot quickly and safely from the accelerator to the brake. You can't, sorry. For those that talk about the people who only have one foot, period, I add this. If you had lost your right leg, or the use of it permanently, your car would have to be modified to allow safe driving with the left, in other words, gas pedal on the left of the brake, or possibly hand controls.

Sparkles
Why not call your local police department or state patrol department and ask someone what the penalties are if you are in a car accident driving like this. You will not be able to react as fast if you need to stop and will greatly put yourself and others in danger driving like this. I wouldn't do it if it were me.

Irish
Well, it's illegal in Illinois so I am guessing it is in Virginia as well. Use this search engine: www.dogpile.com and enter Virginia driving rules. That should lead you to your answer.

Mare
Rating
Virginia does have weird laws, but in PA I dont believe its illegal, espcailly if you can do it.

know da stuff
Rating
No, it is not illegal, but it may not be safe depending what you have to do to drive using only your left foot. At least you still have a right foot, some of the soldiers coming back from Iraq do not!
The law does not discriminate against the "handicapped" or "physically challenged" but it does expect a motor vehicle to be used in a safe manor. If you can safely drive with your left foot only, good for you!

reinformer
Rating
There wouldn't be anything mentioned about driving with a cast and using the other foot. I f a cop want to consider giving you a ticket because he thinks your use of that foot is dangerous or reckless, he can do that. You will have to go to court and disproove his alegation. You can rest asured that the judge will accept his assertion over yours. and you'll have to have more than talk on your side. I use my right foot for both brake and fuel pedal. I can't see that using your left foot would be any different except for the awkward placement of the fuel pedal and a drivers unfamiliarity in using the left foot.

skcs11
No, as long as you can have FULL control of the car.

Somebody
Rating
Not if you can keep control of your vehicle...

Gallon
Yes. But who cares?

chow
Rating
I wouldn't just in case you get into an accident and try explaining that to your insurance company who will not cover you......

jojo
ummm yeah but who cares who's gonna know

TayTay
No, it is not illegal after your doctor releases you to drive.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Dont u hate it when?
cars going under 80 mph are in the fast ...

What do you think are the common causes of accidents?

How would you know if it is safe enough to drive to work tommorow morning?
....with the severe snow warnings forecast overnight (im from Birmingham, UK)....

Why do some people drive with their headlights on during the day?
Two days ago, on my way to work, I noticed that many cars passing me by had their lights blaring in the day's underglow of the sun. Although several cars didn't have their lights on, every ...

Undertaking on the road?
Although this may sound like a stupid question but is there any official mention of the word undertaking being associated with overtaking in the wrong lane. I haven't seen the term in the ...

Should drivers caught under the influence of drugs or alcohol get the death penalty?
They obviously don't care about anyone's life but their own, so why let them live?...

I am going on a long car journey. Does anyone have any driving tips for safe driving?

Does wearing a cap whilst driving a car cause you to slow down?
I have noticed that drivers who wear headgear seem to drive very slowly. Does one cause the other?...

How do i gain confidence driving on the road?
I passed my driving test over a month a go, and i only just brought a car on sunday (ford KA 1.3 engine)

the first day, my husband took me to quiet village, then really busy town centre to ...

What if your going down hill fast in a car and the brakes go out?
What if your driving fast in a car going down hill and the brakes in the car go out? How do you get out of it?...

What exactly does it mean at the gas station when they say "do not top off"?

Does anyone drive barefoot and is it safe?

Would you take the wrap for a friend for a hit and run if they were looking a 5 years in jail?
Me and my boyfriend were recently in a car accident and he was driving the car and hit and ran someone. My car was totaled and he's asking me to say I was driveing becasue he's on ...

How Hard Is It To Put The CellPhone Down And DRIVE?!?!?!?
Seriously HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT THE $#@% CELLPHONE DOWN AND ACTUALLY &%$@#! DRIVE for a change! Sometimes I just want to rip the phones out of peoples hands and smash the hell out of them becuase ...

What is your worst car accident and explain briefly?

Would you give your seat up to a pregnant woman while on a bus or train?
I'm just wondering if there is any common courtesy left these days.

This morning I got on the train and it was very crowded, there was no seats and there were many people standing. A...

Why is it that people in the south, think they know how to drive when there is snow and ice on the road?
They do not even know how to wipe the snow and ice off their window and cars? And yes, I am from the ...

What kind of cars are best for people who are first time drivers?

Speed limits?
Why is the speed limit in America lower than it is in England.
From a country that produces large V8 muscle cars has large roads and lots of space....

If speed kills whats more dangerous:?
driving at 100mph in a new car along the motorway after drinking a coffee
or
driving at 65 mph in a 15 year old car along the motorway after drinking a pint of ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links