Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

I lost my gas cap. Is it safe to drive without one until I can get another? If not, what will happen?
Find answers to your legal question.

I lost my gas cap. Is it safe to drive without one until I can get another? If not, what will happen?

Sprinter
Depending on the model of car you drive, it's probably safe to drive without it, but it will probably make your "Check Engine" light come on and may hurt your gas mileage. I would drive without it, but only to the nearest auto parts store to buy a new one.

Stu S
Rating
if your check engine light comes on then that might be the reason
my son wanted to pump the gas and did' nt put the cap on thight and the check engine light kept coming on

Rescue76
****Leaving the gas cap off while driving will effect your engine performance and gas mileage......while driving you car with the gas cap on presure builds up in the tank...leaving it open to air allows no pressure to build up..****

Krn
You'll lose a ton of gas, with the price you don't want to do that. Go to the dealer, or inside a gas station, somethimes they have them lying around where other people lose them
In the mean time stick a thick towel or rag in it.

Mz.Libra
Rating
no,because you lose more gas,and gas isnt low

Another Perspective
Rating
I doubt it will cause you any mechanical problem. Gas caps have 2 purposes to my knowledge. 1) keep the gas in and trash/water out. I don't think that's a problem, especially if you don't live in a place that is getting flooded right now, or a lot of wind. Also, the amount of spillage thorugh that wouldn't be enough to make much difference. 2) To keep people from taking your gas. The price of gas right now is causing a lot of people to steal it - either from a drive off or from people's tanks. I would get the new cap simply because it costs about the same price as a fill-up for me. Someone steals a full tank, I have to replace that and still have to but the cap.

dang
Rating
no its never safe to run w/o gas cap, why, gas fumes exit the tank, leaving u low on gas, plus its not good for the environment, though we see truckers leave alot of pollution behind. u can also risk if ur car is parked in a lot or something, someone can be smoking near the car and might cause a spark leading to a fire.

John
Rating
I would not drive with out a gas cap it could cause a fire..

NativeCock
Rating
Your ok for a little while.Just don't forget to get another one asap.

waterlady
Rating
Absolutely not! It is a hazard to you and others. Not only will water and dust be introduced into your gas tank causing the car to run badly and fuel systems to become clogged. But, if you, as one suggested, put a rag etc, in the opening you are sitting yourself up to become a large incendiary device. Yes you could explode. Buy a gas cap they are not that expensive....go to a junk yard if you want bare minimum pricing.

Ms Beautiful
I guess nothing...but gas evaporates in air so like wasting money on gas. Its hazardous

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Who is responsible for mot?
my brother in law had an accident in his works van and was asked to hand in the documents. his boss gave him the paperwork and then informed him the mot had ran out. although it is up to his boss to ...

Which is the better option for safety, drive around or run over a road kill?
My office is located on a private narrow road. Apparently, one of my associates accidentally hit a huge possum and it is in the middle of the lane. The Department of Transportation / Road Work ...

Anti-lock brakes. good or bad?
is it better to have abs or not?...

Driving Test Scam?
A man is convicted on 22 counts of obtaining and attempting to obtain driving licences for other people,he charged up to
£2000 to sit their tests,alowing unqualified drivers on the
road. O...

Ever see car passengers with their feet on the dashboard?
I always think to myself that if they got into an accident, they wouldn't be in the best position for safety. What do you think?...

U turn at 4 ways stop?
U turn at 4 ways stop is legal?...

Can bike lights be on the rider rather than the bike?
Rather than bothering mounting lights on my bike so they get stolen when I forget to remove them, is it legal for me to wear the lights while I ride the bike after dark?...

Why is it they dont want you to talk on your cell phone while pumping gas?
I dont understand it? Can someone fill me in...BEST ANSWER GETS 10 POINTS!
Additional Details
Oh so A spark from A cell phone can happen anywhere? Or just around gas?...

Should the government mandate seat belt use?
It sounds like a good law,but I still don't like the government telling me what to do either,so I'm on the fence on this particular issue ...

Do you think that Asians are good drivers?
In an average I have encontured 5 Asians today and they all are terrible turning, changing lanes, passing, allowing pedestrians the right of way and parking......

Should I worry about this red light camera that went off? It was yellow when I entered intersection.?
I noticed the flash of a red light camera as I was crossing an intersection. The light was definitely yellow when I entered the intersection but turned red when I was already 3/4 across. The light ...

Throwing a penny at a moving vehicle?
I threw a penny at my friends car while we were at a stop light. I was not driving. The cop pulled my friend over and gave us both tickets for throwing a substance at a vehicle. It was a MISDEMEANOR!...

What do drivers do that can put you into a road rage ?
for me its running the yellow as it is turning red and the duhs that use or dont use their directionals ...

Would you ever let your kids ride unrestrained if you were only going down the road or a short distance?
Would you? I've been in cars where parents have allowed there kids to ride unrestrained because they are only going to the shops or somewhere that's a short distance away, ie under 5 miles. ...

Is it possible to drive over ur own foot with a car?

How to correctly do a left turn on a 4 way intersection if you were taking the driving test ?
i know if its a green arrow you have the right of way but if a green light do you stay behind the crosswalk and when its safe proceed on your turn or can you drive up forward a bit then when safe ...

Is it true you waist more gas when you turn the car on then leaving it on?
If anyone knows the answer could u please tell me where u got the answer from.......

Can color blind people get a driver's license?
i mean since they can't tell a red or green light apart? and i'm not trying to be a smartass, i genuinely want to know.

thank ...

Is it possible for someone to cut one of your brake lines?
my car is leaking a clear oily like fluid by the front tire. I am still able to drive, what else could it be??...

What is the safest used car out there for a 16 year old to drive?
This is would be her 1st car, so I need it to be very safe~...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links