Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

If a school bus stops on a four lane with lights on, does the traffic coming in opposite direction have 2 stop
Find answers to your legal question.

If a school bus stops on a four lane with lights on, does the traffic coming in opposite direction have 2 stop

asccaracer
Rating
Every state is different. If you really want to know walk into a police station and ask or call your local DMV office. Most states say that all directions must stop, unless there is some sort of fence or wall between the on coming lanes. Even on divided highways with grass dividers all traffic is supposed to stop.

Kidan
Yes. Everybody stops. What if the kid getting off has to cross the street?

larmarine83
If it is an Un-divided road, ALL traffic must stop.

Rachel
Yes, unless there is a medium in between the 4 lanes.

Vegan
It can be different in each state, but in general if it is a divided highway then only cars on the same side would stop.

Otherwise everyone stops.

Angela L
Rating
YEP! I got a ticket for not stopping. "What if one of those children were crossing the street, and YOU didn't stop?" EVERYBODY has to stop. Both directions.

Fred C
Unless there is a physical median, whether it be concrete, grass, a ditch, or a wall, traffic going both ways has to stop until the signal are turned off.

redd headd
Not a divided road, ie median or curbing separating the lanes. If it is a 4 lane road with no thing but yellow lines you have to stop.

Lauren
Yes, if the stop sign is out, all of the traffic in a connected road has to stop.

Debbie
Rating
Not if it is a divided highway (meaning a medial strip separating the lanes). Otherwise, yes. And I'm pretty sure this is applicable in all states.

Mariah C
Yes,if the bus driver also has the stop sign out.

?
Rating
Yes,you must stop unless the road has a physical divider such as guardrail,fence,medial strip.or concrete divider.

y2bmj
Rating
There may be some variances state to state, but most states on a non divided road yes both directions have to stop, on a divided rural highway only the lanes in the same direction of travel must stop.

ledorkii
Rating
Yes.

cyndafukinrella
arent u supposed to stop for a school bus...no matter where it is?

towdenali
Rating
Absolutely, kids are often dropped off on opposite side of where they need to go and cross lanes of traffic, once lights are flashing red all lanes not blocked by barrier or guard rail must stop.

Bill S
Yes, unless the highway is divided by means of a median, or barriers.

forktonguebush
Yes! It's a stupid place to stop, I know, but yes you need to stop in case the kids cross the four lane road. If they really thought about safety they'd pull into a side street to let the kids off.

Fordman
Rating
If there is a median between lanes then the opposite lane doesn't have to stop.

tucsondude
What kind of 4 lane road? If there is a median in the middle, no. Four lanes with a fifth lane in the middle for turning, probably yes.

SITTINONTHEFENCE
This could vary by State but in Idaho and Washington the deciding factor is yellow lines? no opposing traffic does not have to stop.--most four lane roads do have yellow lines in the center!! tell someone else the word is median while your at it! Also common sense dictates the common sense is two words not one.

Terri R
Rating
Traffic laws vary from state to state.

Cass_17_7
Rating
I only stop when I see that stop sign thing stick out from the left side of the bus.

Richard C
No, the traffic in the opposite can proceed, but commonsense dictates with caution.

mister ss
Rating
not in Ohio.

phillipa_gordon
Actually, the answer depends on your State Law. I've lived in states where the answer is yes, but 2 others where the answer is no. Check with the Drivier's License book or online DMV site for your state.

just saying
but nobody ever said the number one thing kids are not to cross a four lane road but to be droped off on the side they need thats also a rule that schools have

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why do the police turn a blind eye to motorists who use mobile phones when driving?
From mums on the school run to juggernaut drivers, every day we all see dozens of motorists blatantly breaking the law driving one handed and holding a mobile phone to an ear. The police must see ...

Will they teach me how to fill my car with gas in Driving school?
because I have no clue, and if left alone I might cause an explosion XD...

Do you wear seatbelts?

Ive just started driving and Im finding it really difficult to drive at night due to other cars' lights...
Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do about it. My problem is that when people are driving towards me, even on dipped beams, I find the lights so bright that they seem to blind ...

How can i stop my ears from hurting on airoplanes?

How naughty is this ?
I was a passenger today in someones car we were in a 30 mph zone, she was driving 48 mph, I had to tell her to slow down,
It wasn't a friend, but someone I know professionally
On a ...

Why do badgers always get run over ?
Are they suicidal which makes them slowly walk right in front of cars and vehicles which are noisy enough to warn them of oncoming danger ?...

Pet Hates: Whats your?
Why do they insist on parking in a no stopping area in a supermarket car park when its empty.......

Do you wear your seat belt when you drive?
A. Always
B. sometimes
C. Never
explain why or why not.
P...

Do money make men more attractive?

Car flew past me today?
well it didn't exactly fly - pulled in front of me, I noticed sticker on the back "Please drive carefully - children on board". Now this mother was well over speed limit, driving with ...

Stopping for school bus?
When a school bus is stopped--red lights on--on a four-lane road (not divided), does opposing traffic have to stop? I see some people stop, and others just go.

I live in Ohio. I stop ...

Can somebody end this argument about speed limits?
It's about the national speed limit.

I say: It is 60mph and is separate from any other speed limit.

My mate says: It is 60mph for rural and 70mph on the motorway/dual ...

Why is it socially acceptable to break the speed limits on roads? It is a crime, after all!?
How often do you hear somebody complaining about getting "done" for speeding? Why are they complaining? They broke the law, got caught and got punished, same as any other criminal.
<...

Why do people put those 'Baby on Board' stickers in cars?
Its not like I'm going to deliberatly drive into the back of a car anyway and why should the thought of a baby in a car make anyone reckless slow down . I cannot stand those 'Cheeky Monkey ...

What good is the sign in a car that says "Baby on Board" What are we, other drivers supposed to do about that.

If you hit a car and cause damage but the car was not parked properly in it's place is it my fault?
hit my roomates car this morning, she failed to park car out of my way and left me with no room to exit ...

Has anyone gotten hit in the head by a bird while driving with the window down?
Because this happend to me a few days ago. It then landed in the back of my car. Talk about freaking me out! If this happens often, I am seriously thinking about keeping my window up whenever I am ...

If a car had been stolen, re-sprayed and given new number plates, would the police be able to identify it?
please explain your answer =] and would there be a way to track it down in the first place?...

To people in the UK- Do you think it would be hard for you to drive a car with the drivers side on the left?
I am am American & i will be traveling to England & staying for quite some time. My only worry at this point is the driving. I dont know that i will be able to drive in a car with the drivers ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links