Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

If car fail inspection do you still have to pay?
Find answers to your legal question.

If car fail inspection do you still have to pay?

Mr Rational
Rating
You would have to pay. They don't work for free, and inspecting a car qualifies as work.

Damon M
Pass or fail, you have to pay.

C J
Yes

Ryan R
Rating
Yes, of course.

Now here's a way to avoid paying for a failed "inspection." If you are aware of a problem that might cause your vehicle to fail an inspection, go to a reputable garage and ask for an estimate on fixing that problem and an estimate on any other work that your vehicle might need to pass inspection. Because the estimation is not an actual inspection, you won't have to pay.

Of course, if it turns out that there is nothing wrong with your vehicle that would cause it to fail an inspection, you still have to pay for an actual inspection, which, depending on which state you live in, could be quite involved, more so than a cursory look. You can't just say, "Great. Slap a sticker on."

If your vehicle fails an inspection, some states, such as Maine, require the inspector to provide you with a list of defects. If you opt to have that mechanic fix the defects rather quickly, he most likely will not charge you for the second inspection.

Mark G
Yes, it usually says right at the inspection station the price pass or fail.

Classy Granny
Yes, Most have a sign posted or it's on the work odrer
"Pass or Fail" and what the price is. When I as driving an older car and never knew if they'd fiind something I always took it early enough that I would have time to come up with the cash if it needed work.

StephenWeinstein
Rating
Yes. However, you may or may not be entitled to a free re-inspection, after you get the car fixed.

kapn
Yep..pay it

longislandeddie
Rating
I couldn't tell you about the specific state regulation because I don't know where you are but here in NY, pass or fail, you pay. If you fail. it also will cost an additional $10.00 for a reinspection bringing a failed inspection up to $47.00 without a tip for the mechanic!
This is only fair insofar as the mechanic is in business for profit and whether passing or failing , the mechanic must be paid for his work. The motor vehicle department gets a percentage of the inspection fee to offset administrative costs.
Believe me, NO ONE works for free!

UCANTCME
Rating
Yes you do because first in many if not all states it is the law and second that technician spent time doing his or her job and must be paid as well.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If there is a push to ban cell phone use while driving...?
Where is the push to ban other communication devices from cars and trucks as well?

Isn't using the phone feature that On-star the same thing?

What about dispatch radios, C...

Idiot Driver Stories?
Got a few minutes? Rant and rave about the worst/best drivers, and tell me a bit about yer own driving habits...Don't be shy! I am seeking the truth as to why I seem to be the only competent ...

Hearing for not stopping completely at stop sign?
I got a ticket , that is $120 plus 2 points. I have a clean record so don't want to mess it up, so I decided to go fight it. I have hearing in a couple of days, though am not sure if i should ...

I jumped my truck is that cool?

What is more dangerous?
driving a car with a crazy nutt case inside or driving a motorcycle whose brakes dont ...

Why is it unlawful to ride 4-wheelers in the street???

Does anyone else hate driving when it's icy?
Today we had an icestorm and i've never been so scared to drive in my life. A line of us were going 35-40 mph on the highway. Any hints on how to stay safe?...

Do all American cars cry and moan every time you try to get out of them?
while leaving the headlights on? I do hate this Ford Fiesta. Why do we need this very impersonal and piercing sound? It's like I am being punished for not turning the lights off! I end up ...

Cut up by car pulling in front of me trying to make a turn onto slip road?
travelling down A34 in hants going passed the slip road for the A303 a car pulls in (10ft ) front of me and then comes to a virtual halt and tries to make then turning onto the slip road at the end ...

Can regular rock salt (for water softeners) be used to salt an icy driveway?
Will it work as well as the salt that is marketed for use on driveways? Is there really much difference between the two kinds (other than the price)?...

At what age did u start driving?
I need tips no how to drive a car for someone my age who is 15...

1st time driver!?
i'm close to the age where you can learn to drive and was wondering, any help at all would be gr8...

What is the best thing you could possibly do when you lose break control while driving a certain vehichle?

When there is very little traffic on the road?
and someone is parked your side of the road, no matter how much you try to avoid doing so, bu adjusting your speed, you will always pass that car when the oncoming vehicle also passes it. Why does ...

What is the best automobile made and why ?

It Happened AGAIN...!?
So, not more than 20 minutes ago, I was driving my husband home from the hospital, where he gets his daily radiation treatments for his cancer.

I'm driving the speed limit, but taking ...

What is the cheepest way to keep your car safe from thiefts? besides the club?

What's a good car for a sixteen year old girl?
It has to be safe obviously. Probably some sort of sedan. No SUVs! I hate them. Nothing crazy expensive. We will buy it used anyway.
Additional Details
I just asked for a car not advice. ...

Is it legal to drive vehicles with no neck or head restraints?
i am a driver in the armed forces and frequently drive the old bedford 4 ton trucks over long distances, i get a severe pain in my neck whilst and for a period of time after driving due to no head ...

Why will people wait 15 minutes for that particular parking space, just to avoid walking an extra 15 feet?
Do they have problems weighing cost versus benefit?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, April 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links