Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

If you are involved in an accident, causing injury or death, you must report it in how long and to who?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you are involved in an accident, causing injury or death, you must report it in how long and to who?

To the DMV within 24 days
To the DMV within 24 hours
To the CHP within 24 days
To the CHP within 24 hours

quik1964
Rating
If there was bodily injury or death i would assume the police were at the scene of the accident, therefore the police would be questioning everyone there, if you were involved they would have told you that you had to fill out reports within 24 HOURS.
Besides that, they also file accident reports with the DMV so anyone involved and guilty of violations would would be fined etc. and so on.
In short, file reports immediatly to cover your @$$!

moveandlose
If the accident involves a vehicle, contact the CHP, your insurance company. If no vehicle was involved, notify police. The DMV will be notified through the police if they were at the scene and a report was filed or the CHP takes a report when you talk to them.

Ryan R
Rating
In Maine, if the damage occurs on a public way and is at least $1,000, you must report the incident to the police and file a self-report to the Secretary of State within 48 hours. Other states' laws are probably similar.

~carmie~
You should report it immediately and report the accident to the police.

vbailey1310
Rating
Due to being an auto insurance counselor, you must report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible, as well as to the police. By as soon as possible, I mean as soon as you are able after the accident, if not from the scene of the accident.

cav
this a drivers test? call 911 if it causes injury or death its an emergency

lildude211us
You must report it right away to the police and DMV. I think you can get into trouble if you waited to report an injury or fatal accident that you are involved in.

Nami
Rating
Theoretically 24 hours and here's why:
A person must be missing for 24 hours or more before the police will begin investigation without overwhelming evidence of kidnapping, murder, etc. If you are involved in an injury, number one: you must call 911 and report immediately for emergency care, etc.
Number two: If you don't report a death within twenty-four hours, the likelyhood that you will be arrested (for accesory to murder after the fact, withholding evidence or obstruction) increases dramatically. (By about 90%.)

vincent c
24hrs to the police and if its over a certain amount $$$

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it ture that if you are sitting at a red light and you take your foot off the gas petel?
Is it true that in New York, if you are sitting at a red light and you take your fooot off the gas petel and creep just a little bit, and then put your foot back on the breaks, is it coincidered ...

How to get speedbumps installed on city and neighborhood roads?
I would like to get speedbumps installed on city and neighborhood roads in my area. I live in Georgia and would like to know how I would go about the speedbumps.

T...

Why are most car washes dimly lit?

What areyour biggest pet peaves while driving?
I hate when I am already going WAY over the speed limit and someone is tailgating me!
I also hate it when I get to the stop sign just moments before someone else and they wave at ME to go when ...

What's worse: a car accident or a gun accident?

How can I calm myself down while driving?
So, usually I am a very calm, outgoing and fun guy. But whenever I get behind the wheel of a car I loose all patience and flip out. Recently I got into a fenderbender(he hit me) and I went berserk, ...

At a corner with no lights or stop sign - who has the right of way?
My husband told me the drivers that don't have the dip have the right of way, but I've seen some corners with no lights or stop signs and no dips....

Do USA cars have daytime running lights?
How do you feel about driving with lights on during the day?...

Why are almost all car crashes called accidents?
I was in a car crash a week ago and that was an accident but why are almost all crashes called accidents when plenty of them aern't. sometimes people mean for it to happen....

How do I use my engine to break?
I have an automatic. If I didn't want to burn out my brakes while constantly going downhill, what would be the best way to use my engine for breaking?

My gearbox looks like this:

Do you think they will start putting seatbelts in all schoolbuses after that 6 person fatality accident?
Since they make everyone else in cars buckle up...
Additional Details
and i know it was a college but the fact still remains that most schoolbuses don't' even have seatbelts. I...

Splashing pedestrians on rainy days...?
Who else loves to go around splashing water with your wheels to unawared pedestrians on rainy days?...

How far does a car need to stay away from a fire hydrant?

If guardrails were high voltage and had sharp spikes, would lives be saved?
Soft guardrails, and break-away posts are causing many more deaths...shouldn't we try some serious incentives on the side of our freeways?

What is the best way to cross a dark, busy highway in the middle of the night?

What can possibly cause an 18-wheeler to fail its brakes ?

Could someone please tell me who's at the front of the traffic jam?

If my car get reposed. Whats the worst that could happen?

Why do they keep making faster cars if in most roads the speed limit is under 120km/h?
It doesn't make sense to me that we have all these new cars with ever more powerful engines that can go over 300 km/h when there are speed restrictions in place and you can never really use the ...

Is safe to have your banna eaten while driving?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, October 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links