Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Improving driving anticipation and perception?
Find answers to your legal question.

Improving driving anticipation and perception?

Any suggestions on improving anticipation and perception skills with driving?

selwyn
Join your local Advanced Driving Centre.
They are very help full and I think you will get great value for money and a skill for life.

Dave E
The Advanced Driving manual, Roadcraft explains that the basis for improved anticipation is based on taking and using information, and that this is based on:
1. What can be seen
2. What cannot be seen
3. What can reasonably be expected to happen.

1. What can be seen can be obvious, or a reflection in a shop window. Look ahead, across the hedges and in the gaps, can you see a vehicle ahead or oncoming. A favorite Advanced Driving question is to ask the colour of the oncoming car, just after it has disappeared behind another hedge.

2. What cannot be seen can mean smell or noise. At a humpback bridge can you hear a car horn? Do you lower your window and switch off your radio so that you can hear that car horn?

3. What can reasonably be expected to happen. This isn't necessarily obvious; rubbish bags / wheelie bins at the side of the road can mean that the Refuse Truck is just round the corner - this is an observation link. Other observation links include:
A circle of lamp-posts means a roundabout
A single lamp-post is opposite a junction
Steaming horse-poo means the horse is round the next corner!
An exposed bridge is a micro-climate - it gets ice when other places are clear
A gap in the hedge is a micro-climate - expect a side-wind

Advanced driving teaches you these techniques and how to apply this information, local IAM groups round the UK provide free tuition using volunteers like myself.

Roxanne G
Rating
No distractions while you're behind the wheel - always try and look ahead to what's happening several cars ahead of you.

thomas b
The idea of anticipation and perception is to try to work out what other drivers on the road are going to do before they do it . So what you are trying to do is put yourself in their car and think what would i do in that position ,when you are driving along ideally you should be looking about three to four car lengths in front of you this helps to have quicker anticipation of the road and other drivers in front of you .

coolkebab
I try to imagine what is the dumbest thing that the people around me could do,treat this as a game and you will be surprised how you soon learn to anticipate what people around you are going to do.

jduck1979
Rating
1) Check out these 2 books:
"Paul Ripley's Expert Driving" (ISBN 0716030098)
+
"RoadCraft" (ISBN 0113408587)
both of which will get you started off on using advanced driving skills

2) Book a few sessions with a reputable Advanced Driving Instructor

3) Practise & experience from actually driving on the road

4) Check out this flash game, intended to prep UK learner drivers for the Hazard perception test:
http://www.2pass.co.uk/hazardp.html

gam3fr3aks
Rating
Some good comments have been made so far.
My suggestions would be experience, there is no substitute for experience and removing all distractions.

Maybe consider and advanced driving course.

StingRay
You just have to learn to read the road, it comes with experience.

ButwhatdoIno?
Rating
Treat every other driver as a "loose nut behind the wheel".
Do not tailgate. Use the 2 second rule(and double that when following motorcycles).

Don't just concentrate on the rear bumber of the car in front of you, look 4 cars ahead of him and see what is going on.

Also, have your mirrors set correctly so a quick glance is all you need to see behind and do flash glances at those mirrors.

Be aware what is around you. and what is "possible".

If you can see in the other car look at the driver to see if "thery are awake" or not paying attention.

Old people don't cause accidents because of inattention or being flippant. They got both hands on the wheel and are concentrating. Race car drivers do the same.

Treat driving like a job, and a job you got to do well. And sometimes that means thinking for the other person.

Da Professori
All the above answers are excellent, also from past experience of working in a booking centre for driving tests, use the 'Hazard Perception Test ' DVD, available via DSA, or check out a certain nationwide School of Motoring (no advertising here!) local learning centre, where they have the Theory Test Simulator.

psychoticgenius
Travel as a passenger you will see more.

YORKSHIRE
Rating
Practice and experience are the only sure methods to improve your hazard perception and anticipation.

toosexyformycar
Always be prepared for what other motorist will do.When stopped at a red light and it goes green look both directions to be sure no one is running a red light before you enter the intersection,always expect what another will do that most do not prepare for.People think that driving above posted speed limits on back roads is safe but that is quite often very wrong,on those back roads is when you are most likely to come across animals on the road and you can never know what your reaction will be,alot of people who live on back roads assume there is hardly ever any traffic so sometimes do not look when they pull out of their driveways.Just always expect the unexpected.

musonic
Rating
Perception is about being sighted, and sight starts with being able to see, and the first absolute priority is to have good eyesight (with or without spectacles) and clean glass/mirrors.

It's amazing how many people drive around half-blind or with dirty screens etc.

Having stated the obvious, I recall a very interesting study carried out many years ago about "driver types".

I'm going entirely from long-memory, but I think the four categores were as follows:-

a) Disassociated/active (Agressive drivers who were unaware)
b) Disassociated/passive (Slow drivers who were unaware)
c) Associated/active (More agressive driver are very aware of what is going on around them)

d) Associated/passive (probably most women drivers/none agressive and aware of what was going on)

It means that a very large proportion of drivers are really not suitable to the task; being disassociated and unaware, with the worst category being the agressive and "stupidly out of touch with reality" types.

Good drivers absolutely need to be of the "associated" type, who are serioulsy involved in what is going on around them, which is why some FAST drivers never have accidents, whilst the SLOWER and less motivated "disassociated" but passive drivers are probably far more dangerous to themselves and other road-users.

I believe that being "associated" is probably a personality trait, and as such, it is possible that it cannot be altered.

Having got this far, and assuming that the questioner has good eyes and the right sort of personality, the next step is to observe as much as possible, and there is a secret in good observation.

Using your finger-end, bring it towards your eyes until it is almost too close to be in focus. Then ask yourself what you can see other than the finger-end? The answer is "virtually nothing," because peripheral-vision has been destroyed by the near-focus of the eyes.

This means, that when driving, we should NEVER concentrate on the vehicle just in front, or even the one in front of that. Instead, you fix your focus on the most distant objects, which is the same as setting a camera-lens to "infinity."

ONLY THEN is it possible to see everything properly, which is why it is so dangerous to fiddle around with radio stations or try to use sat/navs or key in texts on a mobile-phone, which require that the eyes re-focus to near-vision; thus rendering a driver totally blind to the road.

The rest is down to two things: the learning process and imagination.

All complex skills build on previous skills, and this is why we can't just go to a piano and play it. It starts with basic technique, and on that is built ever greater technique. The same is true of driving, which has a definite repertoire of manouvers, specific things to do and situations into which one should not get.

Remember how difficult it was to learn how to steer or brake smoothly? There is a learning-curve involved.

It is because driving is such a complex and constantly changing task, that all attempts to regulate and control it, amount to so little in safety terms, as accident statistics remain stubbornly static.

Imagination is more to do with those "what if" situations.

What if that child hasn't seen you?

What if that cyclist wobbles when he sets off?

What if that patch of wet road has turned to ice?

Imagination is something which really can't be taught, but it can be developed by a combination of learning and observation.

My best advice would be to "learn from your mistakes," by quietly contemplating what you (or even other people) did wrong, but more importantly, to always drive within the limits of your own ability and those of your vehicle.

They may frustrate me sometimes, but I have every respect for slow SAFE drivers, who drive according to their ability.

If you then drive within the limits of what can be seen and allow for the unexpected things which cannot be seen immediately, there is a good chance that you will become a more attentive and better driver.

2,000,000 miles of safe-driving has taught me one thing, and that is that the fact that the unexpected can and does happen, and only the most finely honed skills will get you out of the situation.

I had one of those "Oh my God" moments last winter, driving a fully laden truck down a steep-hill towards a roundabout, when what I thought was simply a damp road, turned out to be covered in diesel-oil. With something weighing 44 tonnes, even 20mph is potentially lethal, and the loaded trailer was pushing hard when I put on the brakes.

At 3am in the morning, I could get out of trouble only one way, and took the brakes OFF about 20 yds before the roundabout, so that I could get just enough steering to avoid colliding with the roundabout itself; taking the vehicle to the far right as I approached, and then taking the straightest line possible into the roundabout itself. Having got that far, the next problem was turning the vehicle right, which the diesel-oil simply wouldn't allow.So instead, I steered slightly to the right and slammed on the emergency-brake as I did so, which locked the driving wheels of the tractor-unit, causing the whole vehicle to jackknife, but in a straight-line.

The sideways scrub of the tractor rear driving-tyres, (with the tractor at 90 degrees to the trailer) was enough to bring the vehicle safely to a halt, even though it was all a bit dramatic. This gave me just enough space to slide gently to a halt, right up against a lampost. Damage was restricted to a rubber-clip on the mudguard, but it had been a close call.

That was a combination of learning , perception, anticipation and imagination, and it is what can save lives and avoid accidents when something does go wrong unexpectedly.

Of course, I would be fibbing if I didn't say I was quite proud of getting out of that one safely!

So do what you can well, and never stop learning and improving. It could save your life someday, and possibly that of someone else.

ssassy_bird
I am not kidding you when I say you should learn to ride a motorcycle!

It is well known that you have to have eyes everywhere on a bike and as a result your car driving skills improve massively.

Go on ... get a bike! You just might like it too.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What does everyone think about elderly drivers?
Do you think they shouldn't be allowed to drive after a certain age? I ask this because I was just driving behind an elderly man. He could barely see over the wheel, was going 10 mph in a 35, ...

Throwing snowballs at cars... kinda, whats going to happen?
Well today, my friends and I hid behind parked cars and threw snowballs out. I didn't actually throw any, but I just sat and watched it happen. One of the guys that was hit came back around and ...

Should I be SCARED?!?
ME AND Y BEST FRIEND GOT INTO A BADD CAR RECK ABOUT TWO DAYS AGO EVERYBODYS FINE i REALLY DIDNT GET HURT NOR DID SHE BUT, NOW I AM SOOOO SCARED EVEN TO GET INTO A CAR. I FEEL THE MAN THAT RAN INTO US...

How do I do a burn Out in an automatic car??? With Front Wheel Drive......!?

Additional Details
I don't have a hand brake, I had it removed and replaced it with a no2 container and installed a foot brake....

Some lady cut in front of me today on my way to work and I threw my latte at her. Did I overreact?

What do you do at an automobile accident?
I recently came upon a significant automobile accident on a rural but busy divided highway. Many pieces of the car were scattered on the road, and the car was totaled (front end collosion with ...

Why do I always fall alseep driving, even when I am not tired?

Why are new cars made to crunch?
New cars are made so that way when you get into an accident they crumple becuase it supposedly saves lives. In my experiance they do not saves live they cause more damage so if you survive the wreck ...

Why is it leagal for a rider to not wear a helmet ,however illegal to not wear a seat belt?

Is it me or what?
but everytime i read the paper or watch the news theres always an on interstate 80 (lackawanna twp., mercer county, pa). is the problem the road or is it the drivers fault? i live like no ...

How to safely destroy a Tomtom?
I have a TomTom One 1st ed which is still covered with a 'whatever happens' insurance policy. I wanted to destroy it safely in a way that I can get a new one from the insurance. New models ...

Can i be charged with a felony in calif. for causing a car accident with a death while talking on a cell pho
IS IT A MISDEAMENOR OR A FELONY IF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN A CAR ACCIDENT WHILE TALKING ON A CELL PHONE AND SOMEONE DIES FROM THE ACCIDENT....

Who has the right of way?
at a 4 way intersection a police car,an ambulance,a fire truck and a mail truck all show up at the same time.its an emergency situation.Who gets the right to go first?...

Can I rest my case?
As a woman driver, I have never had an accident but I see many of them in my rear-view mirror....

What exactly does the Walk/Don't Walk button really do at a crosswalk intersection?
Does that button really do anything? If so, what? Does it shorten the time of a red light? Lengthen the time of the walk sign? Does it matter how many times you press it?...

Should the second size car seat (forward facing) be able to move from side to side?
We recently bought a new car seat and fitted it as instructed but we were slightly concerned by how far it shifts from left to right. His first size seat seemed a lot more secure and ridgid. Or are ...

Any rules for my German Shepherd dog riding in the car?
Someome (that I really despise) was getting on me the other day about my German Shepherd dog riding in the passenger seat of my car. They were saying that the police could give me a ticket if he wasn&...

I need your opinion on whether old cars should be allowed to stay on the road?

Riding In The Back Of An Open Pick-Up Truck?
I was Wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to ride in the back of a pick up truck in S.C? Is there a website where i can find information of it being legal or not??If anybody has a website that ...

If you are caught by a speed camera in your 1st year of driving will your licence be taken of you?

Additional Details
I mean OFF you!!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, December 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links