Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

In Massachusetts, do you need to have a parking brake in the middle for the MA driver's license exam?
Find answers to your legal question.

In Massachusetts, do you need to have a parking brake in the middle for the MA driver's license exam?

My friend wants to take the driver's license road test in Massachusetts, and he will be using my car. The MA RMV on http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/5classd.htm states, "The examiner must be able to reach the vehicle's emergency brake or foot brake. Any vehicle with a center console that does not have an emergency brake as part of the console cannot be used."

My car does not have an emergency brake in the middle, just on the left side where the instructor would not be able to reach across for access. Has anyone who has taken the MA road test ever had this problem? Will the instructor really enforce this? I've never heard of such a requirement before and find it hard to believe that they would enforce it.

If they do enforce it, any ideas on how to get a car? Will Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, etc, rent a car to someone who does not have a license?

Thanks!
Additional Details
Thanks for your quick responses. They are useful. To answer frediwhite, in my car, the footbrake is on the side furthest from the instructor so the instructor would not be able to reach it. There is no handbrake in the middle.

Vorhees a jolly good fellow
Wow, thats good research on your part.

I'm from Australia, most of our cars have the park brake in the centre console, but my Toyota has it on the dash, so it would be hard for a passenger to reach (not only that, it doesnt work that well)

Its a strange rule, because park brakes are not designed to stop a car, its designed to hold a cars weight once it is stopped. I'd also consider it to be dangerous to have someone rip on the park brake if you werent expecting it. Particular if the car was front wheel drive.

Im not sure about the USA, but in Australia, most of our driving school cars have a brake and a clutch on the passenger side that the instructor can use if they need to, perhaps you might find on like that in the states and use their car for a test? Its common for a student to use the instructors car in the test over here.

frediwhite@verizon.net
Note the requirement says "reach ... or foot brake." You don't have a problem.

UCANTCME
Rating
No you don't.........because all cars are built different..

Jim
the examiner has to be able to reach the e brake or foot brake. Any vehicle with a center console that does not have the e brake as part of the console cannot be used!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Point system with a New York driver license
Is it true that if I get a ticket in another state due to a moving violation, I don't get points added to my license, unless the moving violation occurs in Quebec and Ontario?...

Im moving to missouri when i turn 18. driver's lisence question!?
im moving to missouri when i turn 18 and i dont have mydrivers permit because in virginia you can get your drivers permit at 18 and 1 month later you get your license. how does this work in missouri? ...

When pulling two trailers what is the maximum length of a single trailer?
I want to tow two trailers. I need one to be as long as possible while the other can be shorter than the first. I need to be able to travel on local routes and not limited to interstate corridors. I...

Designated parking bays outside your home.?
Ive heard from an ex councillor that people in the nursing profession can get special bays for parking put outside their home. (much like the disabled bays for blue badge holders). This will allow ...

Reporting dangerous HGV drivers?
On my way home from work today a HGV followed way too close for comfort, all i could see in my rear view mirror was the grill of the vehicle!! it was a national speed limit single carriageway road, ...

What is a pelican crossing?
How is it different from a zebra crossing?

and why is it called that?

thanks all :)...

Do deer alert whistles really work?
if I buy a pair of deer alert whistles will the odds of a car-deer collision go ...

My car overheated twice at drive-thru but runs fine after i park & add fresh fluids should i...?
...drive with the heater on?

my car overheated once at the drive thru at in-out-burger and the line of cars was a 45 minute wait close to. when i finally pulled up to the window for my ...

What happens when you lose ur driving permit (physically as in can't find it)?
I lost my driving permit yesterday, and I was wondering what could happen if it got in the wrong hands? I know I can just go to the D.O.L.and get another one, but i was just worried about identity ...

Driving test tomorrow...?
Any advice for me???
nerves will probably let me down!!...

HOw much safer is a Bay window VW bus than a split window. HOw much diffrent is it in a crash.Not worth getin?
I hear that bays are safer. How much diffrent would it be ina front or side crash on a Bay compared to a Split.
Additional Details
what if i add abs breaks 5 pice seatbelts and a costom ...

Ice road truckers?
how much money do ice road truckers acually bring home?...

Whats the cheapest car with side airbags?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Additional Details
im lookin to spend 5-7000$...

What is the igellal speeding limit in wisconsin?
hi there this is for police officers olny and sheriffs that are from wisconsin so please write ...

What is the proper procedure for backing out of a parking spot?
I'm taking my driver's test tomorrow for the first time. I need to know if when I back out of my parking spot if I'm allowed to take quick glances at the car on my side. I'm ...

Driving Question ?????????????????????????
I need help this is my ?
Do not consider buying a used vehicle that
a) has a corroded battery cables
b) has chipped paint
c) needs a new filter
d) does not shift smoothly<...

Who has the right-of-way at a two-way stop in this situation?
A green car approaches the two-way stop sign first. This car wants to make a left, but the traffic on the road without a stop sign is too heavy and consistent. A blue car approaches the opposite ...

Is the California law about talking on cell phones while driving the same in any other states as well?
Specifically N...

Which is the safer city?
college park, maryland...or new york city?
Additional Details
greenwich village in nyc, specifically....

What is the driving age
how old do you have to be if you are born in may 1993
i have checked the dvla website and cant find ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links