Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

In Ohio, at what point do you have to honk your horn when passing a car? Before you pass? Next to it?
Find answers to your legal question.

In Ohio, at what point do you have to honk your horn when passing a car? Before you pass? Next to it?

I was involved in an accident. There was a truck stopped in the middle of the lane with no turn signal or anything. I slowed way down, and when he still wasn't going anywhere and there was no oncoming traffic, I signaled and went to go around him. As I was almost next to him he did a left hand turn into a drive way and hit me. The cops claim that I obviously hit him, which looking at the damage to my now totaled vehicle is incorrect. I got cited for improper passing for not using a horn, yet he received no citations even though no signals were used. At which point are you required to honk? when you start to pass them? Get next to them? or when?

texaswildman
Rating
if you had waited a few min. none of this would had happen. but the damage is done. i don't know the honking law in ohio. but any time a vehicle is in front of you they have the right of way.even if they don't signal. you as a driver have to use your best way of thinking. in this situations. by passing on the left. when a vehicle is not moving does not give you the right to pass. that is why you got the tickets. the truck was suppose to use his signals. but it does not matter now.

UCANTCME
Rating
At a minimum of 15 feet so that they will know that you are back there..

Update from the Ohio Motor Vehicles Handbook.....

The Ohio driver's education books state that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Does it really matter if the pedestrian Donte Stallworth killed wasn't in the crosswalk?
One could possibly make the argument that the guy jumped right out in front of the car, but Stallworth's story doesn't say that. And I understand that jaywalking is against the law. The ...

What is the percentage of women causing Accidents yahoo?
what is the percentage of women causing Accidents ...

Is it against the law to ride in a tag along while going down the road?

Additional Details
like a 5th wheel travel ...

Why are street signs so smalllll? :-)?
Hello -

Why are the street signs incredibly small, so a lot of people can't read them and THIS CAUSES A LOT OF CRASHES. Thhey could easily make them much bigger. Why are they so ...

Rules of the road book?
i need to study so i can get my license i am 27 and never in my life had a drivers license i have a rules of the road book but i would rather study on-line in possible is there a way i can study and ...

Who has the right of way when a ambulance siren lights are on but no sounds.?
should i make a right turn stop for ambulance that sirens are lighting but no sounds?

but when the ambulance has siren's sounds are on i know what i should do make a safe right turn ...

Do you have to report broken glass on the road to the police?
i was driving home tonight and i thought some one threw a bottle at my car and the driver in the other lane started shouting abuse at me but they obviously thought i threw glass but when i got home i ...

Why is snow so white?
I just thought i'd add one more real stupid question to go along with some of the others I've seen on here
Additional Details
I can't believe someone actually looked up ...

Tell me everything i need to know about floridas road rules?
i need help!
Additional Details
I also dont have a drivers ...

Girl just learned to drive went down a one-way street in the wrong direction but didnt break the law.explain?

Additional Details
the correct question is....a Girl who just learned how to drive went down one-way street in the wrong direction but didnt break the law...explain?...............

When you passed your driving test?
How near or far did you go,was it days weeks months when you went place you never knew and drove far out???

Thank you so much :-)...

Michigan law on tinting car windows?
what percentage of transparency is legal for a vehicle back and side ...

I passed a lot of gas recently?
Yes um from the back side :S
What does this indicate? Problems with the digestive system?...

What is rural driving?
what is rural driving exactly i have to write and essay fro drivers ed and i dont know what it is exactly not even the book really tells me....

How old to be a driver mate?
Hi how old do you need to be a drivers mate in (UK) i am 17 years old and interested in logistics....

HELPP! *drunk driving*?
i am doing a SWIM project trying to convince teens to not drink. i need an interesting statistic. i was going for the % of teens that die every year from drunk driving but cant find it. does anybody ...

Does nebraska allow gps devices on the windshield?

I got into an accident with a city owned vehicle is that worse or the same as hitting a personal vehicle?
So the very day i get auto insurance and my first day ever driving I rear end a city bus when i accidently pressed the gas and not the brake. I called my insurance company as soon as i could get to a ...

I'am considering getting fog lights... cuz i dont see well at night would that make a difference?

What are the best padlocks?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links