Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it an offence to block someones driveway especially when a vehicle is parked there?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it an offence to block someones driveway especially when a vehicle is parked there?

Paulrambler
Rating
Simple answer...Yes

Nosey parker
YES. The parked vehicle is causing an obstruction.

You cannot legally park to block someone elses right of entry or exit to there garage or drive.

BIG D
Rating
By parking, yes.
but setting down a passenger or delivering a letter,no.

It's all down to common sense. Something sometimes missing when people are car fiends !!

Cloudcity CC
Its illegal and you could have them towed if they were there long enough.

speedy_me18
Yes and I believe that you have the right to have it towed. At least I would try...

bert
Of course it is, get on to the local P.C. Plod.

frankturk50
Rating
If the offending vehicle is parked on the highway blocking the entrance then yes it is an obstruction of the highway.

Goose
Rating
If you parked across my driveway, let's just say your car will have moved by the time you got back to it.

SYJ
Rating
Yes, emphatically. You do not know who lives in the house and it could be a doctor who needs to get out for an emergency or someone else in a lifesaving job. It is just plain bad manners to block off someone's driveway where there is a car on it at the time or not.

nipper
What kind of a**hole would do a thing like that?

Dani
That car can be towed. You are not allowed to park in front of a separated curb. I'd be worried about the owner. You might find four sliced tires.

leambi
Yes and is really inconsiderate, if you do you should get your car towed

theresa c
OH YES THE POLICE CAN EVEN GET OT TOED AWAY .

Nutty Girl
Rating
yes and its rude

Paul C
Rating
It is an offence to park across a dropped curb, simple as that.

stressedbutsmiling
If it isn't it ought to be!

The Tank
Rating
It is an offence to obstruct someone's legal access and exit from their property. You can't be too rigid about it though. If the driveway is empty and you arrive home then you'll have to park elsewhere and wait a 'reasonable' time for the obstructing vehicle to move.

Whether the police will take action or not depends on how long the obstructing vehicle has been there. They can't do anything if it's gone by the time they arrive.

You must not place objects in the road to 'reserve' your access. Some people put cones or wheely bins outside their drive to stop others parking there. This is also an offence, called obstructing the public highway. The police always take a very dim view of this and won't accept "keeping my drive clear" as an excuse.

The Mr. Pine
You can get ticket for that.

rowdy
Now come on. What do YOU think?

If someone comes out of their driveway, they are "going about their lawful business". If you prevent them from doing that, that's "obstruction", which is an offence (quite apart from any motoring laws).

vdv_desantnik
Rating
yes

Steven C
yes it is and some people do not take kindly to it

the bad seed
yes, even if it's your own driveway..
i once got a ticket for blocking my driveway,
in front of my house that i own and live in !

neogriff
Rating
In the UK, technically unless there are double yellows saying you can't park there then no, however It is kind of an unspoken commandment that you don't do it.
People have blocked my driveway before without taking heed of the signs saying that offending vehicles will be moved (note - not RE-moved) and also without noting that I have a large 4 wheel drive vehicle with big strong bull bars on the front parked there.
The offending vehicles don't stay where they were left for long...

The point being that I often leave for work in the morning at 4am and if some pr*ck has blocked my drive then I have no intention of waking all my neighbours trying to find who owns the car.

Funny Lad
Rating
i believe that it is just politeness that you don't park in front of a drive way,

sunshine
Not unless there are double yellows - driveways work on a courtesy basis. If someone is disabled with a drive they will usually have a pole or a parking space marked officially by the council. Its just bad manners basically!

Angie
I have asked people and left notes on their cars not to block the stairs leading into my house but they ignore it. Also I did it again last night and she called all of her friends and they all came down and parked in front of my house including the steps and the one car is still in front of my steps this morning

Angie
I have asked people and left notes on their cars not to block the stairs leading into my house but they ignore it. Also I did it again last night and she called all of her friends and they all came down and parked in front of my house including the steps and the one car is still in front of my steps this morning

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can a cop pull you over for suspicion?
If I am going the speed limit and not doing anything wrong, can an officer pull me over if he runs my plates? Second question: can an officer run my plates for the hell of it or does he need a legal ...

Have you ever driven in snow before.?
How did you find it? I drove in it for the first time today. Never again! I tried my best to be real careful but still managed to slide a little a couple of times when slowing down gently. How did ...

Whats the speed limit on a normal road?

Do you think that seat belts will really help you in a car acedent?
I want to know what real people think....

UK Driving test-Traffic lights; what is the correct rule?
According to the Highway Code, amber always means 'stop'.
But my driving instructor is adamant that when amber is flashing at a crossing, you can go on providing the way is clear. H...

What irritates you the most when driving in traffic?
I hate it when these idiot morons are driving like they're on a race track, or in a video game, they race back and forth, endangering everyone, and when you get to the next traffic light the ...

Used Car Seat "Issue"?
Ok, so I'm going back to work (Part-time) and so there will be a need for a 2nd carseat for our 12 month daughter. Here's the thing. My husband wants me to look at yard sales for a car seat....

Is it possible to bribe a driving instructor?
Im a learner and was wondering if any body knows of any way of bribing a driving instructor to passing you on your test. Are there any driving instructors reading this that could help, im scared to ...

Why do vehicles have speedometers showing 140+ when the top speed limit is 70?
doesn't that encourage ...

Teaching my niece to drive - should we purposely set her up to encounter "real" dangers while driving?
My brother wants to follow us around and kind of come at her like running a stop sign, to see how she'll react if she almost gets hit. I also thought maybe I'd yell something while she was ...

My sisters broke down car was left on the side of the road and when she came back next day it was gone.?
I tried to help her jump start it but it was completely dead and the car is very old and a piece of junk.It was left on someones property but their house was very far from the car and the car was not ...

Should we all Driving Licence holders be re-assessed every 5 years to reduce accidents and bad habits?
Then you could get a reduction in car tax if not taken a re-assesment then car tax would increse to double normal cost , good idea or not.
Additional Details
to add and thanks (405), i ...

Should the legal age for driving in UK should be raised to 21?
I think it should be, 17 is far too young, too young to watch a scary film, too young to drink alcohol, buy cigarettes, some 17 year olds are still at school, I dont think they are responsible enough,...

Why do people drive those ridiculous off road vehicles?
It is not necessary to run the children to school in a huge 4 wheel drive off roader, neither is it necessary for middle aged men who should know better to drive in towns in their ridiculous 4litre ...

Do you agree that bikes are unstable and should be allowed only on cycle tracks?Not main roads OR pavements.

Speed Driving?
Is it a crimina record if someone drive at at 120 miles per hour and accidentally killed somebody?...

Are police radars always accurate?
so i was driving home with my sister when i suddenly a police stops us and claims that we were driving over the speed limit when i swore we were under it. are police radars always accurate?...

How many speeding tickets have you had?
well any kind of tickets how many, what kind?...

Is it acceptable to go through an amber light to avoid an accident?
Hello, I'm pretty new to driving and am worried I will get into trouble for going through a light on amber which then turned red as I passed the stop line. I was intending to stop, but since ...

Dont you hate it when people are talking on their cell phones while driving?!?
i hate when people drive while talking on their cellphones! i also hate it when tyheirs an accident on the freeway and everyone stops and look!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links