Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it dangerous when wind blows around your light-weight car on the highway?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it dangerous when wind blows around your light-weight car on the highway?

Is it just a feeling when your car sways while on the highway, or can your car actually be blown around?

Ralfcoder
If it's pushing you around more than you can control, yeah. If it just moves you a bit, it's OK. Be sure your tires and brakes are in good shape, though. A blowout while you're being pushed around would ruin your day.

wizer
No it isn't dangerous. In fact the more wind and the more your blown around the safer it is, moron.

sgoldperson
Rating
YES it is dangerous. YES your car is REALLY being blown to a degree. If you can control the car then you are ok, but really be careful. I have a light car and have felt my car being moved. I still had control of it, but those strong winds in a light car aren't safe.

Lover not a Fighter
Rating
Yes. Slow down or just pull over until the wind dies down. Cars are designed to take head-on winds to over 100 mph. But it is NOT design for heavy cross winds.

Rarely cars do flip over. But most likely the car will lose traction and skid or slide.

Good Luck...

wifeofratt
Of Course! You can be blown off the road, or overcorrect and lose control. Pull over til it dies down or SLOW DOWN!

UCANTCME
Rating
I have always said this about small cars especially the smart car and yes its very dangerous and you should pull over and stop if the wind is blowing to hard……

Texas Underdog
Rating
Yes, Definately can be Dangerous.
==========================

Lutzkrieg
Rating
Cars are aerodynamically designed now days and you compensate for windshear even though yo may have to drive a little slower. You may like to take another answerers idea of pulling over and hope you don;'t get a week of strong wind but I really doubt that. I'm not saying gale force winds should be an occasion for sight-seeing as in a violent thunderstorm. Car makers wouldnt be allowed to produce cars that can be picked up by normal weather and flipped. I drove all the way from Queensland to Melbourne on the hiway in the middle of the night in a thunderstorm at normal speed in a ford festiva quite confidently.
Some sections of hiways have natural wind sheer most of the time when they funnel wind.
Basically no, wind sheer is a natural occurance and your car should be designed to handle it. Usually if someone flips a car, there are other factors as well as the wind sheer. Fatigue and wind sheer do not mix. You adjust and compensate for wind sheer as you drive and fatigue decreases your reactibility.
The other thing that can happen in wind in any car, as shown in the Bathurst 1000 car race in Australia is when one of the cars took a dip to fast and got airborne. In this case the car was lifted from underneath and flipped killing the driver.
As I said, the car is aerodynamic. This however that's from the top. Underneath is flat and makes a good frisbee type surface.
Besides most cars today are put through wind tunnel testing as part of the design process just as crash tests. So have no fear about driving a small car in the wind so long as youre not doing anything stupid and you feel competant enough to drive in these conditions. Youre safer in your small car than in a MPV.

My research is shown below.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What the procedure for paramedics for a car accident? What questions do they ask?
I am writing a book and it involves a car accident.
The guy in my story has a head injury and a leg injury (he is bleeding too)

what is the procedure (in order) what paramedics take ...

When did the tether system for car seats go into effect, and do you need to wear a seatbelt with it?

What is the best speed trap sensor?
im looking to buy a speed trap machine but i dont want to pay too much, ive seen some at 70 quid and dont want to go much over that, i am looking for 1 that sees mobile lasers and not just hotspots ...

Has anyone taken the Colorado driving test recently?
Just trying to get a feel for what some of the questions might be and what the important things to focus on are. Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks....

Why do people under 25 crash more than anyone else?
If you started driving at 25 are you less likly to crash?
Additional Details
Iam 25 iv been driving 7 years id agree with taking to many risks....

Does anyone know if the number of car accidents have gone down since the new "hands free" cellphone law in CA?
need to know soon! thx :)...

What is the purpose of having the different types of emergency vehicle sirens?
Drivers of emergency vehicles, in the UK at least, usually have the use of at least two different types of sirens (sometimes more) which they seem to alternate as they drive. What's the reason ...

Is a car design possible, which reduces the number of tailgaters?
It wouldn't be beyond the skill of car designers to make the rear of a car reasonably crumple-proof whilst leaving the front designed to crumple easily cushioning the blow in a collision. The ...

Can a middle 3 point seatbelt be fitted to a car that just has a lap belt?
My wife and i are interested in this car, but we have 3 kids, could a 3 point seat-belt be fitted in the middle seat?(which just has a lap-belt)

VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT DIESEL ESTATE (1997 - 2000...

What year did mandatory passenger srs airbag start?
Hi i am rebuilding a car and originally came with dual airbags. But the new dash i got is meant for this car but only have single airbag, no passenger side. I will be going to CHP for a vin ...

Would it be safe for a 20 year old girl to ride the train from Philly to Detroit, Michigan?
I live in Philadelphia and I want to visit my mother in Detroit. I don't have anyone to accompany me. Would it be safe to go alone? Would it be unwise to carry a shopping bad with me on the ...

U haul trailer question?
I am moving. I have a full size mattress and box spring, a couch, an oversized chair, coffee table, and two lamp tables. Will all this fit in a uhaul trailer?...

Is it legal to make left turn across the oncoming traffic and block the traffic when no left turn lane?

What does it mean when a sign reads, "Blasting Zone Ahead" on the road?

Red Light Camera HELP?
So this is the deal i went through a yellow light and got past it before it turned red and this BRIGHT Light flashed behind me once i was already through the intersection and stopped their was a car ...

Dirt road by SANDLAKE COMMONS? (orlando florida)?
I am taking my girlfriend to watch the sunset on the east side of Big Sand Lake in Orlando. I was looking for places to park my truck and I saw about 100 feet or so of dirt road. I posted a link to ...

Whats the most irresponsible thing you've done while driving?
anything you want to share?...

Can I drive a hot shot with a no tractor trailer restriction on my class A license.?

Accident with the car door?
Alright here's my story i was pulling into a parking lot right and i saw a parking spot which was pretty big, i saw the door opened a little bit and the daughter of the car saw my car coming in ...

Should safety be viewed differently in agriculture than in an industrial setting?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links