Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it illegal to block a sidewalk when parked in your own driveway?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to block a sidewalk when parked in your own driveway?

Also, who determines this matter? Can the HOA levy fines against the homeowner if this situation is not specifically called out in the by-laws? Is this a city, county or state ruling?

I live in Florida

edselmanll
yes, they can call the police and they can give you a ticket for illegally parking across your sidewalk , actually it's not your sidewalk, the property line starts behind it. It belongs to the city or county in most states :(

would you park blocking the traffic in the street, well it's the same thing, you are blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic and it doesn't matter if you are in a HOA or not. Anybody using the sidewalk can call in a complaint and have a officer there in minutes, they are really sensitive to the handicaped :)

Property Surveyor for 33 years

maelstrom
Rating
HOA's seem to think they are the ruers of the neighborhood, I hate them. Fight them to the death.

if the municiple government want's to bother about it they might ticket you. most communities are too busy to send a cop out there to do that.

it varies city to city.

tell the HOA to go pi$$ up a rope.

rifleman01@verizon.net
I live in Florida also. (Sarasota county.) The driveway is yours. The sidewalk is public property. There is actually a federal law! (Takes precedence over lower laws except in the matter of the fine, which is up to the local authorities as to the amount.) It's called impeding the right of way. It's buried someplace in the DOT laws I had to learn as a semi driver.

Here is what is funny about this law. You live in the house serviced by the driveway, and are not blocking the street, but the sidewalk. I can park a semi just about anyplace but certain major cities, blocking the street, and they can't do anything if I am making a delivery. If I am making a delivery, giving me a hassle would come under restriction of commerce.

The major cities get a break citing the same law right back at them. My blocking the street keeps a larger amount of people from getting on with their "commerce", resulting in loss of productivity, and thus taxes the city makes. A famous man once said: "The Law is an ***", I believe it was Daniel Webster. Whoever it was, I agree with him.

Iam!!
Rating
In some towns, yes. Local law. Not state or Federal. You would have to check with your local jurisdiction.

If you live within a Homeowners Association, and the streets are private, not city or state controlled, whether or not it is illegal would be up to the Association by-laws. I would say if there is not anything listed in the by-laws then the HOA would have a hard time calling it illegal. If however the streets are city or state controlled, then you might have to abide by those jurisdictions and they might say that it is illegal to block a sidewalk.

Aaron A
I'm not sure if it is illegal it is more of a common courtesy. I mean think about it some little kid is riding down the sidewalk on a bike and a car is blocking it then they swerve to go around the car and go out in to the road and get hit by a car. That would wager on the conscious a long time

Common Sense
Rating
Yes, it probably is illegal...
It can be governed by any one of the groups you mentioned...

Angel Wings
Rating
You obviously do not have any consideration for sidewalk users.
your vehicle should be inside your property line, or on the road.

tim s
Rating
would you like to walk down a sidewalk and have a car block your way?

I'm a crazy rabbit squirrel!
Usually the sidewalk belongs to the city or municipality.
You would probably be liable if you force pedestrians into traffic.
If there is a death, it could be manslaughter.
Prison time.

Jamie
You are blocking a public thoroughfare. You can get a ticket. I'd advise you to move your car or park further in. If it gets damaged you can't do anything about it because it was on city land.

Firecracker .
Edselman is not quite right. While the actual property line may extend to the center of the street, the roadway and the sidewalk are in a "right of way" controlled by the town, city, etc. It is usually against the law to block the right of way, in this case, the pedestrians.
I live in NH. Some time ago, my van was sticking out of my driveway, blocking the sidewalk. The city police had it towed immediately. No ticket, no chance to move it, TOWED.

big win
Rating
its rude to block the sidewalk. think about the handcap, old people, children and mothers w/ strollers.what ur doin is a major pet peev of mine. please b considerate of others. u should b ticketed

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it illegal to "brake check" someone? cop?
if they hit you is it still there fault?...

Did you ever get a speeding ticket?
I think I get one every 3 years. How many miles over from the speeding limit do Officers generally target you for a speeding? The last two I got were 25 miles and 20 miles over, but I know some ...

OK, we've had the happy, clappy safe driving question on here, but let's be silly?
Who has driven into a corner too quickly, lost the car on snow/ice, or generally driven like such a pillock that you scared yourself???

Be honest or don't bother answering. 10 points ...

Is it illegal to not stop at a stop sign in a parking lot?

Why can't people learn the rules of the road?
Ok, an ambulance was coming behind me, so, I pull to the right, and stop. (with indicator lights on) Some a**hole behind me lays on the horn, pulls out, gave me the finger. He pulled out in front of ...

I hate driving in the snow and ice......how do i deal with this....?
It doesn't snow very often where I live but when it does there is usually a lot of ice....i drive a Nissan Frontier pickup that's not four wheel drive with off road tires that do not really ...

What happens if i don't go to a court date for a speeding ticket?
i tried calling to reschedule... no humans. i don't know what to do!...

Rude Drivers?
All I did was go to the grocery store and on the way home got cut off and passed on the right by someone going 50MPH. What is wrong with these people?...

If a camera is placed on one side of the road can you be flashed by the camera if you are on the opposite side?

Is it safe to drive with a full gas can in my trunk?
It is a brand new can, and wedged against the side of the trunk with a toolbox. (so little to no movement)....

What year did US cars begin having the 3rd brake light?

I'm look for a vehicle for my obese mother. Any suggestions?

What do you think about the Click it or Ticket law?
Why should we have to wear seatbelts while driving but over 40 million kids dont wear seatbelts on a bus? Please what do you think about this? I think its a big scam to get money. What do you think?<...

Can Anyone Give Me Tips for Driving in Icy Road Conditions?
I live in San Antonio, TX and we are about to have our first major icy snow storm in about 22 years ( i was about 5 the last time it happened). I haven't had to drive in these conditions yet as ...

Stick shift cars: question?
i heard that when it snowing, or sliperry out side(snow, ice) it better to keep some sandbags in the trunk. why, does it help?
i heard something about, to keep it from sliding, or something ...

Do you reckon they should lower the penalties for very minor speeding offences?
and by this i just mean some1 who gets flashed breaking it by 5-10mph. Im not sayin speeding is right or that those who drive well in excess or inappropiate speed for the road and conditions should b ...

Should we all report the David Frost questions???
He is irritating and pointless and nobody seems to care for him.

As he should know the answers to the questions he asks being a part of road safety campaign. Why then does he ask them ...

Any tips on calming my nerves while driving?!?!?
I just got my license a couple days ago and I am a nervous wreck! I know I can drive but when I get behind the wheel I get very nervous and it feels like I'm going to mess up....

Where do most accidents occur??

What should be done about the young idiots in cars that make are roads hell by driving dangerously?
They make as much noise as they can with their exhaust and stereos and seem to spend their lives seeking attention, annoying people and putting lives in danger!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links