Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it illegal to drive with a broken wing mirror?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to drive with a broken wing mirror?

on the drivers side.

XenonAudio
Yes, for the driver's side. But for the passenger's side, as long as it is not hanging and could cause damage to another driver or pedestrian on the road if it should fall off or if it sticks out too far, it is not a requirement however.

* * * Support good answers! By submitting a "thumbs up" rating
for a good answer you help reward good answerers with up to 50
additional points should they be selected as the best answer. * * *
_
_
_
_
_

m
you know i dont think it is.....i think as long as you have 2 mirrors on your car you can get away with it i never got busted! although i dont think it is advisable to just leave it. i would get it sorted asap! xx

Ricky J.
Rating
"if so equipped, must be in working order"

mark
Yes, you are required two have at least two mirrors. One on the drivers side and either a rear view or passenger side mirror.

Ed F
Rating
Wing mirrors were optional equipment on some cars years ago. If the mirror is broken you must get it fixed to pass inspection. BUT if you take the mirror off the car then there is nothing to fix and nothing to inspect.

angus r
no,but the car wont pass its mot unless its fixed

jerry
Rating
it depends on what state you live in and how tough the officer can be

harry
Rating
no , wing mirror's are an extra

GatorHunter®
I'm guessing you are driving a big rig, and the wing mirror is a extra mirror attached to your main mirror, i dont think it is illegal, but if the mirror is caught broken, you may get a fine or something, i would just remove it till you get another one

luke c
dont think u need em

CLIVE H
Unfortunately, when stopped by the road fuzz, almost anything which is wrong with your vehicle can be said to be illegal, including a broken wing mirror. The fuzz are supposed to give you time to fix this by the way, and usually give you a 'producer', that is, about a week to go to a Police station near you and show them your documents and the fixed item. What they're really looking for is uninsured drivers and drivers without a full UK license. They're also going to check tyres. Bald tyres get you a massive fine and points.

clarky303
Rating
It is illegal to drive without one on the drivers side, yes. I think its illegal now to drive with even the passenger side one broken.

glasgowdomestics
Rating
just drive faster than everyone else on the road.....easy.

Don
Rating
yeah so u need to get it done, go to the scrap yard and find one if its too much for you

freddy the newf
Rating
If it's not then it should be.

Ryan T
Rating
if you are in the United States it is illegal. the passenger side mirror doesnt matter. but you MUST have the driver side exterior and a rearview mirror. i dunno about anywhere else. good luck!

Arwen M
Rating
Yes, it is. If it is fitted to the car then it is illegal to drive without it working correctly (here I'm talking about when wing mirrors didn't use to be on the passanger side, in a car like that not to have one isn't illegal but if one was fitted when the car was built then it is).

*[Hanna]*
Rating
sure is hurryy get it fixed ! lol

orion_1812@yahoo.com
Rating
Having resided in several states and only juding by that fact: Every state I have resided in, the driver mirroe is a requirement. The passenger mirror is optional but driver is required.

bcitygent
Rating
If it isn't it should be...how can yer tell whats passing without it?

bikerdg
Rating
To fit it you can duct tape a hand held mirror to the old one. Yes you need a drivers side mirror.

oklatom
Rating
Depends on the specific law for your area, but usually yes, it is.

Even more so if you have tinted windows, since most states have a law that says something on the order of "If the back window is tinted, you must have 2 outside mirrors."

J M
Driver's side yes, passenger side no - these were acutally only added for cosmetic reasons because cars looked funny with only the driver's side one.

Daniel M
Rating
obligatary mirrors are o/s and rear view or n/s and o/s if rear view is damaged

cheekybluebed
yes

Miss Strong minded
it is illegal to drive with broken wing mirrors , you can be stopped and fined.
Also it won't pass it's MOT

Elmar fud
Rating
it is illegal to drive with a broken drivers side mirror not a passengers side.

bad boy for life
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Which US state has the worst drivers?

Being high or drunk. What is safer? Honestly.?
I have been high on cannabis many times, I have also been drunk many times. I know from experience that cannabis is safer and you have better judgement. But what do you think?...

Which of the following is a more dangerous driver?
SUV and pickup truck drivers on a cellphone, or elderly drivers?...

Do temporary traffic lights hold the same importance as normal traffic lights?
as my mate says that when the lights are red and there is no traffic coming you can go is this true?...

Can teens drive without a license if they are accompanied by an adult?
i am 16 and i do not have my learners permit yet i need to know if this is okay....

Who are the worst drivers in America?
I have always thought they were people from Ohio, but maybe that's just because my state is next to Ohio and we have more contact with them. Anyway, whatever you say, they are pretty bad....

Can deaf people drive legally?

My answer for reducing traffic. What do you think?
It seems that their are to many poor drivers who believe that it is their right to drive. I think that the following may help. The driving test should be more difficult and time consuming. A ...

Are platform shoes dangerous while driving?
I can drive safely in platforms without noticing but some say they hinder braking and could cause injury to wearers....

I am a learner and i got flashed by a speed camera on the side of the road.?
will they no it was me and if the camera was on the right and i was driving on the left would they still have got me.what will happen to my lisence anyone no???...

Why do cyclists ride on the pavement?
Even on narrow pavements where there is barely room for pedestrians to walk, they whizz by seemingly without a thought for anyone. It always looks like an act of aggression....

Baby in car.. so what??!?
the car running on road had a sticker saying "baby on Board" ....

so what am i supposed to do??
stop driving? no horn? turn off the head lamps?

then what??

Have you ever failed a driving test?

Why do some motorists do this?
your driving along a quite country lane in your car, a motorists comes up behind and overtakes at say 100mph and shoots off down the road out of site, you go further up the road and hes stuck behind ...

Does the car sign,. "Baby on Board" piss you off? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being really pissed, where r u?
It pisses me off, about a 7. If the driver is a milf, i can forget they had the ego to put up such an asinine sign. If i knew my parents put that sign up when i was a kid (and they didn't) I�...

Can cell phones start a fire at the gas pump?

Should the driving age be lowered?

How much do u guys think a speeding ticket over 100 mph is???plzzzzzz?
i was coming back from school today and a guy in a lexus started highbeaming me and there was traffic so i couldn't move to avoid having an accident i had to speed over 100 mph to like 107 to ...

What is the most visible colour for a vehicle?
If you want other drivers to be able to easily see your vehicle on the road, also at dusk and dawm - what colour(s) should you choose?
Additional Details
dawm = dawn!...

IF driving and drinking is against the law, why do all the bars have parking lots?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links