Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it illegal to have an extra child in the back seat of the car?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to have an extra child in the back seat of the car?

School holidays are approaching and I always like to take the kids out and about, the trouble I have is - friends. If we go somewhere and the child's friends are there they always ask to bring them home again but I'm not sure of the legalities regarding 4 kids in the 3 seats. I would make sure that the children were sharing a seatbelt so they were all restraint. Am I allowed to do this?

Baby Kiraaa
Rating
you need 1 seat belt per child

brian t
Rating
Two points that you need to note. A five seat car is INSURED for five. any more than this in the car and you can be done for breaking the insurance regulations.

Also, two kids sharing a seatbelt is dangerous.

UCANTCME
Rating
You cannot do this the laws for everywhere is that the number of people that can ride in a vehicle must equal the number of seat-belts in the vehicle.

kelly_f_1999
Rating
think about that again three seat belts four kids should be all you need to know no seat belt no kid

esmerelda v
Rating
You want to carry 6 people in a vehicle insured for 5 and you want 2 kids to share a single seatbelt.

Both of these are illegal.

Fellside13
Yes! Not only is sharing a seatbelt illegal but it is extremely dangerous and can cause more injuries in the event of an accident.

Vince M
Rating
Sharing a seat belt is dangerous and illegal.

Gemini DJ
Vehicle Construction and Use regulations apply.

If there are three seats, it is intended for only three people to sit on.

Child car seats must be fitted to one car seat, and the same principal applies.

It is ilegal by all means.

Chris A
Rating
no it would be totally illegal if your caught and being that they're kids and obviously under 14 (if they are) then its you who'll get the full responsibility for their safety and to make sure they're wearing their seatbelt, otherwise either duck one of them down the whole time or get a 7 seater estate or summin

rohak1212
It varies from place to place. Some places anyone that has a seat belt has to be wearing it, but that extra passengers are exempt. While in other places you cannot carry extra passengers at all. You'd be better off to check with your local police for the specifics in you area.

Jack
yes it is illegal but if they duck down who cares lol , what the police dont know cant hurt them

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Car accident can i sue car company?
i just got into a car accident about a week ago i went off the side of the road because i lost control of the car.....its a 93 honda prelude si.....i dont have car insurance since i didnt really ...

I am not the strongest guy, so I keep a gun in my car. What are the odds of my being caught?
I am not exactly built for fighting, so I keep a pistol wrapped in a towel under my car seat. I am not aggressive towards other people, and I am a pretty safe driver (no tickets) and I keep my car ...

How many feet will it take a car to stop if the car is going 70 mph?

Driving help please.(-_-) please ?
umm I started practicing.
I was nervous but ok.
I drove around my housing area but too scared to actually start the highway.
I could I do?
what did you do?
plus gotta a ...

I got a summons for driving without consideration - should i have received an option to pay a fine first?

You're at an intersection getting ready to turn right..However, you have a red right arrow (stoplight)...?
What do you do? It's my perception that if the right pointing arrow is RED, you have to wait until it turns GREEN to go. However, I've been honked at several times for sitting there waiting,...

What is the proper procedure when you are in a car accident with another vehicle?

Additional Details
a coworker of mind recomended having a camera in my glove capartment....

Is illegal to roll up a cigarette while driving?
I do it and i would think it is probably illegal, probably stupid too?...

Can i carry my fanny pack on a plane flight to england to carry passpot money prescription pills?

How old is 2 old to drive?
My 72 yr old grandfather keeps getting in to car accidents and he always say oh! she hit me I drive with him often he do not looks when he gets over I know he cause most of these accidents what can I ...

I have a 1976 ford mercury comet am i able to put airbags in it?
Has no power brakes or power ...

Can i move to LA when i turn 18?
Well it wont be just me, my two best friends will come with me to, we live in Florida and by 18 we want to go. Kayla is in hair school right now and by the time Alexandra and i get out of school she ...

Forklift tires need to have tred on them?
at my work the forklifts tires are completly bald, but the employer refuses to put new ones on. is this a osha violation? and if so how do i go about getting it to their attention?...

Suspended Drivers License.?
Ok i got into an accident..(not my fault) but i have a suspended license, i sent the police report in.. can they arrest you even if they didnt catch you in the act?
Well the insurance i guess ...

Who causes more accidents on the road?
Who causes more accidents on the road? Is it speeders or is it people that drive too slow?...

Is this a legal left turn?
I'm on a two lane road, each lane opposing traffic. And there is an entrance into a parking lot of my apartments on the left, and there is an entrance into a school on the right. So it makes a ...

I hit a dog driving last night...?
Last night on my way home from work I hit a dog. I tried to brake and even swerved into the next lane, but I was unable to avoid it. I I almost got rear-ended in the process and nearly lost control ...

Do u need a passport to go on a cruise.?

Radiator Valve?
How do i change a radiator value plz
Additional Details
It is called the Thermostat valve ...

I don't think it's safe for me to drive my car on the highway...?
So I want to go to Halloween Horror Nights on the 25th after school, and I'd stay at my boyfriend's house up there(I live 2 hours away)
Problem is, my car is a piece of crap. We had to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, November 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links