Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it illegal to have different tyre sizes on a car?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to have different tyre sizes on a car?

My front tyres are 195/65/14,the rear 195/60/14?

Thanks

Rock Firestorm
Not the "tyre" guy again.

What the heck is a "tyre?" Please explain.

davebliggs
perfectly legal, as long as both tyres on the same axle are the same size, front and rear can be different.

roger.williams20@btinternet.com
Many cars do have different sized wheels/tyres front and back, usually larger on the rear but they are designed for that purpose.

J G
Rating
Your car is designed in a specific way, and the manufacturer will specify tyre sizes. In practice, you probably won't notice any difference, but if you were to be involved in an accident, an insurance assessor or VOSA inspector would take a very dim view of sifferent tyre sizes.
You'll also have different handling characteristics, braking (especially ABS systems) will certainly be affected, your speedometer may read incorrectly.
Just fit the correct sized tyres.

Michael H
Gosh, all those people who say its illegal are just guessing

its perfectly legal

my front are 235/40 Zr 19 and my rear are 275/35 ZR19 and that is the standard fitment from the manufacturer,

UCANTCME
Yes its legal but it will affect the overall vehicles handling..

Rapid Fire
Rating
Take a look at a Corvette. Two different size tires as the roll out the factory door. LEGAL!

jake
I think it would feel like I was walking with one foot off the curb, or wearing one high heel shoe and one flat.

live_wire
Rating
depends where you live its legal in australia but not in Europe
"you got them the wrong way round mate you meant to put the bigs on the back"

da'zone
Rating
its illegal to put odd sizes on a car... but worse still, if you have a crash?... one of the 1st things the law will look for is safety... plus your insurance wont be happy that you've messed about with the manufacturers specifications...

driver_uk
would be better swapping front to back really, not ideal though!

blackpool lass
hiya, yes it is illegal.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Car accident question and it left me with whiplash?
i posted a question before asking if i should go to the doctor because my neck, back and shoulders were in pain. well i went, and he confirmed that i had slightly bad whiplash. he prescribed me 2 ...

Can I drive my siblings to school ?
Can I drive my siblings to school with a note from my parents if I just got my liscense?...

I have a 2 1/2 year old question about car seat?
i have this car seat right now http://www.walmart.com/c but its a different mold of this one. and the harness is to tight on her she does not go to the dr until march 6th (well ...

Can i park in a rd with no parking restrictions,40mph speed limit,street lights,without parking lights display?

Am I supposed to pull to the middle of the intersection to turn left?
I pulled to the middle of the intersection to turn left when the arrow was green. By the time it was safe to turn, the arrow had turned red due to a car coming in my direction running the yellow. I ...

Has your School Bus Driver .............?
............... gone through the Emergency Bus Evacuation procedures? Does your School District have a Bus Safety program?
Additional Details
""ISK8BM"" good answer .....

What convertibe will seat a family of fiive (5)?

A person may legally ride in the back of a pick-up truck when:?
A person may legally ride in the back of a pick-up truck when:?
Additional Details
the back of the pick-up truck has a camper shell.
the passenger is secured by a seatbelt and ...

In Massachusetts, in a car accident, how is the at-fault driver decided when an accident report isn't filed?
Police officer filled out an information exchange form, but not an accident report. He didn't directly say either driver was at fault. Does that mean neither driver is at fault or what?(accident ...

Doing 65mph in a 40mph zone in Florida? ?
I got pulled over in West Palm Beach, Fl for doing 65mph in a 40mph zone along with my buddy and we were given a citation for reckless driving: drag racing- the citation for reckless driving is a ...

I need help making wide white walked tires.?
I need to know how to make my tires have white walls. The tires need to look good and last. The tires are 13 inches and would go on a 1961 Mercury Comet....

Someone trying to steal my car?
so, my dad drives a bmw with a computer chip key and alarm on it. one morning he went to start his car and there was stuff jammed in the keyhole and it was covered in this pasty greasy type stuff... ...

Manual or automatic for the driving test?
Do i get to choose manual or automatic for my driving test or do they pick for me ???...

Need advice/ best deal for a baby car seat (forward facing)?
Our baby is now 1 yr old, time to buy another seat. These things go from $50 - $350! We want something for the long-term so likely a max of 100 lbs, but something that may have a little padding to ...

Help with some driving questions?
Question 71

Depressing the foot-brake pedal slows or stops the vehicle and turns on the brake lights in the back of the vehicle.

True
False

Question 72 ...

How do car manufacturers design their cars to reduce injury to pedestrians?
i have been told that there are new laws but would like a website that either lists them or shows what the designers are doing to reduce injury......

What to do when your in a car accident.?
what to do if your in a car accident in "nowhere" i mean,there are no other cars,there are no houses and theres only the road.
and you have no cellphone,who hited you or you hited has ...

What to if you got in a accident?
If you got in a accident and you have nothing on you,what is the first thing you need to do?...

I was in a car accident and I received the ticket however I'm in therapy, can I sue my own insurance company? ?
Car Accident
Additional Details
I was in a car accident and I received the ticket however I'm in therapy for a herniated disk, can I sue my own insurance company for pain and ...

Hitting wing mirrors?
a friend of mine is panicking coz he hit a wing mirror. there was no real damage but thinks he shouldve dun sumthin about it. should he?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, November 27, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links