Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it illegal to not have your headlights on when its raining during the day?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to not have your headlights on when its raining during the day?

i live in CA, and i never drive with my headlights on whenever its daytime, even if its raining. my friend says its illegal. is it really? IM CONFUSED! ive never been pulled over, so.......

Vince M
Last year, California enacted a new law that requires the headlight be turned on whenever the wipers are running.

UCANTCME
Rating
California law requires headlight use in the rain, even during daytime use....

richard b
i think most states require the use of headlights during the day when rain or snow hits. there are even states that require that you have your headlights on when using your windshield wipers, west virginia is one such state.

eddie
my state requires if you have your windshield wipers on
you must have your lights on

PattyAnn
Rating
Around here they say if you need windshield wipers on, you need lights. They can pull you over if you don't have lights on.
What would be the point? Wouldn't you want to be more visible in pouring down rain?

handsofgold79
Yes It is illegal if you don't have your headlights on during rain! Read your DMV book again! Just cause you never been pulled over for it doesn't make it ok.

DER ALTE FIRZ
Most states require lights on if the wipers are on. Call your state police to make sure about your state.

KC3
I know it is illegal in Illinois not to have them on when it is raining; but that being said I have never heard of anyone complaining about repercussions from law enforcement for the offense. I know that some of the newer models of vehicles come equipped with sensors to automatically turn headlights on during conditions of low light.
This all being said this is probably a law left up to the states. I would have to say that a majority, if not all of them have a law of some type concerning this.

Colin F
I know it is illegal in Maryland, not sure about CA or if its a national thing. google "CA raining headlights laws" or something similar for more info.

ISK8BMORE
-You must turn on your headlights when you are using your windshield wipers.

-When driving you must turn on your headlights from sunset to sunrise.
-You must turn on your headlights at other times when you cannot see persons or vehicles on the highway clearly at a distance of 1,000 feet or less.

-You should not drive with only parking lights on because parking lights denote a parked car.

-Use low beams when approaching or closely following other vehicles. Also use low beams where there are streetlights and in fog.

-Use high beams in open country to see persons or vehicles ahead. Even with high beams, speed should be lower than by day.

-You must use high beams whenever needed to see persons or vehicles ahead of you. Be aware you must:
-Change to low beam at least 500 feet before meeting oncoming vehicles.
-Change to low beam when following a vehicle at a distance of 300 feet or less.

Ed P
For years Greyhound Bus line drive with head lites on 24/7 They cut day time accidents by 23% You must make your self seen by others.Young Drivers Of Canada teaches this.

fiebr2003
its legal

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Cars driving through the green man?
Where would i contact to complain about cars driving through a red light (green man is up for pedestrians). this happens every morning at the same place at least two cars go through the traffic ...

When an emergency vehicle approches, you should stop immediately wherever you are on the road. Is it true?

Driving/mobile phones?
I think the current legislation is reasonable, but why is it wrong to phone, but ok to light up whilst driving?
Playing with fire whilst driving? Now THAT sounds ...

Can you duble buckle if you can not how do you fit 5 people in a 4 seated car?
my sister is coming from california for christmas and we want to bring my ...

Is it legal to hit a car if it's blocking your driveway?
Is this legal or illegal in College Station, Texas? I live in a residential neighborhood and usually when my neighbors have company they park in front of our house. Well a couple of time someones ...

Why is ambulance spelled backwards on the front of all ambulance?

Is there any law about driving with the boot open (when moving furniture for example)?
I need to pick up some bulky furntiure, and won't be able to close the boot so will have to tie it down (and some bits will be protruding). Is this actually legal? Any adivce on safest way to ...

Have you been in a automobile accident before, me yes?

At what minimum speed can an automobile's cruise control be activated?

Smoking at the gas pump???
Is there any possible way to start a fire smoking a cig at a gas pump? Just with the cig? Or sparks from when someone flicks the butt?

I was at the station and a kid was puffing away... I ...

What do you think all women should know about maintenance on their cars?
I have to put together a PowerPoint on "what women should know about maintenance on cars" and I was wondering wht other people felt is necessary. So please tell or give sites ln what you ...

Why do i only have to use one foot when driving?
Ok i am going to turn 16 in like 1 month and when i go back to the states i am getting my license. So my question is why do i have to use only one foot when driving an automatic? will it cause an ...

Car accident, how should I deal with this?
The girl that hit us is at fault. She hired a lawyer, avoid all our calls, we're waiting for the police report. I believe that the officer would put her at fault. Should I still hire a lawyer? I&...

How can I avoid making this driving mistake again?
Today I was parked and there was an empty spot in front of me with cars on either side so I pulled up to get out of the parking lot. But I turned and hit the car to the right's tail light. I ...

Why are Asian car makers better than north American Car makers?

Is side airbag important in a car?
im looking for my first car. i like the matrix a lot but the thing is it doesnt come standard with side airbag i can only buy ...

What is a car company that is noted for its safety?

What about driving and applying makeup?
I know everyone complains about people driving and cell phones, which I consider dangerous. But what about those women who put on make up. I was almost ran over by a woman putting MASCARA on. I was ...

Why do alot of people?
eat in there car?I never did never ...

How do you tell your parents you were invoved in a crash?
How do you tell your parents you were cycling along and a car came out of nowhere and you accidentally hit it, causing damage. When the driver then gets out and starts swearing at you. Who would be ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links