Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it illegal to reverse onto a SIDE road (not a main road) from a driveway?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to reverse onto a SIDE road (not a main road) from a driveway?

I live on the corner of a side road and a main road. My drive is about 10 yrds from the end of the road. The end of the road is the left in this (bad) drawing:

---------------------------
-------- road
--------------, drive ,---

I have always reversed out to the left but kept to the side of the road nearest my house even tho the traffic is flowing the opposite way. The reason for this is that i can see all the way down my road for any cars coming up it and i can reverse out onto the road when it is clear and safe and then i can wait until it is clear on the other side of the road and i can move off safely. I did this exact thing (after having done this for nearly 10yrs) when a car came round the corner at speed (turning to its left) and hit me from behind. I had reversed out, stopped & was in the process of changing into first gear to move off when he took a left and came over the hazard lines in the middle of the road and hit me from behind. Now he says it's my fault
Additional Details
Thanks for your replies guys. The reason I don't reverse into my drive is because if I turn into my road & then position to reverse into my drive there is always someone who will drive right up behind me preventing me from reversing in. Also, there are usually cars coming up my road trying to get onto the main road, so while i'm waiting for them to get onto the main road other cars are trying to get into my road & queues start to build up since some cars can't get out & others can't get into my road. If I just drive in it's easier & safer for me to get in. When I reverse out I can see all the way down my road & I can reverse into the road safely. Even though I would be facing oncoming traffic, the cars coming up my road have plenty of time & space to see me and if i keep close to the kerb, they can pass quite easily. If I had reversed onto the road & was on the left side of the road & then the car hit me from behind i could understand,but he crossed the lines in the middle of the road!

nosdda
Rating
This driver is clearly in the wrong. He was coming too fast and couldn't stop in time to prevent running into you.it is also obvious that he is going to blame you but as he hit you from behind he is to blame for the accident. It is common sense in driving that you corner with care because until you have a full view of the road you are turning into you do not know what is in front of you. He is guilty of driving without due care and attention, and I hope you sue the pants off him.

stomper
no its not, i would reverse into your drive as its safer

capa-de-monty
police say its the driver behind's fault

capcave2002
Rating
if he hit you in the back then it is his fault lack of attention (UK) why do you reverse into a road i lived in the same situation and my wife used to drive the car up the drive late at night i used to turn it round so she could just drive out makes life so much easier

rowdy
Rating
I don't think it's illegal, no. The HC says you shouldn't reverse into a major road (the side road is major to your driveway), so that was technically wrong, and in most cases is asking for trouble.

But the way you describe it, you were stationary when the car came round the corner - and you can't cause a collision when you're not moving. After all, all he had to do was stop, and there'd have been no accident.

charterman
Rating
In a situation like this, I would always reverse into your drive so you drive out.
This way you only have to put the bonnet of the car into the road to see. When you reverse, two thirds of your car are in the road before you can see anything. The highway code in a lot of instances is only a guide.
Despite the fact that you have been doing this for ten years without problem, does not make it right and if you are asking this question, you know it is a safety issue.
It is stupid for any car driver to take a blind corner at speed because you can't see around the bend. I came into the village where I live to find a twit had parked on a blind bend and had I been going faster, I would have hit it.
This is one situation that both of you are fault.

k
It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to reverse in and out of your driveway regardless of the sort of road it is (main or side road).

The other driver was completely at fault - he/she was completely in the wrong, and from what you say was driving without due care and attention - when you are driving you have to be CONSTANTLY viligant as to what is going on left, right, forwards and behind you AND completely slow down when you are going round bends/corners.

Iknowalittle
if you were already out of your driveway and were obviously in his Field of vision sitting there, in the road, He should by law , have had complete control over his vehicle, and should have been paying attention enough to see your car and avoid making that left turn, and hitting your car. He hit you in the rear. So he is at fault.

jivibadexamplemidget
Rating
I don't think it's illegal, no. The HC says you shouldn't reverse into a major road (the side road is major to your driveway), so that was technically wrong, and in most cases is asking for trouble.

But the way you describe it, you were stationary when the car came round the corner - and you can't cause a collision when you're not moving. After all, all he had to do was stop, and there'd have been no accident.

maclaren
was your vehicle stationary at the time if so then you are completely within the law but i think it will be your word against his and could end up both insurers paying out on a knock for knock basis.
pehaps in the future it would be better to reverse into your drive.

TUGBOAT
you live in U.K they always drive up behind you when you want
to back up "reverse"

Robert S
Rating
In the UK the Highway Code is, in most places, advisory. Contravening any advice it gives is not an offence automatically. However, if you contravene advice from it and either cause danger to other road users or, indeed, have an accident, the fact that you ignored advice contained in the HC could be used as evidence against you.

In the US, the code varies state by state.

UCANTCME
YOU ARE ALWAYS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY AND ALL ACCIDENTS AND DAMAGES THAT OCCUR WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING IN REVERSE....ITS THE LAW.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST CALL YOUR LOCAL DMV OFFICE, THEY WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER ANY AND ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS AND AT THE SAME TIME YOU WILL BE GETTING THE CORRECT ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.

d
If you were on reverse gear when the collision happened or reversed fast without looking giving the other driver no time to react, it will be your fault (if the other driver can prove it or you admit it). If you were stationary, then it is the other driver's fault for not keeping a safe distance to stop. Most likely scenario is it will be shared guilt unless one party admits to be in the wrong.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What can not wearing seatbelt effect?
I mean like if we don't wear seatbelts what can happen....

If deaf people are allowed to drive (and they are), then why is it illegal to use headphones while driving?

What speed do you go on a dual carriage way?
I goota go at least 80mph unless i see the bill. sometimes up to 100mph.

why do 60mph when no one else is?...

Vaseline, Lotion, and Baby Oil on a car?
do any of these things do any damage to a car?
Additional Details
do any of these do damage? if so what? and how long does it take for the damage to happen?...

Are s.u.v's useless?
how many people think that suv's are useless as vehicles. these TRUCKS!! use too much gas are dangerous on the roads and most people don't know how to drive them, when to drive them and ...

Why do they call it a sport?The vehicle does all the work?
What is athletic about auto racing? A 90 year old grandma can make a 100 left turns in a day?...

Can anybody tell me why the seat belt law is a good law? i need three reasons why it is a good law!?
i am doin an argumentative paper on why the seat belt law is a good law!!
Additional Details
i know its the law i wanna why it's a GOOD law!!...

Did akon die in a car crash today?

Why were speed limits introduced in USA?

What is the best thing to do, if you are a "potential" victim of road rage?

HGV drivers?
Why do many artic drivers insist on tailgating to the point of stupidity?
I am a hgv driver and I am apauled at what I see for proffesional drivers, bear in mind they can have 20-30tons on the ...

Can a 5ft tall 11 year old who weighs 83 pounds sit in the front of a car?
Please ...

Car wreck PLEASE HELP! what does?
ok I just got a call that my best friends husband(he is ok thank God) just got in a car wreck with MY car & they said he just got t-boned on the drivers side & I REALLY need to know what ...

Roundabouts, lack of signals.?
Do people who do not give the correct signals on roundabouts annoy you....

Should 14 Year Olds be Allowed To Drive?
i need answers supporting why 14 year olds should be able to drive for a class. nothing against 14 year olds driving please
thanks
Additional Details
this is for a class, i need to ...

If we should not drink and drive, why do bars have parking lots?

Has anyone ever had their vehicle brakes fail while driving?
Any stories?...

If my wheelie bin is blown into the road after the binmen have emptied it & left it on the side who is liable?

Child car seat after a crash, is it covered by the insurance?
Myself, my mum and 1 yr old were involved in a crash today. Thankfully all ok except for bruises and aches!! I was just wondering where I stand with replacing the car seat. It was not our fault, a ...

Why should loud music (over 90 decibels ) be illegal in a car?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, October 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links