Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it really necessary to downshift when driving a car? ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it really necessary to downshift when driving a car? ?

I just started driving a manual and I finally went on the main road, not side streets. My dad said just to put the car in neutral and not to worry about downshifting all the time. But I guess that really doesn't hurt the car right?

Jayson
Rating
no it wont hurt the car at all...downshifting when preparing to stop slows down your car so you dont have to brake as much

hello
Rating
it won't hurt the car, but downshifting won't either. the biggest problem is if you do need to do emergency exercises, you have less control if your car is not in gear.

downshifting will wear your clutch, but save your brakes. my clutch didn't wear out for 400k doing that.

bungee
Rating
it doesn't hurt the car, you give up some control if power is needed. be prepared to spend more for your brakes. there is no free ride<

ShowHerMyOhFace
Its like this, you either downshift all the time and burn out your clutch faster, and less use of the brakes.

Or you put it neutral and glide to a stop, using the brakes more and wearing them down faster.

Lose lose situation lol but which is more expensive to fix? I think you know.

UCANTCME
Yes it is important to down shift a car at the correct speeds and putting it in neutral is not only dangerous but in many states it is illegal to do this........it is called "coasting".

Paul
Rating
Your dad is just trying to be helpful while you're learning a manual and have plenty of things to master. After a while, when shifting up and learning which gear to use at different speeds is no longer a problem, you can start getting used to down shifting.

A skilled driver (like me) can down shift WITHOUT causing extra wear on the clutch by adjusting the engine speed to match the vehicle speed before releasing the pedal.

rockbase
Rating
It really doesn't hurt the car as long as your not doing 60mph and drop her into 1st, however you will save gas by placing it in neutral.

Sven &quot;Pimp&quot; Eriksson
you can do it either way but downshifting wears out the clutch faster.

charlie5_7_0
Rating
Downshifting is really only important if you need to be in that rpm range to over come another car. I may downshift if i slowed down coming around a turn. It will wear up your clutch to downshift all of the time. Going into neutral is the best way and just put it into the best gear for your speed if you need to resume acceleration.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When you take your drivers test?

what exactly is downhill parking and how do you do it?

and do they MAKE you parallel park, like can you request not to? and if so will they fail you?

And can you request a ...

Do you know the name of this sign ?
Its a road sign. Yellow rhombus in white rhombus.
Any guesses??

Speed camera flashed when doing under the speed limit?
Yesterday I passed a speed camera in a 30 zone doing 28 (according to my golf's speedo) in the dark however I saw the camera flash once. There were no other cars around at the time. I saw the ...

How much does a car seat cost?
I need to buy a car seat for a toy drive i'm participating in for a child who really needs one- how much do they usually cost and where can I find an affordable, nice one?
Additional D...

I hate suv's not so much because they are guzzlers but.....?
I dont think its fair for people w/ the same type of drivers licences to drive vehicles that weigh so much more than other vehicles. its the physics of it, if a hummer hits a vw beetle, then the ...

Canadains only saftey test?
I'm going to be buying a car soon, a mechanic said that inorder to pass the safety test I would need to fix the rear window (it doest roll down). my question is how can that be a reason for ...

Accident. Ur wrong even when u follow the law?
See far as my topic about the car accident. I do want to respond to the answers. If I felt that he was wrong I wouldn't be posting this or what happened. Aside, all the goodness we do and that ...

What should you do to intersections?
It's a word that has 6 letters. It also contains a U and R. _ _ U _ R_...

California drivers how to make a left turn the correct way when taking a driving test?
ok im going to take the driving test after my 18 birthday im a little over 17in a half i got my permit
so yeh heres the question
when making a left turn on a green left arrow you have the ...

Question about car accident?
can a person return days later after claiming no damage from a car accident and say that they do have damage?...

Help help with driving question!(nervous)?
Ok I am 17 and almost 18 , like this month
I got my learner's permit in feburary but I haven't practice driving.
I am like so scared to start.plus I haven't done driver'...

How dangerous is a middle rear seat with only a lap belt -- no shoulder strap -- for kids 50lbs or more?

What are the measurements for the parallel parking space in Texas?
Also, what should I expect when taking the Texas driving test?...

How old does a child have to be to sit in the front of a car?

Does discovering a flat on your car that has been knifed make anyone else paranoid out there?
I found the flat on my car and had to get the spare on it. When I took the tire to the garage they said it looked like someone had knifed it. Then when I came home I found two other neighbors in my ...

Why did it become mandatory to wear a seat belt?

Is a 2005 jeep liberty a good car? is it safe and reliable ?

Four wheeler accident: injured?
Lower stomach. hit ground really hard. road rash/ gash in side/lower stomach. feel sick, not wanting to eat. when i do eat it makes me feel sick. what's wrong???...

What effect would having sensors in a car that warn the driver if they were within 1.2m of an object while rev?

What are some good and bad points if every car sold had safety features? Such as sensors?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links