Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it safe to have two different model tires on the front or rear of your car ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it safe to have two different model tires on the front or rear of your car ?

gravel128
Rating
As long as they're the same size.

helpful bob
Rating
To me the best results are having 4 the same tires on any avg car but if you have to then be use at least the two front tires match each other and the two backs match each other and all the tires are the same exact size. But different tire treads etc affect the over haul even traction and even the mileage.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

kneedeepkz650
Rating
different models no-different sizes yes.

Hunter H
as long as the front are the same and the back are the same, then yes but if you've got 3 or more different brands/sizes then its unsafe

nookie181
yes , as long as you have the correct `tyre` (as in width , height , ply and side-wall/pressure rating )on the same Locations.
ie: 2 of the same on front wheels and 2 of the same on rear wheels.

Logically , it is preferred to have ALL of the tyres being the same. = Safety.
but 3 or more different types of tyres IS Dangerous and Il-legal.
+ Insurance won`t pay in the event of an Accident.

zampa_cotj
Rating
Yes you can have Different tires on the front and back - but DO NOT MIX the tread from side to side that can cause some issues -- I live in NH and we get some mean winters so I used to put some mean treadded tires on either the front or rear depending on the drive.

ultimateredneck93
Rating
yes as long as they are the same size and in good condition

G
Rating
Yes. Most tire shops suggest putting the tires with the most tread on the rear of the car in the winter (even on a front-drive car) to prevent fishtailing in the snow/ice/heavy rain. If all 4 tires are pretty close in wear or it's summer etc., just rotate them as a normal set of tires to get even wear out of all of them.

Back in the days of bias-belted tires, it wasn't safe to have one axle have radials and the other axle have bias-belted tires (it was a handling nightmare), but today's passenger car tires are all radials so you'll be fine.

Richard S
Rating
On every tire, there is a DOT number and a rating. If you mix tires, these ratings must match or you will experience a difference in handling. A wear rating of C mixed with a rating of A= problem. Load range of 900lb on one tire and 1050 on the other. These are the issues at hand In an emergency, you can make due. Imagine a panic stop at 65mph and you have mixed wear and traction ratings on the front tires. Do you think that you will stop in a straight line? As long as you keep the tires in the front the same and the tires in the rear the same you should be just fine.

UCANTCME
Rating
Yes it is just as long as they are the same size, see below.............

Goodyear P205/65R15

BF Goodrich P205/65R15

kyle t
it is safe as long as the front and the back are the smae pattern. front2 same. back2 same

marvin A
purchase a Haynes manual for your car. It will walk you thru it

bacacc6725
This is not recommened. Talk to a tire man at Walmart or Sam's club or somewhere else.I think this is dangerous at high speeds.

koma
Rating
No, you need same kind with same tread design or you can have handeling issues

friedach
it's illegal except as above.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you have any advice for driving in icy / snowy conditions?

Why don't taxi drivers and Bus drivers ware seat belts?

Driving test- what happens when you give right of way but the other person doesn't go?
This happened in my test today. The other car had right of way, no question, but they stopped and did not move for what felt like an eternity until I finally decided to go.

It's ...

Can you settle this debate? My bf says all cars have the same "width wheel on axel" for safety..I disagree.
How can the Hummer have the same width "wheel on axel" as say a Liberty...??...

Turning left over a double yellow line. causing a car accident? who is at fault?
if the car in front of you is making a left hand turn over a solid double yellow line. also while crossing that double yellow line they cross turning lanes going the opposite way. are they at fault ...

Why are truckers so weird?
I have been literally chased and harrassed by these guys on the freeway. Sometimes to the point where I have to go 90 mph or more to get away from them and have sometimes almost had to call the cops....

Are men more likely to show off (especially when driving)?
Is this true?...

Am I good to drive today?
Hi everyone, sorry if this seems silly or paranoid, but I was drinking last night (one glass of rose and 4 vodka shots) and was wondering if I'm safe to drive today? I'm a first time driver ...

Seat belts - who's in trouble?
If a driver/owner of a car uses his/her seatbelt and a passenger in the back seat does not use a seatbelt, who's in trouble if stopped by police - the driver/owner?, the back seat passenger?, or ...

Can i train to be a vihicle machanic without a driver`s licence?

Best advice for staying alert on a long drive?
I have to drive for a total of 8 hours. What's the best advice for staying awake? My only planned break is midway through; and I can't take a longer break as there is a storm coming, and I...

Who is dumber - the person driving without headlights in a snow storm or?
Who is dumber - the person driving without headlights in a snow storm or the person with their headlights on, but they are useless because the driver did not clear the snow off of them?...

Do you think it's safe to fly five years after 9/11? (Inside the US)?

Additional Details
I'm meaning 9/11/06, that exact date....

Can a windshield shatter all on its own, if yes why?
we washed the pickup earlier in the day, then it rained, after the rain we went for a spin, after that we went back home and parked the vehicle, while we are sitting in the house about 15 minutes ...

Car hit from behind...?
i was driving home,i went thru the plaza for shortcut, sum guy was coming out of the fastfood parkin space to my right, and it seemed like he wanted to go first but i went in front of him, so as i ...

To those who don't turn on your headlights?
Despite the fact that it's 11 a.m., it's a little dark and dreary out and starting to rain(here in PA it's the law that you must turn your headlights on when you have your wipers on). ...

While driving, is it bad to listen to music using headphones/earphones?
Instead of the radio. For instance, if I'm on a long trip, I can listen to my mp3 player and (unlike radio) I know and like all the songs, and (unlike cds) I have a lot of music so I don't ...

Right of way Rule in a 4 way stop. who has the right of way, car going straight or turning left?
Scenario is: two cars car A and car B come at the same time making a right angle.
one car,car A is going from SOUTH to WEST making a left turn AND car B is going straight from WEST to EAST. Who ...

Can "car seats" go in the front seat if the is no airbag?

Are you allowed to drive on any road without wearing a safety belt?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links