Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is it safe to sleep in a running parked car with the heat on as long as the windows are cracked open?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it safe to sleep in a running parked car with the heat on as long as the windows are cracked open?

My guy drives long distances in our van and sometimes will stop in a rest area do this. While I don't want him driving tired this scares me so much. He say's as long as the windows are cracked it's ok. I worry about carbon monoxide poisoning. Am I just being a worry-wort?

don r
CO can kill you by asphyxiation. It takes the place of 02 in your blood. You go to sleep and never wake up. Very peaceful. It can accumulate around the car and come in the window as vell as vents. Get a couple of blankets. There are even 12 volt electric blankets. Make sure you have enough electrical power to do the job- maybe an extra battery. I saw in the papers today where 3 women died doing that very thing, near Nevada. Snow surrounded the car and allowed the CO to build up. It's in today's San Francisco Chronicle.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/17/BAN414PI9I.DTL&hw=women+found+dead+in+car&sn=001&sc=1000

shamoose
Rating
IF HE'S THAT TIRED FIND A CHEAP HOTEL OR MOTEL !

betotron don
Rating
keep the windows open to the downwind side

Wanderer
I would never do this - exhaust fumes can enter the interior through the open window - besides it is illegal now to idle your car for that long.

UCANTCME
No it is not safe at all.

DP660
Rating
yes you are. It is perfectly safe. No Exhaust should be getting in the cabin. If it is, then you need to get it fixed. But, if he cracks the windows , that is fine too. Just tell him not to run a hose from the exhaust to the cabin. Unless he wants to of course.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can a Car pass inspection as a School Bus Transportation?
My nephew gets picked up by a bus company every morning for private school. The bus is a Mini Van that has been passed by the stated for a school bus. This morning the bus driver said that he wanted ...

What feature(s) do you think should be added to a vehicle?
After reading Jim Simnick's question about what feature did people think was the most important "must have" feature, I came up with this question since I feel it would be nice to have ...

Why don't bus companies have to report bus accidents?
I run a safer bus campaign, saferschoolbuses.co.uk, and am amazed that bus companies do not have to report accidents. There are no real statistics in the country and no details, even the press ...

When making a right turn?
do you stay in your lane or can you go to the other lane?
Additional Details
I know that when you make left turn you stay in your lane, unless if theres one turning left. you can get in ...

Without a sleeper, can i reset my hours of duty "off duty waiting at wellsite" for the next shift?
Oilfield exemptions for CMV. If I run out of hours on a wellsite can my employer expect me to get my 10 hrs off duty by leaving me at the wellsite to claim "off duty, waiting at wellsite" ...

Can you legally park overnight on a public street with no street signs?
I'm going out of town for a few weeks and would like to park at a neighborhood street near the airport and afraid that the residents have the authority to legally tow my car or have an officer ...

Calming Nerves Whilst Taking A Driving Test?
Ive just taken my driving test for the 6th time and failed, im a good driver but whenever a examiner comes into the car i just fall apart. this time i decided it mite be a good idea to have my ...

Why do bridges and overpasses freeze easier than regular roads?
it just snowed and iced here in H...

What percent of motorcyclists crash?

When on ice, is it better to be in a high gear or low gear?
If I'm going, lets say, 35mph I can be in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear without straining the engine too much. I drive a 2000 civic si and it is geared pretty low. My wife wants to know how to drive ...

What is the safe limit?
hi
what is the same DUI limit in CA, before you get arrested for DUI...

How does it feels after an accident? and when the opposite person is hurt badly by ur vehicle?

What ruins studded tires?? ?
Peeling out in the snow? Would that rip out the studs easily?
If the tires spin on wet pavement? If I take a turn to fast?

What type of abuse can studded tires take before they get ...

What happen when you have a bump with the car and you say one thing and they say another ?

Is it illegal to back out of your laneway?
In some regions, it is! You have to back into your driveway, and leave the driveway in only forward gears. Is this the bylaw in your town? Any guess as to why this law exists at all?...

Where are some stores that sell ramps? My grandmother is in a wheelchair and she needs a ramp.?
I'm leaving to go back to Michigan and she lives in TN. I know she's going to need help, but she'll be okay as long as she gets a ramp....

What does it call the small light on a helmet?
I don't know if there is a name for the light on a helmet that those coal miners wear.

It's not a searchlight.....I would appreciate if you know the name. (well, if there is any)...

SHOULD PROHIBITING CALLULAR PHONES WHILE DRIVING GOOD? I NEED ATLEAST 4 POINTS ON WHY ITS A GOOD IDEA!!!THANX?
BANNING CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING!!!!!!!...

Can a nine year old sit in front passenger seat of car in texas?

Anyone Make a Racing Seat you dont have to cut a hole in for the center strap between your legs?
I cant find a racing seat with a precut hole in the front seat for the strap of the racing harness. Anyone help?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links