Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Is there a legal distance to be left either side of a driveway when parking ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is there a legal distance to be left either side of a driveway when parking ?

mamgu.......
Rating
if its your driveway no.

Charlene
Rating
read the parking signs or the council will zap you

The Tank
God! I wish the yanks wouldn't answer on the UK and Ireland Only site. They don't half confuse the issue.

There's no legal minimum distance but you must not obstruct the access and egress to and from the driveway. This means that you shouldn't park so close to the gateposts that the user doesn't have save visibility of the 'main' road and so that they don't have to make a dangerous manouver to negotiate their way past you.

racerkeith
courtesy dictates that you park at least no futher forward of the start of the curves portion of the curb. If there is no curb, then the owner of the driveway should be able to safely enter and leave the driveway without obstruction.

Bardic
Not in the UK. Unless there's an "official" dropped kerb marked by a line on the road surface, in which case just don't overlap the line.

logicalgal
No vehicle may be parked within 5 feet of any entrance to a driveway, back lane or parking lot. (in Canada)

edward9382
The Highway Code rule 217. Do Not park in front of an entrance to a property.

FRANK W
Rating
no ! just dont block in

gremlingts
If you're the driveway owner, and people are encroaching into the open area, the best way to stop it is to call the Bobbies ( or police ) to see if they'll tow the offending car away. You could also place signs at the ends of your driveway, stating any car caught encroaching or blocking the entrance will be towed away at owner expense.
The PERSONAL approach would be to let the air out of a tire, and leave a note for them - don't block the driveway, moron! As always, try the legal approach first. If that doesn't work, then as far as I'm concerned, the offending parker deserves what he or she has coming to them.

bostonianinmo
Yes. Typically it's either 3' or 5'. Check local ordinances but you'll almost always be safe at 5'.

scd
There is not a legal distance on your driveway, its private property. There is a safe 3 foot distance for safety.

vixen0babs
as long as you are not blocking a sidewalk, there is no law, it is private property, they aren't going to ticket you if your tire is on your lawn.

bob shark
In most places. if you are parking with the driveway in front of you and you are parking on the street it is 15 ft. This is to give traffic a sight of cars backing out of driveway, and to see kids etc.

The other side of the driveway does not have this distance restraint

oklatom
Rating
Yes, usually. Of course each state and/or city or county within the state may have different rules, and you didn't mention where you are.

If by any chance you live in Peoria Illinois: "Within five feet of either side of any driveway or alley as measured from the side of the driveway or alley at the front property line."

Your mileage may vary.

Sean F
Rating
If there is a dropped kerb then as long as you are not touching on this, if there is no dropped kerb then you can park across it as it is an illegal driveway.

lynette
I live on a very narrow street. My neighbors that have moved in opposite own a taxi firm. The bus they own is constantly parked as close as, or if not ova my dropped curb, and also their family members park right up to the opposite edge of the drive as well. But I am constitley knocking and bumping my tyres on the kerb. Which results in knocking the air out of my tyres all the time. Thus nothing doing any good 4 my blood preasure. It takes me 3 times as long to get my car in and out of my drive. I just want to know if it's legal to park so close to a driveway.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When should i stop driving if at all?
I am 26 wks pregnant when should I stop driving or should I stop at all?...

Does it make you mad when.....?
people speed in work zones?
It makes me so mad when I'm going the speed limit posted in a work zone and people fly around me or tailgate. It's the speed limit! How would they feel if ...

What kind of car is good for a first time driver?
My dad is going to buy my twin brother and I a car like he has done for all his other children when they turn 16. We have to make it last through college or buy it from him if we don't go to ...

Stick shift driving: stopping and going question?
Lets say you're in 4th gear and you have a red light coming up. let's also assume that you through the car into neutral and came to a complete stop. The proper thing to do would be to start ...

Why aren't there seat belts on public buses?

On a motorway why when driving do you need to show your hazards?

Untraced driver failed to stop after road traffic accident?
My husband was involved in a road traffic accident last when a HGV hit him but failed to stop. A witness managed to get the registration number but only the first part. Could this driver still be ...

How long do you have to report a road traffic accident? Details were exchanged at the scene?

Can you pull an empty U-haul trailer on the interstate?
I have someone coming to move me, but we need to take the moving trailer on the interstate empty. (pulling it behind a van) The U-haul guy said he didnt "recommend" it. But isnt that what ...

Why the glass of vehicles always bresaks into small pieces rather than big pieces.?

This on is a bit tricky...?
If the black box flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn't the whole airplane made out of the stuff?...

How do I avoid trouble with driving?
Lately, I have been making a lot of mistakes with my driving, and parking, from leaving head lights on, without knowing, to receiving quite a few parking fines, and bumping other cars. I am afraid I ...

Are retread tires safe to use or should i keep well clear of them??

How many bridges are structurally deficient in the USA?
As stated by the U.S. Department of Transportation's inspector general last year criticized the Federal Highway Administration's oversight of interstate bridges, saying investigators found ...

Do you ever drive fast to fight boredom?
I was watching a recent rerun of topgear, and stephen fry said...something like "Mabey my eratic driving is just to keep me on edge all the time to fight boredom"

Do you ever do ...

Im terrified of driving help!!!?
i just drove for the first time ever in my mom's mini van and well i didnt know where anything was and when i turned on the street i couldnt turn and then i kept going over the lane and i stunk ...

Is DWI and DUI the same thing?

Do you like cops?
i reckon they cool,maybe,what about you?...

If I accidentally spilled motor oil on the HOT parts of my car's engine when adding oil, is it a fire hazard?
Probably not important, but it is a 97' Pontiac Sunfire and oil light comes on sometimes as I round a turn. It needs a quart every three weeks, but there is no smoke nor is there a oil puddle ...

Has anyone experienced Road Rage before?
Today my family and i was drinving on the highway ,and I guess my daughter wasnt driving fast enough ,so he passed her and flipped her off and said a few choice words ,then he sped at 80 miles a hour,...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links