Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Law about only driving with your right foot?
Find answers to your legal question.

Law about only driving with your right foot?

ok, i've been curious is there a law in place that states (while driving an automatic) that you can only use your right foot for both the gas and break pedal? i'm curious because my girlfriend is taking her drivers test soon and she uses both feet and we're not sure if she's gonna get docked down or anything. my dad taught me to use both feet and hassled me if i ever used my left foot. i can understand how it could be dangerous, but i really wanna know if it's a law or just something that we've all gone by

thud.fan
Rating
Although there is no specific law against simultaneously using the left foot on the brake and the right on the gas, it is inherently dangerous. I have failed license applicants for this very reason. I felt very uncomfortable. There are so many situations to be looked at and reacted to without having to decide which foot to use to step on a pedal and let up on the other ... or the other way around.

All the best

Pat S
Rating
How could a law like that possibly be enforced? Can a cop, from outside of your vehicle, tell which foot you're using? It's crazy.

Regardless, the proper way to drive an automatic is with your right foot only. Braking with your left foot is a bad habit to get into. Your friend will probably get deductions for doing it. The person administering the test will certainly be able to spot it.

Dr. Strangelove
Rating
There's no law saying you have to drive with only one foot. Using your left foot to brake can lead to riding with that foot on the brake pedal, which is a bad habit to have since it wears out your brakes.

jrafael22c
Rating
Don't know about any laws on that respect. However, using the left foot to brake is a common occurrence in auto racing (most especially in rallying) and is usually associated with way above average car control.
When bad or inexperienced drivers use the left foot to brake the most common problem is they leave the foot on the brake, thus constantly using the brakes and creating premature brake wear.
Other than that, and the fact they may have their brake lights on all the time annoying dirvers in other cars, there is no issue with using your left foot to brake in an automatic car.

Ryan
Rating
No, its not a law that makes you drive only with your right foot. However, it would be wiser to only use your right foot for safety reasons, mainly so you don't get in a habit of pushing down on the gas and brake pedals at the same time.

Scott H
It's not a law, it's common sense. Teach your girlfriend to drive properly before she kills someone.

J-Man
It's all personal preference on that respect. No laws relating to it that I know of. Personally I drive my auto with my right foot. I've tried to do two before just to get the fell for it...it didn't work so well. In addition, like everyone above has said, it is easier to get tangled up in the pedals and my put extra wear on your breaks. I do not think they could make two footed driving an illegal act because they tell you to gently press the break while accelerating to dry your breaks after driving through puddles.

dirtytricksracing@sbcglobal.net
Rating
It use to be a law because using two feet is very dangerous.

Joy
Rating
If there was a law for driving with only one foot I would have a million tickets! I had a car that to keep it running when stopped, I had to have one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. It's just safer to drive with only one foot because your left foot can get tangled up with your right foot. In addition, if the car does not have something wrong with it like mine did, you may end up riding the brakes and causing undue wear on the braking system.

I do think my having to drive two footed in that car made it easier for me to drive a standard. (That was my next car.)

UCANTCME
There is no law concerning this it is just safer to use one one "your right foot".........safety reasons and less confusion.

pink romanticist
it really is a law...at least where i live...ive taken my drivers classes and ive asked about that...i was told to never use your left foot unless its an absolute emergency...i think its sometimes stupid...but, use your right foot...it can sometimes be so much easier...!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I was in an auto accident without insurance. What am I facing?
I was in a car accident yesterday. I live in California. I had no insurance at the time, although I was unaware that my girlfriend had not sent in my quarterly paryment and was actually driving ...

Is there a self parking car that has ALL four of its wheels turn, to slide into the parking space sideways?
If so, is there a video for proof? I thought I saw a TV show on the car a while ago......

What is a conditional license? I am about to have my license suspended for 3 speeding tickets in 18 mos?
but i still need to be able to go to/from work. I live in ny state....

What is the speed limit in ?
I live in Incline Village, NV and was pulled over for speeding at 37 MPH on an unmarked road. What is the speed limit on an unmarked road?...

I dropped my motorcycle helmet. Is it still safe to wear?
Whilst walking by the road with my helmet by my side, I dropped it onto the concrete. IS it still safe to wear?...

For research I need to find info on any pedestrian fatalities near atlanta rd in marietta ga prior to 1986?

Parking break all the time?
hey there.....i drive a chevy silverado, and live in a hilly area. i always use parking beak at an incline or decline, but i've noticed some people (usually women) leave their parking break on ...

Ca you get in trouble for accidentally hitting a goose??
i was driving on the garden state parkway and out of nowhere a flock of geese landed in the middle of the highway. i tried stopping but i was going at least 55 mph and they were so close that it was ...

What does "drive on the shoulder to pass a car" mean?

Additional Details
What is the shoulder?...

What should I put on my 'safe car' checklist?
I've been working up to getting my 1993 Geo Storm into perfect condition, but it still has a very, very long way. At this point, its so far from perfect the cosmetics of the whole thing are not ...

Sun is too bright, cant see signal lights.?
Today I stopped at a protected left turn signal, but the sun was right above it. It was impossible to see whether the signal was green or red, the sun was way too bright. I basically sat there not ...

Parallel Parking?!?!?!?
While parallel parking to the right can you also use your right side rear view mirror in the test or will the fail you for that i keep hitting the curb and i think that if i use my side mirror as ...

Is it legal to have an empty container of alcohol in your car? I live in FL?

What transport arrangements can be made to ensure safety after a party?

How can I stay fit when I am in a wheel-chair?
I can't walk at all....

Stopping and going on steep hills?
I drive a car with automatic transmission.

I was wondering how to go about stopping and going at a streetlight when it is placed on a steep hill?

Do I depress the parking brake ...

Steel vs. Plastic: Which is Safer? (Car Wise)?
My sister and I have been having a major debate. She's about to get her liscense very soon and she thinks that she's gonna get a car right off the bat (which I highly doubt) and she wants ...

Driving through a Tropical Storm (Fay)?
I am planning on driving up north to Tallahassee from Fort Lauderdale for Fall semester. I have checked the forecast and it seems that Tropical Storm fay is changing directions and heading West. I ...

Is it legal to ride in a 5th wheel trailer?
I am travel for 9 hours in a full truck. I was wondering if it is legal to ride in the 5th wheel trailer we are towing. We are not crossing any country borders, but we are crossing a provincial ...

One car travels at an average speed of 48 miles per hour.A slower car travels an average speed of 36 miles. ?

How many more miles per hour does the faster car travel than the slower car?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links