Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

My neice was in an auto accident, visible injuries, police didnt call EMT, put her in back seat..is this right
Find answers to your legal question.

My neice was in an auto accident, visible injuries, police didnt call EMT, put her in back seat..is this right

The airbag was deployed, which cause injuries to her face, neck, mouth, nose and arms. She was bleeding from several areas and the police did not call ambulance. They asked her (age 17..first ever accident) if she wanted medical and she just nodded no. Shouldnt they call regardless? The ER nurses and dr's went ballistic. She was in shock with lots of blood oozing from her nose and mouth. Her parents drove her to the hospital. Anyone know what should have happened here? NO drugs or alcohol was involved and they knew that..they put her in the back seat of the cop car and told her to shut up (she was obviously crying and upset) This happened in Winnebago Illinois
Additional Details
my brother was called to the scene and found his daughter in the back seat of the cop car, bleeding and crying uncontrollably. The cop told him to shut up when he asked why she was in the car and no EMT. He got upset and called the cop a naughty name and the cop told him if he didn't leave or shut up he would be tassed. Several witness to the fact that my bro did not do anything other then call the cop a p@#@ for not letting him talk to his daughter. When the cops arrived, she was laying on the ground next to the car and they yanked her up my her arms and pushed her into the cop car by her arm, shoulder and head. The next day, she had finger bruises on her upper arm (and you can see finger prints) which we took pics of.

just me
Rating
in a wreck like this, the ambulance should have came and taken her to the hospital.. i would..
even though i should not be saying this, report all of this , the only way she should have been taken in the cop car (she was under the influence)
bleeding and such, she should have received proper medical care. c-spine and all...
when they yanked her up from the wreck this could have caused More damage///

miss medic
Unless the vehicle was in imminent danger (fire, explosion, or risk of being in a secondary collision), they should have left her in the vehicle, and called for EMS....unfortunately, this happens ALOT. Also, police do not like to call EMS for minors (16/17 year olds that are driving alone) as they can NOT sign them selves off of an ambulance report if they do not want to go to the hospital without waiting for a parent, which the cops get frustrated about "babysitting...." as they put it, but, since the car was NOT drivable....air bags deployed, they would have had to wait with her anyhow.

If she has significant injuries, she may be able to pursue actions against the police department, at least to open their eyes to what they are doing is incorrect, but, I do not think you will actually get anything monetary from it.

I hope that your neice is ok, but, again, this happens way too many times.

With your additional info, I would DEFINITELY suggest your (brother was it---the father of your neice) contact some legal representative...a GOOD lawyer....not just anyone out of the book. He may need to tell his story to a few first to find one that he likes. Not all lawyers are the same, some get a bad rep for a reason and deserve it, but, some the bad rep of others carry over onto them...like calling them all ambulance chasers.

Your daughter and her dad were not dealt with properly by the police on this scene, but, her dad should not have sworn at them...as THEY are protected by laws from being sworn at. Since your daughter has visible bruising from their rough handling, it could be further reason to contact a lawyer, and that they tried to keep the father from requesting that his daughter get seen by medical technicians as well.

koda
Rating
A big NO NO! Since there was visible signs of injury, the cops should have def called EMT. There will or should be an investigation reguarding thiss matter.

Foot in mouth
No, that's not right. EMT should have definatley been called....she was probably in shock and not even aware of her own injuries. Hopefully she's not suffered any permanent injuries due to lack of speedy medical intervention. EMT is usually summoned by default in an accident....I have no idea what went wrong in this instance.

UCANTCME
Yes the police should have called the EMT but your daughter told them no but at the same time she was in shock and they should have overrode her decision and called.

Ginny M
WOW that sounds like a lawsuit in the making. I was in a fender bender and just scratched my arm and they called me an EMT. It is their duty to protect. I would most def. see about talking to a lawyer she is underage therefore has no say so.

kenbgray
I would get hold of a lawyer and tell him what happened. There is something very wrong with the way she was treated.

StanS
The police have some kind of protocol for this kind of stuff. I've had a couple of relatively small accidents, and they ask if I want them to call an ambulance.

They have some kind of grading system. Answer this question coherently and act such and such and they can let you sit for a few minutes and if in a while you're able to answer a couple others they don't have to call an ambulance.

Some people want the ambulance right away, and aren't concerned with the cost (here you will be billed for it - and it's expensive).

Just because someone is bleeding doesn't mean they need an ambulance. Even if they're in shock. Air bags going off can cause more problems (and more damages) than the accident that caused them to go off.

Been there, done that.

Hope she's feeling better.

Missy23
Yes, her parents should file a complaint with the dept. and request an investigation. They could have killed her. I am sorry.

Isaac F
Rating
Ok I will never go to Winnebago Il then!!!

Even if your loved one WAS on drugs or driving drunk, she is still entitled to EMS!! Hell you prolly pay taxes on your local station. (dont know if you live in a township or burrough)

I would file a compliant and get statments from the doctors on her condition that day. I would consult a lawyer as well.

F*ck the POLICE!!!

Pedro S
Rating
right? maybe not but everything in life is a judgment call...I would have called EMT 1 because she was under age 2 because in a airbag accident you can have neck and internal injuries....talk to a lawyer but its almost impossible to sue unless she ended up crippled..

Lover not a Fighter
Rating
>> She was in shock with lots of blood oozing from her nose and mouth. Her parents drove her to the hospital. Anyone know what should have happened here? NO drugs or alcohol was involved and they knew that..they put her in the back seat of the cop car and told her to shut up (she was obviously crying and upset) This happened in Winnebago Illinois

Unbelievable!! At least go see a lawyer and file a lawsuit. Even if you dismiss it later, that will teach them a lesson (a good scare).

good Luck...

Whatswrongwiththeworld?
Rating
NOPE!, they asked if she wanted medical attention, she indicated "NO" by nodding. If they would have called an EMT and the EMT would have done anything after she refused treatment, they would have all been liable and sued. You have your lazy sue crazy liberals to thank for this one. The police officers were 100% right!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should i report this car?
As i was crossin the road this morning, a taxi nearly hit me, and it was not my fault, should i report it or ignore it? I got his license number just in case
Additional Details
the ...

People who use mobiles whilst driving??
Despite this being illegal for quite some time now, I still see many people using their phones whilst driving. In my experience, the main offenders fall into the following categories and in this ...

Does pressing the "pedestrian" button at TRAFFIC lights really make any difference? I don't think it does.
I think traffic lights follow a sequence even if you press the button. - at least it appears so in Navan, Co Meath. I think it is a type of "Placebo" appearing to give you a choice. The ...

When your car starts to skid, are you supposed to steer into or out of the skid?

Do you mind driving on the snow and ice?
Do you hate driving on snowy and icy road, or doesn't it bother you much? I'm from Pennsylvania and I'm not bothered by the snow as much as the ice....

Advice/Encouragement for first time drivers?
1. For someone just learning to drive
2. Tips to make the learning process more relaxed or go smoother.
3. What have you learned as an experienced driver that you want to pass on to a ...

School Zone......25mph?
I know the sign says "25MPH When Children Are Present"

So does that mean the 25mph speed limit only applies if you can see children?

When is it ok to drive through a ...

Is it legal for a car dealer to sell someone a vehicle with the ABS and Brake light indicators on in the dash.

What bad mistakes did you make while learning to drive? I did awful today?
I get so nervous driving I sometimes think I should give up, I am a very anxious person and have always been, and I know driving and nervousness do not go along.Today I totally screwed up, I used the ...

Is my Tom Tom Sat Nav more accurate than speedometers?
I have used this in two different vans. In both cases it records a speed 10% under the speedos of each van. Which should I believe.
Additional Details
Well widely varying opinions. I ...

I'm nervous to drive on the highway alone for 3hours
I don't want to miss my exit, get lost, etc....

is everyone nervous their first time?
(I'm visiting my sister)...

The law says you must were a seat belt for cars hgv etc but what about motor bikes .?
are you or a passenger with you on the bike suffer injury without a seatbelt . less chance if some kin of seat belt was fitted to motorbike....

Why can't we use handphone at gas station? will it really explode?

Are farmers obliged to clean the public roads near farms for safety reasons.?
I am aware they have work to be done,At the moment it is raining here and they are carrying loads of mud on to the road making it treacherous for drivers not familiar with the area.Or do you think ...

Why do cats always wait for my car to approach before running out in front of it?
Why can't they just hang fire until I've passed?
Additional Details
It doesn't stop there..... a pigeon committed suicide in front of my car a few months back. It just ...

Why don't people use their turn signals when making a turn?
Is there anybody else seeing that a lot of people do not use their turn signals. is that because when you buy a car these days you have to pay extra for them or are they still standard equipment on ...

I flipped my car 2 to 3 times, hit a pine tree and my air bags didn't deploy do i seek legal help?

What is your opinion on teens and being cell phones while driving?
do you think teens should be on the phone while in the car? i say no but whats your opinion explain....

I Recieved a repair ticket for my windsheild..............?
which has a tiny crack on it and I was just wondering if I have to Mail it in like the officer told me to do when I fix it. I have not mailed it in because I lost it ,what should I do? I never had ...

I was stopped at a stop sign and i kinda hit the brakes a lil hard and a car hit me from the back..?
is it my fault????...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links