Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Should Horses be allowed on the roads?
Find answers to your legal question.

Should Horses be allowed on the roads?

Earlier on, my family and I was in the car travelling down a busy road of which has an awful round about at the end of it. As we were heading towards the round about we noticed two women ( lets say mid-30's to early 40s) on their horses riding down this main road. As it is a saturday the road is rather busy, although the cars were going at the speed they should of done to suit the horses, the horses started to panic and one actually had a fit and fell on to a car and the lady fell off and was obviously hurt. However, the horse was roaming its way back up the road and the two women were running after it.

Now, I am not saying that horses shouldn't be allowed to be out of their stable but maybe there should be a new law in England to oppose horses on main roads as it causes unneeded danger to people and the horses of whom are on the roads. Hope I am making sense, please could you tell me your views on this matter.

Jacko
Rating
a great big massive NO ! its not the horses I object to , its not their fault - just the snooty owners who think they have the god given right to put thrse beautiful creatures in danger .

sunshiney smles :)
I have a horse and these two women where very irresponsible.
Yes, I do quite enjoy taking my horse on a hack down the road- but always a country lane, never something with a roundabout or multiple lanes. I am quite upset know that I know this, because it is irresponsible owners like this, are the ones who are capable for damaging all horse owners enjoyment.

cyclebritain
Rating
No, they shouldnt be allowed - I am a pro cyclist, and when im out training, they allways get freaked out when i come past - its so annoying 'cus they start chasing me down the road! lol !

dave
Rating
YES,,,

Just as soon as they pay road tax have appropriate insurance and clean up after themselves!

Until then NO!

jason c
No they should not, I have seen very young girls riding horses on public roads with almost no regard for the many cars that are driving around them.
Ja.

gardener42
Rating
There is no reason why they shouldn't use the roads. Even here in the country where I live they sometimes need to use the roads to access bridleways etc. I agree they shouldn't be allowed to use main roads. It sounds like these ladies were pretty foolish if not irresponsible riding on such a busy road especially as it seems one of the horses couldn't cope with cars. That said, the vast majority of riders I encounter are very responsible on the roads. If they aren't then as your story shows they and/or their horses get hurt.

Marcus
You have to be 16 to apply for a provisional vehicle license, but the British Horse Society is prepared to teach road safety to a 12 year old. You can't expect a 12 year old to recover a spooked horse on a public road and you can't expect the public or even the police to be able to help.

There is a code of conduct, but a formal test would be in the interests of all parties and the horse should have some form of road certification.

My opinion only.

Crazy Larry
On main highways, NO! On any other road, YES!

Our road system was originally designated for horses and carriages and were in use by them long before there was motorized traffic. As a motorist I do not have a problem with horses or horse drawn vehicles on our roads. I used to live near a Mennonite Community and I do not ever recall an accident that could be directly contributed to their horse transportation. There were incidents, however, that were the result of ignorant motorists practising road rage on these people.

Bewildered
Rating
Horses should be on the side of the road(shoulder)cars have to give them space and slow down here in New Hampshire.U.S.A.No horn honking ,arm waving, or loud noises of any kind.Thanks for the two points

David P
Of course horses should be allowed on the road.

They were there first.

You, as the driver/rider of a vehicle have the responsiblity to treat all other road users with the respect they deserve.

As for the cyclist, you need to slow down for horses too.

Next you will be saying that pedestrians, cyclists, agricultural vehicles, or any slow moving machinery shouldn't be allowed.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What car accident would have happened...?
My friend was driving on bridge(medium speed) and he wanted to change the line. He got closer to other car that he didn't see when I exclaimed "there's other car!" and he moved ...

HELP. need some tips for keeping cool on my driving test?

Booster seat law will cause more traffic=more accidents cos parents wont be able to take friends kids home?
I did actually notice more cars on the road today. Because of differents heights in children parents would have to cater for others children too so now they'll all take their own. what do you ...

Road rage...?
Ever been a victim? What happened?...

What are the name of the lifesized male dolls women put in their passanger seats for safety?
its like a lifesized person who is clothed and you stick him in your passanger seat so it looks like there is someone riding along with you. i cant find them online.
please help!...

Road traffic accidents?
personal injury claims

Is there a law regarding the tyres on a 4 wheel drive?
I have recenty enquired about some new tyres and was told that all 4 tyres have to be identical is this true or just best practice or will 2 seperate pairs do ?...

What car gets the best mpg in the world?

What is the most important thing to remember?
When the air temperature ducks back below freezing. Having shovelled the snow from the walking paths and driveway. Before going out for the evening--What is the most important thing to remember?
<...

Is it possible for the cops to clock your speed when your traveling in opposite directions?

Why do some drivers think that just becuz they R driving the speed limit that they can stay in the left lane?
I hate this. What these narrow minded people don't realize is that on Interstates, 90% of drivers drive 7 - 10 mph over the speed limit. But they don't care, they insist on being narrow ...

What maximum impact speed is survivable for us humans?
I am a keen observer of crash tests and current safety developments in cars. It strikes me as odd that cars are not tested, nor built, to withstand crashes at highway speed. Instead, NCAP and NHTSA ...

Is driving six hours a day considered safe?
I am planning a road trip, but I am not sure how far I could safely drive in a day. If we stopped at a sit-down restaurant at least once a day and probably twice a day (for a break), could I drive ...

My mom just bougth me a car i am 15 and i dont have alicense can i get in alot of problems if the poice stops?

When parking uphill and there is no curb, you should turn your wheels where? ?
When parking uphill and there is no curb, you should turn your wheels...?...

Why do so many speed? Why is it acceptable?
Don't people realize how quickly something bad can happen? Is it worth it? Why not just slow down? Do they think that they are the only ones that matter? Are you getting tired of it like I am? I...

Can you exit a driveway and turn left over a double yellow line?
Can you cross double yellow line in both residential as well as commercial streets?...

Did they change the speed limit to 55 mph nationwide back in the early 70's?

Driving tips?
what are some tips for not getting pulled over by the cops while driving? one of my friends said always go 5 miles under the speed limit....

I started practicing driving yesterday...?
I got my permit about a week ago, and yesterday my dad took me to a mall parking lot (completely empty) and I practiced in his car. Turning/stopping/parking etc basic stuff. My question is: When do I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links