Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Third brake light law?
Find answers to your legal question.

Third brake light law?

Is it a law in the state of Texas to have the 3rd brake light working? I've read its a federal law for the manufacturer to add the 3rd brake light but does it HAVE to be functioning in Texas? Is there a website I can find out? I have checked with the states DPS online and found nothing.

dodge man
our local law in Tennessee does state that if its their on the vehicle it has to be working and if not they do have the right to write a ticket for a malfunctioning safety light,but i couldnt find anything on state laws governing this,i came up empty on a search also on this one,its misdemeanor in this state though, good luck.

TransAmBaby
If it was manufactured on the car...it HAS to be working.

UCANTCME
Rating
I live in Texas and I have been inspecting vehicles for over 30 years and you do not need the third brake light to be working.

There are no laws for it in the state of Texas and you cannot get a ticket for it being out.

pd
Ohio is the same as one of the answers you received, you only need your two brake lights working, it is more of a safety feature to have your third brake light functioning than a citable offense.

alvarz
according to the texas dept of motor vehicles you only need 2 lights.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/veh_class_list.asp?class=Passenger+Car&classsubmit=Go

streetrodmaniac
I don't know about the laws in texas, but I would be very surprised if there was a state in the U.S. that wouldn't write a ticket for a light not working. It's a safety violation, just like a directional, tailight, headlight etc out. Besides when you follow a vehicle that has a 3rd brake light on the rear deck or in a spoiler you expect it to come on when the person steps on the brake, if it doesn't, it takes a second or two for you to realize it's not functional, that could result in disaster. Most likely a bad bulb, simple fix.

koma
yes if the light is on the car it needs to be working and you can get a ticket for not working, however the police will normally just give you a warning..they will use it as a reason to pull you over whenever they want

HLT
I was recently pulled over by a Texas State Trooper because my 3rd brake light was not working on my 2004 1500 Dodge truck. I replaced it with one of my Cargo Lamps that is on each side of the brake lamp 'Till I bought a new one. I received a warning only, but he asked me about my new shocks, where I bought them, did I upgrade when I replaced them, how long I have had the truck, etc. I think he asked all those questions to see If I really owned the truck. Seems this model is popular for car thieves and I think he used the defective light to check.

TBowden
Well if you go to OK they will pull you over if the third light is out because we live in Texas going to Ark and the cop pulled us over.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How do i install my babys car seat in my truck?
I have a 2006 chevy silverado extended cab and now that I have to have the car seat F F it dosent fit it hangs off about 2-3 inches off the front of the seat. How do I install it properly?...

Is it okay to put car seat for 3yr old in an s-10 chevy single cab truck?
i figure ppl do it anyway, but i wanted to make ...

I got a ticket for "failure to yield", but i yielded.?
Okay, here's the skinny. Last night, at 2:20am, i was driving my girlfriend home when i got pulled over. The officer said that I failed to yield when turning onto a major route and that i cut ...

I have a parking problem?
i have the lady across the streets customers blocking me in every morning (I have to go to work and her custormers allways have me blocked in) give me three reasonable ways to solve this solution i ...

Pickup truck bed age riding rules?
In New M...

Iím planning to test drive the new Ikon Diesel next week... I need some input on the safety features?

How can we stop road accidents..please reply soon?

Additional Details
in want easy in 2000 words plz

if you have any link about so ...

Is it safe to drive a small car packed with heavy boxes for a long distance? ?
My 1998 Toyota Camry is loaded with very heavy boxes (i.e. books, record albums, CDs, etc). The car sits much lower to the ground, naturally. Do you think I will be fine to drive it for a 1,000 mile ...

Are bus riders or car riders safer?
Not trying to scare anyone. I am a parent also. A very loving one. But you can't but feel alarmed when you see television programs and news programs that show kids fighting on school buses. Or ...

What is your opinion on drinking and driving?

Where can i find the best deals to purchase winter tires in Toronto?

Craziest Car Wreck Scenario Ever!!?!?
Let's say you're at the of an extremely steep tall mountain >> 1 mile let's say.. and you're CAR is facing downwards.. your car is ON and in REVERSE.. but it is connected ...

People of the Great lakes, and canada heed my cry. How do you drive on ice?
Ok first off I am an Okie, and schools can be closed for one sheet of ice around here. I want to know how to make it to work, how to stay out of the ditches, and how to master the okiebane known as ...

Do you have to let someone in when they merge?
Should the person on the highway speed up or slow down to allow someone to merge into traffic or is it safer to maintain a constant speed?...

I just got my permit so....?
how can i stop being so nervous when i drive?
im a decent driver i dont swerve or anything like that im good at breaking but small turns and sharp turns im no good at and i get nervous like ...

How to change lanes safely ?
driving test
Let say If I Were in the far right lane and the instructor as me to turn left the intersection do i singal and go all the way over at once or lane by ...

I have A 97 Gran Cher 4.0 Lit. but it doesnt have ABS when i slam on the brakes all the tires lock and i slide?
This will be dangerous in the winter if you know how to help please do.. There are not any lights illuminated on my ...

Does a snow plow decrease the effectiveness of an airbag?
A friend was just in an accident and the airbag did not deploy. There is a snow plow on the front of the vehicle and I wonder if the snow plow prevented the impact sensors from detecting sufficient ...

When a seatbelt clip with in place, not fitted to the person who uses it, is it dangerous for smaller drivers?
PLEASE READ! My step-dad uses a seatbelt clip so the seatbelt is not too tight on him. It fits just right to his body size. When my mom gets in the car there is a lot of slack in the seatbelt when ...

I just bought an 8Ft. wide 28 Ft. long travel trailer and will be towing it with a 2004 Envoy. ?
Do I need side mirror extentions to see properly?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links