Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Transporting children age 12 and 8 sharing a lap seat belt, while the younger uses the shoulder strap?
Find answers to your legal question.

Transporting children age 12 and 8 sharing a lap seat belt, while the younger uses the shoulder strap?

a friend was in need of a vehicle and a panel van was offered to him at a very low cost(financially strapped). It has a wide passenger seat and both children fit on it ok. they are able to share the lap belt and the younger uses the shoulder strap. he has to transport the children to and from places and at this time cannot afford to purchase a bench seat to install (with seat belts) in the rear. there is an on and off switch for the air bag which is off. I believe it's not safe, but wonder, is there a law that would restrict this type of seating. In Maryland

seattlesailor2000
Rating
the seat is designed for one passenger only. two children sharing a single seat belt is against the law, stupid and could get both children seriously injured in an accident.

you friend need a vehicle that can legally transport his kids.

what he is doing is a very foolish idea and is not safe

hope this helps

Courage
If Maryland has a seat-belt law, then yes. One seatbelt per passenger is the law for every seat-belt law.

Fred C
Rating
It is very much illegal, not to mention unsafe.

UCANTCME
Rating
In all states the laws are the same...........the number of seat-belts equals the number of people that are allowed to ride in the vehicle......

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it better to get an allignment on your vehicle before or after you buy new tires (or does it matter)?
I am do for both and was planning on getting them done very close together, and maybe even on the same day....

So Called Illegal Taxis?
Why are private for hire or ph taxi vehicles are illegal and risky ?...

How well do you think it would work for different lanes to have different speed limits?
If a freeway is 3 lanes each way, why not have the slow lane with a maximum speed of 55mph (since that's the truck max anyway) then the middle lane 65 and the fast lane 75? Any advantages or ...

Auto racing accident, that the safety equipment did its job?
Can you name a wreck or pit road accident where the safety equipment did its job? any series will do. I am thinking of Dale Jr.'s corvette crash in 2004 and maybe this past weekends wrecks at T...

Whom to petition to have speed bumps placed on road?
These retards living in this other neighborhood are constantly ignoring the stop light, speeding, and racing to "beat" those who have the right of way.

Where do I go and how do I...

California law on no parking signs! please help!?
i got a ticket in Pasadena hundson ave for over time 2hr parking limit i swear i did not see such a sign. I looked on google maps to notice there was no sign where i was parked but there was on at ...

"GILLIGANS ISLAND" themed party, upon arrival they have been rescued what would B cute items/notes left bhind?
"GILLIGANS ISLAND" themed party, upon arrival they have been rescued what would B cute items/notes left bhind?...

Seat belt notification?
how does the vehicle know when you haven't done up your seat belt?
Additional Details
my truck is an old 1986 trooper, I think I may have to take apart the seat belt dealies and see ...

T Intersection with Lights Road Rules. QLD, Australia?
Hi, not sure if I'm in the right section, but I am just about to move into a new house which is located directly at the top of a T intersection. The intersection has traffic lights, so I know ...

Whats the first thing you think when you see a car accident?
What is the first thing you think when you see a car accident? are you shocked? do you want to help? ...

How does a pedestrian use the road?
how does a pedestrian use the ...

Is it legal to ride in the back of a pick-up truck in Ontario?

How do you usually deal with drivers who make gestures at you or give you dirty looks?
How do you usually deal with other drivers who make gestures at you or give you dirty looks? Do you ignore them? Do you retaliate and give them a gesture back? Or do you do something else? This ...

What are the odds of hydroplaning on the interstate in the rain going 70-75 mph?
Is hydroplaning only possible if you hit the brakes and skid? Or could you hydroplane at a consistent speed without braking/slow down or speeding up?

I have good tires on my car and in ...

Baby car seat to fit mondeo?
i have a 97 mondeo lx and am looking into getting 6 month plus car seat but the seat belt is tight on the one we have and that is a standard size ...

Car brake question please help?
I was a little late to class so as I was parking my car in the parking lot, I shifted the car into park (and while I still had my foot on the brakes) accidentally turned the ignition off. Well, the ...

Who is at fault if a driver intentionally slams on brakes, causing you to rear end?
I was driving on a 2-way road that has two lanes going each way. A driver pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me and cut me off. I had to hit the brakes. When there was a safe distance ...

How large is a -6 AN Hose?
I am looking at stainless steel hose for my car, and the sizes are -6 AN, and -8 AN etc. I was curious which size is 1/2 inch, and so on. I thought I might try asking here, before I started searching ...

On average, state the number of times you text while driving each week.?

Your headlights high beam should be able to illuminate someone at least ? feet away?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, October 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links